Help me plz! - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #21 (permalink)

I have had a couple of bassets, mostly girls, Jake is my only boy and he did seem to take longer to "get it"... Stay consistent and lots of trips outside. when he goes outside have a mini party... I always keep a treat in my pocket (currently training Ellie). Now that he is MUCH older (13) he now goes straight to the cookie jar when we come inside. I agree, punishment isn't helpful, rewards (food) seem to motivate him.

Watch for the "signs" Jake paces when he needs to go. Ellie sits by the door (briefly).

I always put both out after sleeping immediately, right after meals, then again about 20 min later after meals (to get it all out) and for Ellie after play. This seems to work well.

Ellie's training (she is 6 mo now) was going very well, until we got snow... she wants NO part of that white stuff! So she is using her piddle pad.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #22 (permalink)

I swear for the first 3 or 4 months i had a rag and cleaner in my hand 24/7 ( i had 2 pups at once) It was prob a good 6 months before they got the hang of it. They just turned 1 and we still have accidents (more like too lazy to go out in the cold!) But consistency is key and be patient. Its gonna be few months of cleaning but worth it
stayc811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:49 AM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to KoopazMa

We just tried Cheese as a treat with Cooper and he LOVES it! But I also do NOT want to have an overweight basset, don't know if "overtreating" with cheese will cause that. And I took an oath with myself that he would strictly eat doggie food. But, if thats what he likes and thats going to help the potty process, by golly coopers gonna get some cheese!

Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone! It has been extremely helpful, you have no idea.
KoopazMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #24 (permalink)

Default Help me plz!

When potty training Gus we just used his kibble as treats. Now we have 2 boys 9 months and 11 months and still have accident. Usually are our fault though not theirs. Sometimes I just don't move fast enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Gus218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #25 (permalink)

Only dog food.......whats a basset to do? Mine would go on strike. And I mostly make my own treats. Mine love liver and cheese.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Moderator

This is not aimed at the poster, but am I alone in thinking that the expectation of owners regarding house training is ludicrous, naively optimistic & even detrimental? Did not get a pup until could be with him almost full time & was under no illusion that I'd be spending a lot of time on my hands & knees washing floors, knowing 99.9% it would be my fault. My only thoughts at 3 months were that our pup was healthy, happy, eating well & knowing Bassets are notoriously indifferent to house training that I still had my sense of humour. But having been on the forum for a couple of months it seems every week a new owner is surprised & 'non to happy' that their pup is 'stubborn or deliberately' weeing in their house, 3, 4 & 5, month pups are expected to be house trained let alone have a bladder large enough to get them through the night without anyone having to get up. Rather than taking a pup out on a lead & praising it when it goes, many are left to their own devises as if they innately know that to do when put out side. Left alone at night, a pup whines, how inconvenient, no thought that the babe has just left it's mum & siblings but hey it should settle down in a couple of nights. Sorry for the rant but whether it's because the Basset is so appealing in looks but have never come across so many questions & unrealistic expectations, which surely you ask, read about, have a mentor before you're just smitten with the idea of owning a pup.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, this is a major reason why dogs end up either in shelters or tied in back yards. People purchase a puppy, often on impulse or else in a big rush ( how often do we advise people to take their time and find a good breeder, only to see them purchase the first (cheap) puppy they can find?), and have little to no idea what is involved in raising a pup and seem to expect it to "just know" what is expected. By the time they decide they need help is it often too little too late and it's easier and cheaper to simply get rid of the dog.

OTOH, I see a lot of similar expectations on the low-carb forum I'm on. Newbies are complaining after two weeks that their weight loss has stalled after losing "only" 5-10 pounds. They think that 20-30 years of accumulated fat should disappear overnight, and then they can go back to eating "normally".

Everybody wants everything NOW.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #28 (permalink)

Not to mention the puppy came from a pet store where it would deficate on a wire floor which makes it that much harder to train a pup to go on footing it is not a custom to.Not impossible just harder
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbad View Post
Not to mention the puppy came from a pet store where it would deficate on a wire floor which makes it that much harder to train a pup to go on footing it is not a custom to.Not impossible just harder
Sorry I don't mean to come over as 'Too Fluffy' but some posts make me weep for the pups.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbad View Post
Not necessarily. None of the pet stores in my area keep their pups on wire. When I was a teenager I worked at a pet store and we kept the pups very clean. Of course, there's no telling what conditions they were raised in before we got them, but our pups came from pet owners whose dogs had a litter (mainly mixed breeds) rather than from a commercial source.

But pet store puppies *are* often harder to housebreak.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement