Vacuum - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vacuum

We are needing to get a new vacuum to help suck up Padmés shedding hair. My mom has a Kriby and lets us borrow it from time to time since the one we have now isnt that great. Ive heard great things about dysons though.
Sixguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Dyson = $$$$$$$
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

I dont mind spending the money if its going to get the job done. I dont know how many cheap vacuums we have gone through already and I am just wanting a good one that will pick up her hair.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

I need a good vacuum too! We get the cheapies, and they don't last. I want a bagless one, but am hesitant about getting one of those Dysons. They just seem way too expensive.

Does anyone here have the built in vacuum system where you attach the hose to the wall? Would love to hear about experiences with that.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have the Dyson DC31 and i love it. even the dog love it. he'll even let me vacuum him.
LY909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

We have a Dyson Animal and love it. It has great attachments and is so much nicer to use (I hate house cleaning!). We went through a couple cheaper hoovers -supposedly for pets - but they didn't last (seemed to pack in when OH was hoovering ) I'm not particularly house proud but Margot has allergies so we have to hoover quite often (and they have an attachment to get rid as much as possible, indoor allergens) so for us well worth the pounds/bucks!Especially with your baby on the way - congratulations!

Last edited by shakespeare; 02-01-2013 at 02:38 PM.
shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
We have a Dyson Animal and love it. It has great attachments and is so much nicer to use (I hate house cleaning!). We went through a couple cheaper hoovers -supposedly for pets - but they didn't last (seemed to pack in when OH was hoovering ) I'm not particularly house proud but Margot has allergies so we have to hoover quite often (and they have an attachment to get rid as much as possible, indoor allergens) so for us well worth the pounds/bucks!
This is what I am thinking. I am seeing them around 350.00-500.00 but it will be worth it in the long run. Ive heard of getting for less than 200.00 as refurbs from dyson. Ill need to check into them more this weekend.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

dyson tend to rate low for pet hair by all the testing groups

Best vaccum for Pet Hair
Quote:
What a Pet Vacuum has to have

Suction and Power. Most vacuum cleaners that are made and sold at the department stores are not vacuums at all but should actually be called sweepers instead of vacuums. The concept that they run on is a AGRRESIVE brushroll that sweeps your carpet and then augers the debris to a suction tube on one side. The problem with a suction tube on one side of the vacuum head is what happens to the dirt and pet hair on the other side of the head where there is no suction? The dirt is ground down deep in the carpet and the pet hair WRAPS AROUND THE BRUSHROLL. If you are a pet owner you will know how frustrating it is to constantly be cutting out the hair out of the brushroll. You are doing all the work instead of your vacuum. So what you need is a Vacuum with lots of power and the suction power cleans your carpet over the brushroll. That way instead of the pet hair wrapping around the brushroll it is sucked into the vacuum and into the bag chamber. How is this done? Your vacuum needs lots of power AND it needs to have the suction tubing IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HEAD. That way you have suction power all the way across the head so the pet hair is sucked up vs. wrapping around the brushroll.

Large vacuum tubing. You need to have large vacuum tubing so there is plenty of power and the pet hair does not clog in your vacuum tubing but make it to your bag.

Stiff bristled Brushroll. The brushroll bristles should be fairly stiff so that it “combs” your carpet of pet hair.

What a Pet Vacuum should NOT have

1. Suction tube on one side of the head (it should be in the middle of the head)
2. Small vacuum tubing
3. Vacuum Tubing that has lots of bends or turns in it. It is right there that it will clog.
4. Soft bristle brushroll

If you get a chance I would suggest you read the March 2007 edition of the Consumer Reports Magazine. That specific edition tested a bunch of vacuums on how well they picked up pet hair. There were some surprising losers like the Dyson Pet Vacuum.

Some Vacuums we would not suggest for pet owners

1. Dyson Vacuum. James Dyson is a genius at marketing and he knows that people are looking for a pet vacuum. So he created one called the Dyson Animal. The problem with the Dyson is that it has the suction tube on one side of the head, has small vacuum tubing and has lots of curves to the tubing. They have been known to clog with pet hair as a result.
2. Oreck Vacuum. The Oreck is the light weight easy to use vacuum. It’s a fact though when you give up weight you give up power. So the Oreck has decent suction but more of a aggressive brushroll. It does it right and at least has the suction tube in the middle of the head but from experience that we have seen it does not quite have the suction power to bring the pet hair all the way up to the bag. As a result they have been known to clog with pet hair.

Last edited by Mikey T; 02-01-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well... we never have had a problem(at all!) and I would highly recommend it.
FWIW
Old 02-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

I went through so many vacuum cleaners until I bought my Dyson. It not only gets the hair up but you can disassemble it and wash the entire unit with soapy water. This is a nose saver because I used to turn my others on and they would smell just like Bentley.
M. K. Clinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement