Time between needing to pee - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Time between needing to pee

Iv never had a basset so I'm wondering if its normal for him to whine and need to go out and pee every 30-45 min. He goes every time and I don't think he's holding it just to go out again.

We just adopted him and he's about 4 or 5. I'm taking him to the vet Friday for his first visit so I'll ask him then.

My initial though was either that he has a small bladder or a bladder infection or something along those lines.

So whatcha think?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Paulg287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

depend on the activity level of the dog activity makes urine so if he is active no not unusal but if not he may have a medical problem most commom being a UTI (urinary tract infection)
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

How long has he been with you? Our eldest joined us at 9 months & for the first couple of weeks was quite stressed, heavy drooling & going out to urinate frequently, he soon settled down, had previously lived alone in a garden shed. Having a vet look him over is the first thing to do & when you go on Friday remember to take a fresh/recent urine sample with you. Good luck
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would suggest that this isn't normal, much as it may be part of him settling in with you. Males will urinate more often than bitches - the need to over-c ock. However, for an adult to actually empty that often rather than just want out to wander around out there, could well indicate something medical going on. Does he have a good flow first time? Does he then go to a few drips and drops/leave a trail? Can he hold at all - during the night?

He could either have a UTI which once diagnosed should be easily cleared up with antibiotics (collect a fresh sample of his urine to take in with you when you see the vet) or bladder stones. This is a potentially more worrying condition because if the stones get big enough, he will block up. And that's obviously an emergency situation. His urine will be dark in colour which if you have snow, should be easily seen!!

ps there is also the possibility, if he's drinking loads, that he could have diabetes.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

more than a few basset that are rewarded for going in an appropriate place are more than willing to scam the system to get extra treats by saying they have to go out more often than they really need to.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Time between needing to pee

He can hold it all night. Never had an accident. Only had him a couple of days. His urine is solid yellow. I don't know if you would call it dark or not but id say its dark than mine. But he has a very solid stream and it will trickle out like he's empty. But like last night he went about 3 hours without going out. So I'll mention it to the vet and see what he says. I'll get a sample too. Thanks guys!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Paulg287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post
more than a few basset that are rewarded for going in an appropriate place are more than willing to scam the system to get extra treats by saying they have to go out more often than they really need to.

hey......stop talking about my sophie!!! btw, the term we use at our house is "fake squat" : - )

Last edited by 3kbasset; 01-23-2013 at 02:26 PM.
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mine will "fake it" for the extra treats, however, Jake will go anytime you put him out. I don't know if it is because he is male, or older and a prostrate thing. Ellie will definitely fake it for treats... manipulative little bitch!

I would rule out medical first, then go with they are scamming you if it is not medical. They are a cagey breed!

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement