Regression - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Regression

Spartacus has recently within the past month, starting to pee in the floor EVERY MORNING, and we all know Basset pee------ isn't a small puddle. But it seems like he is regressing.

Every morning, he's the first one we "wake up" (we have 2 kids as well, so we take care of him before getting the kids ready) so when we go down to let him out, there's a monsterous puddle in the floor. Same spot, every time.

He's always had accidents, but for a good while they were at extreme minimum. But now this is an everyday reoccurance. He isn't fully house trained, he prefers to be outside as opposed to inside. So his time inside is limited to him coming in at night.

If we bring him in, there's constant barking until we take him back out. Which makes it a pain, here in Virginia where the weather can't make it's mind up and he HAS to stay in. (snow one day, 60s the next, sever storm/tornado warning, and chance of snow again.) This was just in the past 2 weeks here! So i don't know if maybe he's getting confused with the weather.

He is 10 months old, can anybody help! I would love to have my boy inside with us, but he just does not want to be an indoor dog.

Keira - 5yrs (human)
Kallen - 2yrs (human)
Spartacus - 10mos (tri basset)
KPerryX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Has he been checked for a UTI or other medical issue?
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

It is more likely he has learned that is the spot to go in the morning. and linger scent remind him of that fact You are going to have to prevent his access to that spot.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

I haven't taken him to check for UTI, he doesn't seem bothered when i take him out and he goes. He goes about 2 times during a walk, and doesn't seem bothered.

I think we will have to cut access to that spot. Is it okay for him to be outside at all times (weather permitting) like he is? I feel like he doesn't get as much interaction as we would like. I'm hoping Spring/Summer will be of more help. We can't really go out and play with him too much (the kids at least) during these months. We still interact with him as much as possible, and he LOVES play time.

I'm hoping it's the weather, and he's just confused that he's now inside more than he's used to.

Thank you both!!! I think I am going to try and block his 'usual spot' off! Hopefully this helps.

Keira - 5yrs (human)
Kallen - 2yrs (human)
Old 01-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi Neighbor! I didn't realize you were in Lynchburg. I know exactly what you mean about our weather (UGH).

I really only have two peeing issues with mine. Jake (who actually came from L'Burg 13 years ago) pee's on his sisters food bowl if she doesn't leave him anything and I don't get to him quick enough (been like this with 3 sisters).

and Ellie (6 mos) will try to squat in the morning (she sleeps upstairs with me) before we hit the door unless I "excitedly" hustle her along. Maybe you could try that??

As for the "outdoor" dog aspect, Not much experience with that. Mine our kinda' indoor dogs (like me!) However, on a real pretty day (not hot, not cold) they do tend to stay out a bit longer.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think it's a good idea to have a vet check him out, just to make sure everything is OK physically. Since he's suddenly peeing a lot more in the house than he used to, you should rule out a physical problem.

You also might need to make his last potty break at night a little later than you have been and/or get up earlier in the morning to let him out.
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wioleta View Post
I think it's a good idea to have a vet check him out, just to make sure everything is OK physically. Since he's suddenly peeing a lot more in the house than he used to, you should rule out a physical problem.

You also might need to make his last potty break at night a little later than you have been and/or get up earlier in the morning to let him out.
He's been without accident thus far since this weekend. I think we will have to get up earlier though. My husband works 2nd shift and doesn't come home until 12am, so he lets Spartacus out around 1am. so he was going between 1am-7am.

Keira - 5yrs (human)
Kallen - 2yrs (human)
Old 02-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hello Neighbor!!!!

It's good to see a fellow Virginian, especially so close!! We got Spartacus from a breeder in Richmond! We couldn't find one in Lynchburg. It's amazing how big he's gotten. We will be celebrating his birthday in April. Time flies.

Keira - 5yrs (human)
Kallen - 2yrs (human)

Last edited by KPerryX4; 02-05-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

good luck neighbor. NO advice that has not been covered already. I do limit Norman's access to water at night. no more accidents. the weather has been crazey this winter and norman loves the snow to play in and to eat.
newton'sdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Our Maddie was born in April! She will be turning 6 on the 3rd.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement