Question about shots and vets - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Googled Bordetella here and it comes up as whooping cough? Haa, should have looked on it comes up later on as Kennel cough!

Last edited by Vectisvagrant; 01-09-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

some refer to it as kennel cough.

lepto is another recommended but not required. they have seen cases transmitted by, for example, dog drinking water left outside that a raccoon drank from

my understanding is that the choice of location for administering the vaccine is vet's choice...some preferring scruff, others IM in the large muscle of the leg.

Last edited by 3kbasset; 01-09-2013 at 07:11 PM.
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

Out in Canada rabies was given in the rump - hind quarters as far as I can recall. Other shots, always in a scruff of the neck. Loads of skin to play with unlike my poor Whippet who had her boosters last week - NO SKIN to pull up but bless her, she didn't flinch.

Paying for nail trimming - oh yes, for the one who refused to let me do this until he was very senior and gave up. But it was worth every dollar not to have my hand taken off. I can't remember being charged much more than about 5 Can $ however.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectisvagrant View Post
Googled Bordetella here and it comes up as whooping cough? Haa, should have looked on it comes up later on as Kennel cough!
In the UK it's shown, in the routine shots/boosters as Pi (DHPPi and L), which is Parainfluenza - Kennel Cough. This link may help - Kennel Cough in Dogs | What is Kennel Cough? | petMD
Old 01-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #15 (permalink)

Yes rabies is mandatory and here they try a get you to give distemper and parvo every year, I will not and I don't think Turtle and Maddie will ever have another rabies either.

They are getting old and I believe it lasts longer than that in a dog. Some say up to 10 years. In the posting of the rabies fund on all the forums, it says they are conducting a study to prove it last up to 7 years. That was posted just the other day.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #16 (permalink)

Bella just had one injection for her yearly booster, on wednesday she doesn't ever feel it in the back of her neck, though I think she's had 2 jabs previously, I'm off work with a ghastly flu like bug thing so wasn't really thinking straight when I was at the vets. I am up to ringing them up today and querying it though.

She also had her anal glands emptied, for some reason they keep filling up she might not of felt the injection, but she certainly felt her rear end being messed with. That is a job a really don't mind paying somebody to do.
nuttypigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttypigs View Post

She also had her anal glands emptied, for some reason they keep filling up she might not of felt the injection, but she certainly felt her rear end being messed with. That is a job a really don't mind paying somebody to do.
You do realise that the anal glands should never be empty! These are scent glands, and working properly, with a normal stool being passed, just a small amount of the fluid in these glands should empty each time. During periods of looseness, or other problems when an abnormal stool is being produced, they can become clogged (impacted) and infection sets in. I have always found that once you start messing around with these glands, it can lead to an endless need to be doing this. Unless she's smelling back there (fishy smell like none other) or scooting, you'd be far better leaving well alone.

If a vet does this manual expressing, he can check for infection, and treat, if necessary and when necessary.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hi Franks Mum,

yes unfortunately Bella is a scooter, she does a poop outside then proceeds to butt scuttle the full length of the living room, I will only ever let the vet check them, they've suggested we switch to Chappie. I asked for them to check her because she's been preoccupied with her butt for a couple of weeks now, they were blocked the first time she had them done and very full this last time. Here's hoping the Chappie will help before it becomes a problem again.
nuttypigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #19 (permalink)

Hi. What is scooting? A guy that lives on the next street from me takes his female basset to get her glands done every 6 weeks, she's an old girl though. Costs him 20 a shot.
I think I would prefer doing it myself if I ever needed to! X

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa and joey View Post
Hi. What is scooting? A guy that lives on the next street from me takes his female basset to get her glands done every 6 weeks, she's an old girl though. Costs him 20 a shot.
I think I would prefer doing it myself if I ever needed to! X
Scooting is a term used to describe when a dog sits hard on his back-side, and drags himself across the floor. It doesn't need to be doing the latter however - my Basset recently did this wriggling on his bum after sitting hard on it. I have always been able to express these glands, only externally. I've not felt qualified to do it from inside as vets will do, but with Frankie I could get nothing out. My vet did and it wasn't nice!!

As I said before, normally these glands should express just a little fluid with every normal stool passing and I do query this needing to be done every 6 weeks. If there is infection, caused by clogging, this should be treated with antibiotics. My vet here tried oral antibotics with Frankie which I knew wouldn't work from previous experience. Eventually they had to flush and pack as I said should be done all along Our previous vet used to flush, and pack with antibiotics when we had this going on previously. It might have needed doing more than once, and with a switch of antibiotic, but this usually did the trick. I'd certainly not be taking one of mine in for a routine emptying every 6 weeks. Something isn't working with this old girl, I'd suggest, and the cause needs to be sorted out. Most probably her diet is causing her to produce abnormal stools. Maybe the glands should be removed which isn't a nice surgery and if she's elderly, perhaps not felt a good idea to do.

Again, the more you mess around with these glands, the worse it can get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement