Help with Slim - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

I've had MERSA not fun interesting though
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Default Help with Slim

Annie has an armpit that looks almost exactly like that!! Not quite as red and angry, but similar. I'm not sure what triggers her urge to start licking at the pit, but once she does the area turns pink. I have used Nu-Stock (purchased on amazon, its a cream used on various animals with skin conditions) with some success. The most successful thing is for me to limit her access to the arm pit by having her wear a shirt. That gives the wound time to heal. Would love to know the cause though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #13 (permalink)

I think however you had better find out what it is bacteria or yeast, if it is yeast I would not give him antibiotics as it can make the problem worse.

I had read this before then Turtle had some yeast thing going on in her ears from a loaf of bread ( she can't have carbs ) and then got an infected tooth gave her antibiotics and holy moly her ear just started running.

So now I'm back to trying to get her ears back to good and trying and trying.

It's not fun trying to figure out what triggers them they are all different. Keep us posted. This is how we all learn.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hi everybody, thought we might give a update. Slim has been getting a foot powder under his front legs twice a day now. I also added two tablespoond of yogurt to his breakfast and dinner. And I am adding a teaspoon of ACV to their water daily. As far progress, it seems that his armpits have gone from a very angry red to more calm pink color. As far as the scratching the jury is still out. Ithink its to early in the treatment to tell. One footnote Molly my older Bassett is not happy with all the attention Slim is receiving. Thanks again for the help and support. Stay tuned MIKE B
mikeb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

I would take him to the vet as I and others suggested. Maybe the colour has gone down but if he is still scratching - it's bothering him. He needs a skin swab. To add scratching is a huge problem - yeast go to bacterial infections...and maybe it's bacterial - you don't know unless it is tested.

It is impossible for anyone to properly diagnose a problem over the internet. Of course we can offer what something might be, sound like, look like, our experience, what has worked and hasn't - but in NO way is this a diagnosis. This is the problem with the internet - it is not a substitute for a vet!
BUT it's a great place to hear others' experiences, things that help, and just a mutual love for our breed

Last edited by shakespeare; 01-23-2013 at 07:59 PM.
shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement