Mutant Basset Hound!?? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mutant Basset Hound!??

Hello, i havent been here in a very long time and Monty will be 2 in febuary. I wanted to ask peoples opinion because when i take Monty out for walks people stop in their tracks and exclaim that they have never seen a basset as big as him-not in terms of fat but the scale of him. I have stood him next to other bassets and this is true, he is like a mutant, he has all the same features-just bigger (except his ears are not always as long), he stands slightly taller but is built like a rhinosorus. We got him a waterproof reflective coat for xmas as he doesnt like the rain and when we asked the guy in the shop for one that would fit a basset he gave me one that i knew would not fit and argued that the size i asked for could not possibly fit a basset- we had to get a size for a labrador (he is shorter than a lab so it is long for him lol) but it only just fits and i may get the next size up so he is more comfortable-it is too tight around his chest and he has a lot of skin there too-but the next size up is for giant dog breeds!! I remember when i was looking for a pup and i went to meet the breeder, his mother was enormous also but with very long ears. The vet also said when he went to get his jabs that he will be a very big basset-he was like a little bulldozer. I have had him back to the vet as i was concerned his size was not normal and would effect his health but they said he was very healthy, not over weight for his build(although we would not want him any bigger). People also think bassets cant run-but Monty is actually very athletic if given the chance. He is very loving though but not very elegant-he tends to accidentally head butt people a lot when he goes for cuddles.

I have tried to get some of the best photos of him to help people judge his size-it is quite hard because when i point a camera at him he doesnt stay still. I took him eating his dinner from side ways on but he is bending down to the bowl so its not a great example. I dont know if the uploads worked so if not apologies and i will try to get them up asap.

I have wondered if he is pure bred because his ears are not as long as some bassets-but then i have seen other bassets that are pure but do not have as long ears you see at the shows so i dont know? he definatley has the stubborn basset attitude to an unbeleivable degree and refuses to take anything seriously!!

Does anyone else have an enormous basset hound?? Or is it that people dont realise that bassets are not small dogs-theyre big dogs on short legs.

Any thoughts welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Mutant Basset Hound!??-iphone-pictures-videos-359.jpg   Mutant Basset Hound!??-iphone-pictures-videos-362.jpg   Mutant Basset Hound!??-iphone-pictures-videos-283.jpg   Mutant Basset Hound!??-iphone-pictures-videos-286.jpg   Mutant Basset Hound!??-iphone-pictures-videos-312.jpg  

Mutant Basset Hound!??-iphone-pictures-videos-413.jpg   Mutant Basset Hound!??-iphone-pictures-videos-507.jpg   Mutant Basset Hound!??-iphone-pictures-videos-581.jpg   Mutant Basset Hound!??-iphone-pictures-videos-094.jpg  

Last edited by monty2011; 01-12-2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: adding photos
monty2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

When you say "enormous" how big are you talking about? Jake is fairly substantial, he's 65 lbs and very muscular (not fat). Abby's (atb) Dad was HUGE. He was more the size of a Mastiff with basset legs!

I don't think bassets are "small" dogs... they are just short, but are as big as any other medium to large breed. I think if you gave them longer legs, most would be as big as retrievers or labs. (of course, mine are convinced they are "lap dogs!") In part, they are right, I am such a softy.

both Jake and Ellie are pure breeds, however, Ellies ears are much longer compared to Jakes. Ellie is over all more wrinklier and has longer ears (I am told she is a european opposed to jake being american) Either way, both are cute as buttons and loving as can be!

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi thanks for replying. Last time he was at the vet he was around 74lbs-very muscular not fat as your basset is too
Old 01-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

looks to me like you have a fine looking basset hound!!!!

ours is kind of the opposite, very small, but still very basset.

The basset breeders on the forum can tell you the breed standards..... the basset rescue where we got ours has them in ALL sizes!!
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

How tall is he at the front shoulder? He does look big, but also very basset and beautiful!
1 whole love bug
MaggieMaysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

I had a basset whose dad was 80lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

I had an 85 pound basset in back in the 90s, he was a little over weight though.
Fred,Pickle-n-Chunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

He's very handsome x

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Looking at him he is very tall although he's not heavily boned. There can be 'throw-backs' to the time the Basset was bred down however, and he may well be one of these much as the more generations away from the origins we get, the less likely this is to occur.

Where are you? There's no doubt that American Bassets as a whole tend to be smaller than say a Dutch Basset is and as the result of the influence in recent years of a Dutch imported bitch, likewise with British-bred hounds. The dutch hounds are HUGE, but not on the leg as your lad is. When we first arrived out in Canada with our UK-bred hounds years ago now, they were considered to be big (they had no Dutch in them) compared to others in the ring at the time. I well remember with our second male hound, having him at the Canadian Specialty when one American breeder up from the States was heard to say ' My Gawd, it's a horse'. Very rude!! Especially as actually he was competing in the Field Trial class

They do come in all shapes and sizes however, which they really shouldn't do!! The British Breed Standard - Size Height 33 - 38 cm (13 - 15 ins.) at withers. The American Breed Standard also has a height at the withers restriction - Height of more than 15 inches at the highest point of the shoulder blade (is a disqualification). But unless you wanted to show your lad, it DOESN'T MATTER

Last edited by FranksMum; 01-13-2013 at 10:24 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

I live in Ireland -would there be any throwbacks related to ireland? He does stand slightly taller-i will measure him when i get a chance and let you guys no what height he is from foot to the top of the shoulder blade It doesnt matter to me- i love him im just curious

thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement