Cosequin Allergy?!?!?! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cosequin Allergy?!?!?!

Good morning,

Noba has been on glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM since he was a puppy after being diagnosed with hip dysplasia. Anyway, when a puppy he was on Cosequin. But then we switched him to a human variety due to the availability of Cosequin where I lived, which he had been on for 5 years and did great on it. I recently (about 5 weeks ago) switched him back to Cosequin DS. Since then, he has been scratching various areas of his body a lot, licking his front leg and chewing up one of his rear legs. The Cosequin is the only change I've made... no food changes, treat changes, etc. Has anyone ever heard of an allergy to Cosequin? I talked to my vet when Noba went in for his shots last week and she did a thorough once over (found no fleas or anything (hes on Advantix anyway) and said he looked good, but did notice his hind leg was red), so she said an allergy to Cosequin is rare. Thought I'd ask on here to see. Three days ago, I took him off the Cosequin and returned him to the other glucosamine. If the Cosequin was the cause of the allergy, how long should it take to clear up his poor itchiness? Thanks so much.

Loving a basset hound takes great patience, but is the most rewarding experience in the world!!
Noba's_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

"Rare" means it does happen. So entirely possible.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Soundtrack, I realize it could happen. I'm just trying to narrow down to see if anyone else has ever had this issue. Also, with as much experience as you have with Bassets, how long after being taken off Cosequin should the itchiness clear up... if this was the cause? Thanks for your assistance.

Loving a basset hound takes great patience, but is the most rewarding experience in the world!!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm sorry, I can't help you with this product, but I would suggest that for sure take him off this, and see if there's an improvement. Food allergies can take some weeks to clear the system however, so it may be the same with this. Did your vet suggest a shot of antiinflammatory to help settle him down?

ps Thinking about this 'Hip Dysplasia' diagnosis - did you have x-rays done because from experience, all too often vets are too quick to go to HD (and ED) when in fact it's growing pains, much as for any vet, the Basset plate is way off a 'normal' dog. My vet used to laugh at mine, showing me the plates of a Jackal vs a Basset!!! Hum. And again many vets will go to HD and ED when in fact the puppy is experiencing panosteitis which is indeed a growth problem seen in the breed, within some bloodlines. This strikes at around 8 months, typically and causes lots of pain which c an be controlled. The good news is it passes as the hound matures, usually. This is commonly called the creeping disease because it presents from limb to limb. And unless the x-rays were done at over a year, if not older, I'd not say a HD diagnosis would be conclusive? Just a thought.

Last edited by FranksMum; 01-10-2013 at 10:13 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm sorry, I've never used Cosequin so I have no ideal how long it's effects last.

I also agree with FranksMum - lots of young Bassets, especially males, are diagnosed with HD when there is in fact nothing wrong with them. Far too many vets are unfamiliar with this breed and how they grow. One of the pups I sold had such a diagnosis, and without treatment he lived a full and normal life with no hip problems whatsoever.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yup. He had xrays done. His vet that diagnosed him had owned basset hounds so I was very comfortable with his experience and diagnosis. Noba has had repeat xrays every other year to make sure his hips arent getting worse. He's never had much issue with them except occasionally it seems like they pop or move wrong cause he will do a donkey kick thing and then keep moving. I have had to help him readjust his hip once and it was painful. His last xrays were last July. In comparison to his puppy ones, the most recent doesn't show much change so that's a good thing.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

It is far more likely he has a atopic allergy[ contact or inhalent) or flea bite dermatitise than an allergy to cousequin. Some time we over think things
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrack View Post
I'm sorry, I've never used Cosequin so I have no ideal how long it's effects last.

I also agree with FranksMum - lots of young Bassets, especially males, are diagnosed with HD when there is in fact nothing wrong with them. Far too many vets are unfamiliar with this breed and how they grow. One of the pups I sold had such a diagnosis, and without treatment he lived a full and normal life with no hip problems whatsoever.
Too right!! I sold a puppy of around 10 weeks and, as suggested, his owners too him to their vet the following Monday after he went home that weekend. I had a panic phonecall from them that evening saying their vet said he had HD and wanted to do x-rays (full day in there + anaesthetic). I asked them to bring him straight back so we could go together to my vet (who had already given him a Health Certificate). They refused saying they'd get him done by their vet. I had my vet speak to their vet the following day to see what the matter was (he refused to talk to me) but the puppy went in on the Wednesday, had full x-rays done. What was found - NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And that poor puppy, fresh from going from me and his litter-mates, had to go through a day in another strange place, being knocked out etc.etc.

I was sick to my stomach! Not only because of the trauma to my puppy, but this had soured my relationship with these owners although I did hear from them for a while afterwards and up to then, their puppy was fine.

Last edited by FranksMum; 01-11-2013 at 09:11 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement