Dog park question - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dog park question

Hi all,
Unfortunately in Paris we don't have a lot of dog parks around but we've now found one a bit out of town. We want to get Harvey a bit more socialized with other dogs than just the ones we see on our walks. He gets REALLY excited when we see other dogs and can sometimes scare/annoy especially the smaller dogs with his enthusiasm. We've been to dog parks a few times when Harvey was younger and the last time a bigger dog sort of growled and snapped at Harvey out of nowhere so it left me with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. The owner wasn't helpful at all but just said it was because Harvey was on a leash..?
Anyway I just wanted to ask for advice on how to deal our first trips to the park. Should I keep Harvey on a leash since I know that otherwise he will just run (over excited) to the other dogs and maybe not be as subtle as one might hope. I might add that Harvey has never shown any aggression against other dogs even when they have nipped him for being a nosy pup. So will the leash beat the purpose of socializing him with other dogs and should I just let them work it out between them..? I'm just afraid that Harvey will get bitten or something if I seem overprotective it's probably cause I was aggressed and bitten by a stray dog some years ago and before Harvey I was actually quite afraid of dogs..since Harvey I'm not even nervous about dogs I don't know but that snapping at the park did bring back nasty memories :/

Sorry for the long message but I just don't wanna be neither over protective nor get Harvey (or another dog!) hurt/scared etc. Thank you all in advance for the advice!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
HarveyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

At my local dog park there is never anybody there so I let Padmé run free. Now if somebody were to show up I might put her back on a leash because she is super friendly and I am not sure how the other dogs will take to her.
Sixguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
I might add that Harvey has never shown any aggression against other dogs even when they have nipped him for being a nosy pup.

I suggest you do some reading you might find your interpretation of what is an is not appropriate behavior could change

He Just wants to say hi!
Aggression or appropriate response to rudeness? Far too many dogs suffer because handlers & trainers don't know the difference between the two.

Dogs Use Non-Aggressive Fighting to Resolve Conflicts

Is Your Dog’s Rough Play Appropriate?
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Our city does not have a dog park but there is a group trying to get the mayor to approve one. If we are fortunate enough to get one, I would definately keep my dog on a leash. Even if you know how your pup will react, you never can tell about another. Plus, my Bentley can go from 1 m.p.h. to 50 m.p.h. in zero to sixty seconds!
M. K. Clinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Another thing to consider is- WHO is at the dog park? Our local dog park is mostly good, but we have seen a couple of instances of dogs being really aggressive with other dogs. Perhaps there is some sort of basset group that you could find? I find that some other dogs don't understand "hound"
Austin&Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

We go to the dog park a lot. I have found that dogs on leashes seem to get picked on. Even worse-- dogs that are being held in their owner's arm (invitation for others to jump and nip for some reason).

All dogs over one year are supposed to be fixed at our park. The intact male puppies aren't as popular with the older neutered dogs-- I think they are jealous. Cooper hasn't had many problems. Even when it gets rough, you just have to pay attention to if your dog is having fun. Lyla is still a puppy, and can get intimidated by more "forward" big dogs. I try to prevent it, because when she get really scared, she just starts snapping/yapping to "protect" herself even though no one is really after her. Once she goes into that mental zone, I either get between her and whatever dogs is upsetting her, or take her out if she doesn't relax. I don't know if that is the right thing to do, but once she starts up, ALL the dogs come running over, which just makes it worse. Cooper just shakes his head at his scardey-cat sister.

You'll be surprised at which dogs your dog makes friends with. They really have a fun time, and run hard! When wrestling, I make sure the other dog isn't an ear-biter. Catch and release is okay, but some dogs take advantage of those beautiful long ears! No problems so far (been going for a year and a half.)

Everyone comments on how much faster the bassets are than they expect. People love the baying, too-- for a while. I hope you and Harvey have fun!
Cooper&Lyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hi all and thanks for your replies!
Just to clarify to Mikey T I was just trying to say that Harvey hasn't been aggressive against other dogs in any situation (hasn't growled or snapped etc) and the over enthusiasm as well as the rude behavior that follows is exactly what I'm hoping to fix by having him spend more time with other dogs to teach him what is acceptable and what is too much.. I'm under no false impression that poor Harvey is just getting picked on by these other dogs that we see on our walks! Heck if someone three or four times my size was running towards me with ears flapping and drool flying around and the started sniffing/licking/trying to play with me I'd be scared and annoyed! So I don't mind the other dogs correcting Harvey with me. I just thought the more Harvey has the possibility to spend time with other dogs the more he has a possibility to learn and maybe he would get less excited as time goes by...

Old 02-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

And to Cooper&Lyla, would you then recommend letting Harvey off leash (considering the other dogs that are there of course)? And do you know what is it that makes the tied dogs to get picked on more cause that's what the lady implied when her dog snapped at Harvey.. Thanks for your advice! we're going to the park on Sunday and I'm really looking forward to it!!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

We frequently go to a dog park and usually a few scuffles will erupt but they are all resolved on their own. I have two young bassets fairly close in age and am used to this kind of behavior. To an outsider sometimes my dogs look like they are trying to kill each other but there is never any blood or injuries. My boys are also a little too friendly sometimes to other dogs but the other dogs always let them know when enough is enough...with a snap or growl and my boys back off. We are lucky here though and there are two parks side by side..one for dogs 35lbs and under and one for bigger dogs.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
and the over enthusiasm as well as the rude behavior that follows is exactly what I'm hoping to fix by having him spend more time with other dogs to teach him what is acceptable and what is too much

i Would not recommend on leash because it creats a problem and often the need for the dog on lea to act more aggressively because they do not have the option of leaving a situation. That said you may want to go a couple times first without the dog talk to other dog owners get the level of socialness of individual dogs etc then you have an idea of who too let Harvey play with who not to.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement