Siblings Fighting - Help Requested - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Siblings Fighting - Help Requested

We have two 1 year old basset males from the same litter. Until about a month ago we have had no agression problems. Now it seems to be a daily or every other day issue. The instigator of the fights volleys back and forth. The fights usually result in some bleeding from ears. We separate them when they begin if we are around, have tried using a spray bottle, but the triggers vary. It does seem to occur when one or the other is receiving attention from one of us. They were crate trained since we brought them home and until this began that seemed to be a haven. We have added a block between them when they are crate overnight which gives them some distance.

When they are not fighting they are the best of friends and play and howl together all the time. We have not had either of them neutered as of yet. It seems that is no guarntee either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
lmnorthrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry, I have no advice. I am not brave enough to do two puppies at once! But I wish you and the boys luck. An expert will be along soon, with some good advice.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Noba started having aggression issues with his brother, who my friends had, when they were about six months old. The day it started we were visiting and a fight broke out over a bone. My friend made the dumb decision to reach between them and one of them turned, grabbed her arm and bit... all the way through the first part of her muscle. she ended up with 17 stitches. to this day we have no idea which pup bit her. Even seven years later, the two cant be around each other without fighting. Sibling rivalry at its best. good luck. hope things het better for you.

Loving a basset hound takes great patience, but is the most rewarding experience in the world!!
Noba's_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

These arguments are common even at an earlier age like 6 weeks and older ,they always get wild with each other, for me, as a breeder,I let them work it out ,there usually is no blood drawn ,but at the age yours are, drawing blood is a pretty dangerous thing and never, ever, get between them to break it up ,chances are they don't know who they are bitting but what ever gets in their way will get bit. A friend of mine has two sisters from the same litter .She got them a year apart(one stayed with me till I decided not to show her) they were put back together at a year and a half old,they did this because there needs to be a pecking order and they had to work it out ,most is now worked out but they will still have a squabble and set their mom's hair on end(human mom).Personally I have not experienced that kind of aggression in sibilings I've kept but I'm sure MikeyT or Soundtrack may be able to give you a better idea how to handle it .I'm sure it is very frustrating!
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
We have not had either of them neutered as of yet
with two male approaching sexual maturity it is highly likely a large portion if not all the fighting is sex hormone related and would be cured/eliminates or a least greatly reduced if on or both were nueter.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Would not neuter, could make things worse & which would you choose & no going back.
Have you thought of a suprelorin implant, non surgical method to suppress testosterone.
I'd get some really good behavioural advise from someone who knows what they're doing & comes well recommended before you even think of doing anything.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hum. This 'to neuter or not to neuter' thing always brings a debate. If you do decide to try this however, I'd get the submissive one of the pair done. Sometimes if the dominant one gets no reaction when he kicks off, the confrontation could end right there.

I had a friend with two male litter mates and living with them was a nightmare. When one got up, the other would be on his feet bristling, if not outright fighting. And it wasn't specifically one or the other. The only time they were really okay was when they were out hunting

I had a young lad who we bred and 'run on', who by around 2, started to challenge his uncle was had been used at stud. I tried all I knew, from avoiding those situations to even putting them together in our outside pen and telling them to sort out their issues - at least out there I had a hose to separate them. All that did was to have them lying at the gate, noses together until I let them back out again. And war began again later on. In the end, as real damage was being done, and it was unsettling my whole small pack, I found the younger one a good home with two bitches of his own. He was happy as Larry, and peace returned to our home. Castration for either wasn't an option

It's your decision of course, but if this fighting is leading to injury, then obviously something has to be done about this. Not for nothing is getting litter mate males not a good idea usually much as it is possible for our agreeable breed to live together, regardless of gender
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

This is one of those thing nuetering earlier is proabably better if the fight is hibitualized removing the sex organ will not help
Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Absent that then the can never be together unsuppervise and even that may not be enough the may need to be peremently separated.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Only my personal opinion because each case is absolutely different and I totally cannot speak from experience here, BUT, that being said, If they were mne I would get them neutered in the blink of an eye.I do not see how neutering them could make it any more explosive,if they have not been bred and will not be used for breeding what is the point of keeping them intact. Lowering the hormones will help some ,unless as Mikey pointed out, it has become a habit with them.I would invest in Obedience for them both so you regain some sort of control ,if posible.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement