Unacceptable chewing - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Unacceptable chewing

Hey guys.

Just wanting some tips on chewing.
Our boy has lots of toys but there is one thing that he always goes back to... The sofas! He grumbles and moans and sometimes gets aggressive with them. We tell him no alllll the time! When I tap him on the nose he thinks I'm playing then starts biting my hand and moaning.
He also attacks my slippers but he just won't take no for an answer, it's as if he can't take me seriously at all.

When he is chewing furniture he looks at me and groans as if he wants to get a reaction out of me. I try swapping with a toy but after a few minutes he runs back to the furniture. The only time I get a break is when he is sleeping. But as soon as he wakes up, has toilet he gets all hyper again.

Is there anything I could spray on the furniture to keep him off it?? Any advice would be great. Cheers guys xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

you can try a bittering agent like bitter apple. mine for instance found it to be a condiment,

the problem you are having is not his chew but lack of supervision. when you can not supervise him provide either a safe room. a safe area ie x pen or use a crate managment is a real solution here and it prevent learning bad habits.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

when it comes to teething and chewing each dog has its unique preferences I find it much more usefull to make sure his chew toys match this preferrence,. If the dog is chewy the woodem table leg. the woden legs of the sofa etc.. make sure his chew toys are wood as well, you get the idea. You will have much more
success with having the dog use his chew toys this way,
Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

I recommend crate training.

We crate trained Maddie for her first year. Whenever we couldn't supervise her, she was in the crate. Trips to the store, bedtime, when I was cleaning house or taking a shower and so on, she was in the crate. It was the best thing we could have done - she's never chewed furniture or shoes, etc. We sold the crate after that first year, and have never lookied back.

She's almost 6 now, and does none of the unwanted behaviors described by many Basset owners; i.e., counter surfing, getting in the trash, chewing, etc. She's not as food driven either, and we can have food available to her at all times.

I hope you're able to solve the chewing problem soon.

-San.

Last edited by -SAN.; 01-17-2013 at 07:32 PM.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

I wouldn't hit your dog on the nose. They sad never to punish your dog

Kenziethebasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

I, too, have a bit of a chewing problem with Ellie. However, she is not so interested in chewing on "stuff" (other than coasters) as much as ME. She leaves most objects alone, but my "arm" seems to be quite tasty by her standards. She has eased off on this, but once in awhile, when she gets in her "crazy" mode, then I guess I am tasty.

"No" has no effect on her (actually seems to excite her). I have tried ignoring her, gently pulling away (as not to scar myself!)... Just when she is in her crazy mode (I refer to it as "crack puppy") nothing seems to work. I don't remember if Jake was like this (its been 13 years) I just pray she will either get it or out grow it.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Joey tends to be really good when he is left on his own though. We don't have a crate but if I'm out of the house he gets confined to the kitchen. He doesn't chew anything.
If I'm upstairs he will either follow me up or sit in his bed downstairs. The chewing is always when myself or my partner are in the room with him. We play with him constantly to get his mind off chewing the furniture.
Usually when he does it, it starts off with us playing with him then he starts groaning and biting our arms and feet then pulling clothes. He has ripped lots of my clothes from it.. We shout "no" then he runs to the furniture.
The furniture he loves to chew is all wood, I've never seen any wooden dog toys though that I could buy for him.
He has a kong toy now which I fill with peanut butter. This distracts him for around 10 minutes then he goes wacky again. Xx

Old 01-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I've never seen any wooden dog toys though that I could buy for him.

lol go to the local lumber year , they general have a cull pile where they sell the bent twisted lumber no one wants at a discount puy a 2 x 4 and cut it up into 12" long section should get 8 toys for about a buck
Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

For Arthur's chewing, we've just found it easiest to keep that stuff away from him. Of course, you can't really do that with furniture...

I hope you're able to resolve the issue. Maybe when he starts chewing on the furniture, you can redirect his attentions to an appropriate chewy? Just a thought.
ArthurMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Cheers guys. Seriously I try all sorts to keep him from chewing the sofas but he just can't get enough of them haha.
The only real way of stopping him is to walk into the kitchen and open the fridge! X

Sponsored Links
Advertisement