Opinions on heartworm meds - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Opinions on heartworm meds

Hi guys. Just curious what you all think of monthly heartworm. Ive been giving it to my 2 babies every month but I feel like everybody I talk so says they dont bother? I do flea and heartworm monthly at the same time so not to forget.
stayc811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

I do both of those every month (heart worm and flea/tick).
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

I do heartworm every month but I wonder living in Idaho where it's so cold right now if we need the flea/ticks guard during winter season?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Emma's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

We don't use either. Our vet said there's never been a case of heart worm here that the dog got here. Some have gotten it elsewhere. No fleas either. Global warming will probably change both eventually.

CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

US heartworm society as changed there recommendation on hearworm preventitive to year round because of the introduction of an asian mesquito that can reproduce in much smaller bodies of water so are present in urban areas year round

Current Guidelines
Quote:
Diagnostics: AHS recommends annual antigen testing. Antigen-positive dogs should be tested for the presence of microfilariae.
Prevention: AHS recommends year-round administration of chemoprophylactic drugs to prevent heartworm disease, enhance compliance, and control pathogenic and/or zoonotic parasites.
Adulticide therapy: AHS recommends use of the three-dose regimen of melarsomine (one injection of 2.5 mg/kg body weight followed at least one month later by two injections of the same dose 24 hours apart) for treatment of heartworm disease in both symptomatic and asymptomatic dogs. Any method utilizing only macrocyclic lactones as an adulticide is not recommended.

Heartworm infection in dogs has been diagnosed around the globe, including all 50 of the United States. In the United States, its territories and protectorates, heartworm is considered at least regionally endemic in each of the contiguous 48 states, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, and Guam. Heartworm transmission has not been documented in Alaska; however, there are regions in central Alaska that have mosquito vectors and climate conditions to support the transmission of heartworms for brief periods. Thus, the introduction of microfilaremic dogs or wild canids could set up a nidus of infection for autochthonous transmission of heartworm in this state. Such relocation of microfilaremic dogs and expansion of the territories of microfilaremic wild canids in other areas of the United States continue to be important factors contributing to further dissemination of the parasite, as the ubiquitous presence of one or more species of vector competent mosquitoes makes transmission possible wherever a reservoir of infection and favorable climatic conditions co-exist.
Environmental changes created by humans and changes in natural climatic conditions, as well as animal movement have increased heartworm infection potential. Commercial and residential real estate development of non-endemic areas and areas of low incidence has led to the resultant spread and increased prevalence of heartworms by altering drainage of undeveloped land and by providing water sources in new urban home sites. In the western United States, irrigation and planting of trees has expanded the habitat for Aedes sierrensis (western knot hole mosquito), the primary vector for transmission of heartworms in those states. Aedes albopictus (Asian tiger mosquito), which was introduced into the Port of Houston in 1985, has now spread north, approaching Canada and past the Rocky Mountains to the west coast. This urban-dwelling mosquito is able to reproduce in small containers such as flower pots. In the northern half of the United States, urban sprawl has led to the formation of “heat islands,” as buildings and parking lots retain heat during the day and subsequently radiate it during the night (Figure 1). This can potentially create microenvironments that support development of heartworm larvae in mosquito vectors during colder months, thus lengthening the transmission season.
notice you are in pa
"
Quote:
The highest infection rates (up to 45%) in dogs (not maintained on heartworm preventive) are observed within 150 miles of the Atlantic and Gulf coasts from the Gulf of Mexico to New Jersey and along the Mississippi River and its major tributaries. Other areas of the United States may have lower incidence rates (5% or less) of canine heartworm disease, while some regions have environmental, mosquito population and dog population factors that allow a higher local incidence of heartworm infection. Regions where heartworm disease is common have diagnosed infections in dogs as young as one year of age, with most areas diagnosing infections primarily between the ages of three and eight years. Although there are differences in frequency of infection for various groups of dogs, all dogs in all regions should be considered at risk, placed on prevention programs and frequently examined by a veterinarian.

Last edited by Mikey T; 01-16-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

My vet puts dogs on the medication from April to December. I wouldn't go without it. Heartworm is very serious and I would rather pay the money for the medications than try and treat heartworm.
Abbie (Abbigail) - Cat 4

Clifford - Cat 7
Sister to:
Norman - Golden Retriever
Niki - Husky
Miracle - Cat

Duke (golden) and Luke (cat) still in my heart.
squirmy_wurmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineM View Post
We don't use either. Our vet said there's never been a case of heart worm here that the dog got here. Some have gotten it elsewhere. No fleas either. Global warming will probably change both eventually.

ahhh rest easy maybe in another 40 years we'll be going into another Ice age that's what they said in the 70's.

I don't give any either we are lucky and don't have it around here, well yet. And I hope never and it's so dry in the summer where I live we don't get many at all.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

I give it primarily because my yard has an infestation of hookworms,we do have a creek at the bottom of the mountain and water can lay stagnant in the woods anywhere so the Heartworm med is a plus for that,I wouldn't give it in the winter if I didn't have to but Esa and Vinny like the poopcicles I've missed. If your yard has parasites like mine get the dogs wormed then start the HTW meds so they do not reinfect themselves.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

We currently use Revolution with ours, and we do it year-round.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement