Taking our Bassett on vacation - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Taking our Bassett on vacation

We are about to book and house for the beach. We are wondering if anyone has ever taken their dog to the beach, and how the car ride goes. Is there any reason at all we shouldn't take Dooley with us to the beach? The house we are going to rent is now pet friendly! we just don't think we can leave her for a whole week! How do bassets do from going from the mountain to a sandy beach? Any concerns we should have or worry about? Thank you! Taking our Bassett on vacation-imageuploadedbypg-free1359592075.011487.jpg And just a little picture of our angel!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Dooley Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

We've taken Molly with us to Michigan several times (8-hour car ride each way), and she is great on the trip. Although my parents live near Lake Huron, we haven't taken her to the beach. She does like to splash around a little at the edge of their pond, though.

I've seen lots of pictures on this site of bassets at the beach, so I think a lot of them like it.
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Why not, mine would all love it and especially if they could find a dead fish. Has she ever ridden in the car before?

If not I would start with small rides and see how she does.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

My two love the beach. We live near the south coast in the UK. They are not keen to go in the sea (obviously not great swimmers either). To be honest they don't even paddle and back away as the waves come close, but they love the smells and the space. Seaweed, dead fish and many other bits of interesting stuff to sniff.

With car journeys if your dog hasn't travelled much before, try some small rides as others have suggested. When we got Harry as a puppy, he didn't like the car, so I spent a whole week doing a 20 minute round trip on a daily basis to get him use to it. He barked and messed in the back, but armed with wet wipes, cloths, and poop bags and stopping in every layby between here and the next village to clean up we did it. After a week he was fine and now travels like a dream. I had a cage in the back of the car for him which made cleaning up easier and I was also advised to put a towel over the top of it to make it more cosy. Not sure if that helped or not. However now we have two Bassets they just sit in the back of my estate car very happily, even on long journeys.

Hope you have a great vacation!
Basset Mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley Dog View Post
We are about to book and house for the beach. We are wondering if anyone has ever taken their dog to the beach, and how the car ride goes. Is there any reason at all we shouldn't take Dooley with us to the beach? The house we are going to rent is now pet friendly! we just don't think we can leave her for a whole week! How do bassets do from going from the mountain to a sandy beach? Any concerns we should have or worry about? Thank you! Attachment 5202 And just a little picture of our angel!

oh she's precious!
does she swim in that pool? I swim at my grandhoominz house

We went to the beach in October. Hoominz boarded us down there.
We slept in the car alot.
Heck we slept on the beach a lot the day they took us there after springing us from the clink.
Lots of fun smells.
I was a'scared of the waves tho. They rushed up and I jumped. I like the sand better.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Old 01-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Old 01-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Old 01-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Old 01-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Taking our Bassett on vacation

Dooley rides in the car on some short trips but sometimes does a little pee on who's lap she is sitting on so we are going have to work on that and no she has not gone for a swim yet we got her in late September I hope she will learn this summer any help will be helpful we love reading all the stories it is so so helpful in this basset world we live in

Dooley Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement