New puppy - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectisvagrant View Post
Would not be vaccinating him any earlier than 8 weeks if not 9/10 when maternal antibodies have waned, any earlier & I've read that the vaccine will not take sufficiently to give full immunity.
It can take up to 20 weeks or even more for maternal antibodies to wane, and yes, they interfere with the vaccines and prevent them from being effective. This is why a series of shots is given. We don't know when the maternal antibodies have worn off, but we want the pup to be protected. So the shots are started early and given periodically so that when the antibodies do wear off the pup is unprotected for as little time as possible. This is also one reason why we occasionally see a "fully vaccinated" pup get parvo.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
In the UK it's two weeks after the final vaccination (28 days from the first vac), this can vary I believe from 9 days depending on the type of vaccine used but I've always been informed that it is better to ere on the safe side & wait the full 14 days. But it doesn't mean that you can't take your pup out - just no paws on the ground - we took ours out in the car, to friends (without dogs) & even for walks carrying the pup in an adapted sports bag! Know some will take theirs out 7 days after the first vac but for me I'd rather just be safe.
does more hare than good being overprotective

AVSAB Position Statement On Puppy Socialization

Quote:

The primary and mostimportanttime for puppy socialization is the first three months of life.1, 2 During this time puppies should be exposed to as many new people, animals, stimuli and environments as can be achieved safely and without causing overstimulation manifested as excessive fear, withdrawal or avoidance behavior. For this reason, the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior believes that it should be the standard of care for puppies to receive such socialization before they are fully vaccinated.

Behavioral problems are the greatest threat to the owner-dog bond. In fact, behavioral problems are the number one cause of relinquishment to shelters.3 Behavioral issues, not infectious diseases, are the number one cause of death for dogs under three years of age.
While puppies’ immune systems are still developing during these early months, the combination of maternal immunity, primary vaccination, and appropriate care makes the risk of infection relatively small compared to the chance of death from a behavior problem.
AVSAB=American Veterinarian Society of Animal Behavior
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #23 (permalink)

Default New puppy

Well we got our sweet Sadie today!!! She is doing well played with my little boys and is now peacefully sleeping in her crate New puppy-imageuploadedbypg-free1359841583.456637.jpgNew puppy-imageuploadedbypg-free1359841594.589351.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
*Sadie* and the Browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #24 (permalink)

Congratulations!!!! She's a cutie. Keep us posted on how she is doing.
BubbaLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #25 (permalink)

Default New puppy

She is def doing great, only exception would be the fleas but I am going to the vet first thing Monday to get her taken care of. Here are some pics of her sleeping to make you all smile New puppy-imageuploadedbypg-free1359845572.427873.jpgNew puppy-imageuploadedbypg-free1359845579.564261.jpg

Old 02-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #26 (permalink)

Default New puppy

So cute !!! Dooley had a major problem with fleas when we picked her up at 13 weeks old we have a neighbor that is a retired vet and he told us to wash her in dish soap ( like dawn or joy) soap her up real good then wrap her in a towel for 15 min. Don't let her get cold then rinse off and dry her good at that age we could dry her with the hair dyer it really helped us!

Dooley Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #27 (permalink)

Default New puppy

Sadie sleeping on the towel I had her dinner bowl on last night, I believe she had gone into a food coma!!New puppy-imageuploadedbypg-free1359918290.989861.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
New puppy-imageuploadedbypg-free1359918264.830528.jpg  
Old 02-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #28 (permalink)

What a beautiful pup! Just hold her and keep her close and she will be a love! I had a collie that was weaned at 6 weeks, and she was an excellent dog. Hounds may be different, but I bet you can give her what she needs.
Rosiemylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:38 AM   #29 (permalink)

Default New puppy

So is she spoiled yet?

CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #30 (permalink)

Default New puppy

Yes she is already!! She did much better sleeping last night, probably slept from 10-430am straight through

Sponsored Links
Advertisement