Help my Basset girl is getting meaner - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help my Basset girl is getting meaner

Hi I'm new here and I am having an issue with my Basset Hound girl. She just turned five. She has always been temperamental but has become downright aggressive. She has always snarled and growled at us but in the past year she has started biting and attacking our other girl and us for no apparent reason. We walk into a room she growls, we walk by her bed she growls, we tell her no she growls and snarls, e tell her time to go outside to potty she growls and snarls and when you reach down to grab her collar to make her go she bites. My main concern is I have a 4 year old granddaughter that lives with us and she growls and snarls at her. My husband used to be the only one she didn't growl at but now bites him as well. I have owned Bassets before and have never had this problem. She has been unpredictable since she was a puppy, growling and hackling up when she was being nice and rolling onto her back and whining when she was getting ready to attack. Mixed signals and just plain weird behavior, I'm at my wits end with her. Nothing we do seems to correct her behavior. And I should add we have had her checked and she is in great health. HELP!!
crickerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

I doubt any of the testing involved a nuerological exam and a full thyroid panel which will be needed to eliminate the most common cause of medical induced behavioral issues, a simple wellness exam simply will not do

The problem with aggressive behaviors is they do tend to get worse as time goes on because the work that need to be done to make it better or at least keep it the same can not be done because of ethical reason, that is puting inocents in harms way of perhaps being bitten.

unless the dog is psychotic there is a rational to the behavior and a predictability, you may not undersand what it is but it exist. If it does not exist quite frankly there is nothing that can be done for the dog.

So at thevery least if you want to try and save the dog you need to consult with a behaviorst that can see the behavior in context for themselves. remote observation is not going to work for you

Find a Board Certified Veterinary Behaviorist

Directory of Certified Applied Animal Behaviorists
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Since there is another thread on this how about vaccinosis. Have you given shots every year?
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rage Syndrom is an unexplainable aggression found usually in Springer Spanials,but is seen occasionally in Bassets. Maybe not the problem,tough situation though
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement