Non Basset help needed, if possible - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Non Basset help needed, if possible

This has nothing to do with my hound but I wanted to see if anyone here can offer some good news before my vet opens tomorrow. I tool my cat to the vet cauae he's been limping. The vet determined he sprained a ligament or tendons in his wrist joint. She sent me home with oral metacam for him for five days. I've never used metacam so I was reading online about it and everywhere I turn it warns that its dangerous for cats and has been known to cause renal failure. He was given a dose today by the vet. Let me add that this is not my normal vet as they had no appts until the 28th. I've used this vet before when my vet had no open appts, so its not the first time. I fully intend to call my regular vet in the morning and talk to them before giving him more. I guess I just need my mind put to ease that the one dose he was given today won't hurt him.... He's my baby, 11 years old, had him since he was 7 weeks old... I'm beside myself right now.

Loving a basset hound takes great patience, but is the most rewarding experience in the world!!
Noba's_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

most nsaid and pain reliever are more likely to cause these types or problems in cats than dogs or humans, that said the risk is still realitively small even with routine use.

Last edited by Mikey T; 01-16-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

That's a tough one......knowing me I might not give it. That said I am giving Turtle something right now that may cause her liver to fail. Hows that for being a hypocrite!

I really don't know about the stuff just sayin if that's your baby I'd think hard about it, but don't fret the one dose. I guess it would depend on how much pain your cat is in. Maybe she needs to just lay around and be lazy for a few days.

I wish I new more. I hope she gets better soon.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement