Another potty training question - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to KoopazMa

[quote=Vectisvagrant;169146]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoopazMa View Post
And anytime he did pee in the house he got his nostrils filled with it

Sorry are you saying you rubbed his nose in his urine ???
Shame on you, your pup deserves better.

Oh wow. Listen, I did NOT violently rub his nose in urine. I guess I should have worded that a little better. My way of speaking sorry. That's the way I have always been told how to potty train pups. All of our friends who have dogs told us that's what they did with their dogs and they turned out to be wonderful pets. I also have never heard that it was a form of abuse. Sorry to offend anyone with my way of potty training. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, but that's the way we did it with cooper and he doesn't pee in the house anymore and he's only 3 months. He actually goes to the door, sits, and waits for us to take him out. He is also a VERY happy puppy. That tail still wags! Do I think he will have long term side effects from me rubbing his nose in his own urine? No, I don't THINK he will, and if he does... well, then shame on me. But right now, he's as happy as can be! Food, water, lovin's, and warm place to sleep and plenty of attention!

And one other thing I would like to mention, you cannot compare dogs and humans. You're right I would never rub a human baby's nose in their own diaper. Because that's a human, that's just.. weird. A baby wouldn't be my pet, that would be my child! You can't sit there and say dogs and humans are equal. Dogs are pets. Humans are not pets. You compare the two, and say not to punish the dog. But when your kid does something he/she isn't suppose to do you put them in time out or whatever you do to discipline your kid.

I'm honestly just shocked that this even came up. If I knew that people thought it was a form of abuse I would have never mentioned it. So again, sorry.
KoopazMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #22 (permalink)

Default Another potty training question

Weren't you saying just 3 weeks ago that you needed help with potty traing and now your saying he is?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Kenziethebasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to KoopazMa

That was a not even a week after I had him. I got him at at 8-9 weeks of age.

I was just wanting some tips/suggestions.. And the feedback I received also played a roll too. And was very helpful. I know im not the doggy training puppy goddess. Trust me, I have a lot to learn. And still intend to come ask questions about cooper and all that jazz. Because I find this forum very helpful and informative. I learn something new every day. Really, my intentions were not to step on toes. My apologies.

KoopazMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #24 (permalink)

Most of you are expecting too much from your puppies and even the ones who seem trained will usually regress at some point and you wonder what happened.Don't expect a house trained dog till at least a year of age,until then do not allow the puppy to have the run of the house,you need to be where he/she is at all times when you can't puppy needs to be confined. Tethering the puppy to you is a good way to keep track of him.If there is an accident and you can catch him just starting to pee you can clap your hands and say NO then rush him outside,if you don't see it happen put the puppy out and don't let him see you clean it up,there are better ways to handle it then putting their face in it.I know old school habits die hard,use to see my parents do that when I was a kid. For those puppies that may seem to go out then come back in the pee next time the puppy goes in the house and you clean it up with paper towels put the soiled towels in a zip lock bag and whe you take the puppy outside next time place those soiled paper towels on the ground where you want him to go, if he thinks he has gone there before he will start to eliminate in that area.At the age of 6 weeks,which ,sorry ,but is way too young to bring home a puppy,but some dippy breeders still allow it,you need to take a puppy that young out every 10-15 min. more often if they are playing and active. From 8-12 weeks old is roughly every 10 to 20 min. From 12 weeks and actually this can be used as a guide for the other ages too. They go out when they get up,after they play ,after they drink,before bed and probably a couple times at night. be consistant and persistant these are dogs of habit. Some will house train with no problem,some early,some later it will all depend on the dog.Don't lose patience they are only babies and even though they are not human babies, they are still babies . I think I'm going to write a book (not that I know everything) on "How to Grow Your Basset" maybe no one will buy it but I'll get a lot of things off my chest
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #25 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

why should she stop when she knows if she keep it up she is going to get let out. You have inadvertently rewarded this behavior that is why you have it getting it to stop is not going to be so easy.

Creating a nitetime ritual

You can try and give her a stuffed konk or other reward and mental challenging task and perhaps that will keep her quite till she falls asleep
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #26 (permalink)

I'd buy your book
I always found when you did catch them going (obviously a failure on your part it really resonated when you picked them up mid pee/poo and straight outside (for them it must be jeez how annoying) - no words - just on their spot. They might have finished, carried on the way there, or the shock of being scooped up they may have stopped and finish on their spot outside... But praise/cookie as usual once on the spot... Back inside (and as Bubbad said clean up but don't let them see you doing it) Also use a special enzyme cleaner that removes all the smells. Regular household ones don't always do the job.
Lol who said they aren't like human babies (or any babies!)? You do get weed and pooped on occasionally....

Last edited by shakespeare; 02-04-2013 at 05:27 PM.
shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #27 (permalink)

@bubbad
(and as Bubbad said clean up but don't let them see you doing it)

Just out of curiosity why not let them see u clean it up?

Kenziethebasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #28 (permalink)

No fuss or seeing one
Only a big good one when they go outside...

Last edited by shakespeare; 02-04-2013 at 05:48 PM.
shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #29 (permalink)

Well all I'll say is Bella is 2 and still pees inside if she feels like it, though she was a little bit different, she didn't come to me until she was 14 weeks old, and had never been outside her shed, so she wouldn't go outside when she came to us, I cannot tell you the hours of standing outside in the middle of winter I had with her, sausage in hand waiting for that glorious outdoor pee!!

Now she is very good most of the time, but still expects a reward when she's been, and still waits for me to put my shoes on before we go out last thing at night, it's been a very slow process, but not once have I ever got mad with her, because she is such a contrary madam, I know for a fact she would go and pee somewhere I couldn't find it. The odd pee once in a while is because I sometimes get complacent when she's being really good, or I've not made sure she's gone before I leave her, so I don't blame her, unless it's when it's raining outside and she takes one look out the door and pees where she likes. But then she could be thinking that I don't look like I'm going outside so why should she?

I think it's best to have a sense of humour then let it get you down. I'd hate to think I was getting mad at my dog because of my failings to teach her properly.
nuttypigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #30 (permalink)

Like I said some sooner some later...... If they see you cleaning up the gifts they have left you they are inticed to leave more. Have you noticed when you go to clean it up if the puppy is anywhere around it runs right over to you trying to figure out what you are doing,being nosey,they are re-smelling what they did,even if you yell at them a puppy has the memory of a fruit fly(actually memory is much better than that) I should say attention span is lacking. Learn to think like a dog.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement