Weird symptoms..Any ideas? - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Hi everyone! So after spending almost all day going to different examinations we came back much happier. First of all the new vet took one look at the x-ray from yesterday and made a completely different diagnosis straight away noticing things the other vet didn't even mention. She sent us to get and ultrasound on his abdomen so off we went and apparently he had some inflammation in his stomach and other intestines (sorry for the vague description but this was all done in french so...). She gave us antibiotics and a couple of other meds to help out calm down the stomach and help with the pain. So we're trying this now and she said to call if he still hasn't eaten anything by tomorrow afternoon.
But there shouldn't be anything requiring surgery so at least this should go away with just medicine and rest! So we're feeling a lot better now and hope when the medication kicks in he'll start getting better!
Thank you all for your concern and advice!! Gave Harvey and me strength to get through today!!
HarveyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Good news!
Old 01-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

GET A SECOND OPINION QUICKLY!!! Having a Basset that has had two surgeries from blockages Harvey's symptoms really scare me.

If he has a blockage from some type of clear plastic object that will not show up on x-rays. Shivering or trembling can be a sign of pain. Check his gums and be sure they aren't pale.

Bogie's blockages were from rocks and the xrays did show the rocks plus gas build up. Bogie did poop even with the blockage and the vet said the poop was on its way before the blockage occured. Bogie would stretch straight out on his tummy and turn in circles, and occasionaly pant and shiver when he was hurting.
I hope Harvey gets better quickly. Keep us posted.

Symptoms of a Blocked Bowel in a Dog (Copied from Ehow on internet)

If your dog eats something it shouldn't, there's a chance that the foreign object could get stuck in its intestines. Other times, there is a structural problem with the intestines themselves that cause a twisting, turning or telescoping action which binds up the normal movements of food and fluids through the gut. A blocked bowel, also called an intestinal obstruction, is a serious medical problem with potentially deadly results. If you suspect your dog suffers from a partial or full blocked bowel, seek emergency veterinary medical care immediately.

Change in Behavior
  • Some of the first symptoms dog owners notice are changes in their dog's behavior. These changes are more pronounced and severe in a complete obstruction of the bowel but are also present in partial bowel obstructions. The first sign of bowel obstruction in dogs is the acute onset of anorexia, or a refusal to eat. This is followed by pain that is typically expressed by vocalization such as whining. Dogs with a blocked bowel usually refuse to eat and typically lay on their side, as opposed to their stomach.

Abnormal Vital Signs
  • Shortly after the onset of behavior changes, dogs with blocked bowels usually go into a state of shock. Again, these symptoms are more obvious in full bowel obstructions but are also present in partial bowel obstructions. Dogs with blocked bowels exhibit pale-colored mucous membranes. This symptom is most visible on the gums but can also be seen in the nostrils and around the eyes. Capillary refill time marks how long it takes for blood to return to an area after pressure is applied. Press your finger to the dog's gum and remove it. In a healthy dog, the capillary refill time is one to two seconds. Dogs with obstructed bowels have a CRT of three to four seconds. Some dogs exhibit a weak, rapid pulse and may be hypothermic.

Appearance
  • The most telling symptom of a blocked bowel in dogs is the appearance of the abdomen. The abdomen takes on a full, distended appearance. The appearance is sometimes described as tympanic, or looking like a stretched out drum head. The stomach is full of fluid and gas. This is the result of the blockage itself. Since the gas and fluids that normally accumulate in the stomach have nowhere to go, they sit in the stomach and intestines. The amount of swelling depends on how blocked the intestines are -- a full blockage leads to a more bloated appearance.

Stomach and Bowel Signs
  • Dogs with an intestinal obstruction projectile vomit. In a partial blockage, the vomit resembles normal vomit. Dogs with a full intestinal blockage projectile vomit a substance that looks and smells like fecal matter. Partial bowel obstructions often lead to diarrhea -- since the fecal matter can't be expelled in its entirety, it squeezes around the obstruction and thins out before exit. Diarrhea is sometimes accompanied by gas. Dogs with a total obstruction exhibit constipation and no gas. Cramping is present in dogs with both partial and total bowel obstructions.

BubbaLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Please keep us posted. Did they do any blood work on Harvey? I am glad you got the second opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
mydawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yeah! Happy Harvey is on the mend! Yes, keep us posted. We love our furbabies
stayc811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #16 (permalink)

That's terrific! How old is Harvey?

mydawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

Hello! So a little update.. Today Harvey seems to be feeling a tiny bit better. He still sleeps a lot but wanted to go out this morning and just seems slightly more alert. Even chewed on one of his sticks for a minute! He still hasn't touched his food but will eat anything else we give him, like sausage or cheese and even try to steal some goodies from us when we're cooking/eating so we're optimistic here but are keeping a close eye on him!
It's still painful to see him so ill and he looks so skinny! but as soon as he is better we'll spoil him back to the robust pup he was getting to be before he got ill!!
Oh and to answer the question Harvey is 11 months old. We'll be celebrating his first birthday next month!
I was wondering though could it be that he won't eat his food cause he thinks that it made him sick? I'm from Finland and they did a study in the north where they put some stuff in the reindeer that made the wolfs a bit sick (yeah this is a very Finnish problem I guess) and the wolfs that got sick stopped eating reindeer at least for a while.. I don't know if this is relevant or not but it's just weird he eats anything else but his own dry food. Or maybe he just figured out he can get better stuff now that he's sick... Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest!
Thank you all for you concern! Harvey sends you all a big wet kiss!!

HarveyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
it be that he won't eat his food cause he thinks that it made him sick?
no however I had dog refuse kibble that I had not notice started to mold. But there is no real incentive to eat his kibble if every time he refuse he gets cheese and sausages now is there. Somethimes looking at things from the dogs perspective brings clarity, not always but sometimes.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

Glad Harvey is doing better.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

So sorry to read about Harvey.

I can't add much to what's going on other than to say, as my previous excellent vet said when I was trying to get to the bottom of what was going on with my second last hound - 'I'd have opened her up by now!!!'

If your vet has seen something he doesn't like the look of on x-ray, what's he waiting for?

Shivering like this is an indication of pain.

Edit - I typed this before I read your update - better news then. But be very careful about what you give him to eat. Rather than sausage/cheese, cook him up some boiled chicken, or other white fish, and rice. He needs to be on a very bland easily digested diet for the next few days, until you see what 'comes through' and how he seems.

Last edited by FranksMum; 01-16-2013 at 12:10 PM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement