bassett barking/bullying - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default bassett barking/bullying

How to train a bassett,that wants to bully, the kids. Zeus is a great dog, perfect in ways,ecept he keeps barking and sometimes nipping their toes. I cage him and make sure he knows his place. I make the kids come passed the gate to me, for a hug, before they look his way. Has anyone come across their dogs, going mad barking. This only happens now and again. But as a mum it makes me feel angry, needs stopping, but the right way. Kids love him to bits.
claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

More than likely he's trying to play. Have you started obedience classses yet? In the meantime, give him a few minutes time out when he gets too wild. No need to be angry with him, he doesn't know any better until you teach him.

http://3lostdogs.com/puppies-behavin...ng-and-biting/
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance

Last edited by Soundtrack; 01-08-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Barney barks at people when he wants to play. I think that because their bark is so deep and loud that people don't realize that he's really just trying to get their attention.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

No expert here, but it sound to me like he just want to play and missed the kids while they were gone. After a day at work, I can here mine barking when I get out of the car. they are excited I am home (even do it when my husband comes home after I have). My solution, I give them pats and rubs so say hello, put them out, then play for a bit before I settle down. Rest a bit, have dinner and play a bit more before calming down for the night. Obedience will help with the nipping, but it may just be puppiness (depending on Zeus' age). Personally, it makes my day after a long day at the office to have them so happy that I am home. I have found bassets love their people and are always happy to see them.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default zeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnfr View Post
No expert here, but it sound to me like he just want to play and missed the kids while they were gone. After a day at work, I can here mine barking when I get out of the car. they are excited I am home (even do it when my husband comes home after I have). My solution, I give them pats and rubs so say hello, put them out, then play for a bit before I settle down. Rest a bit, have dinner and play a bit more before calming down for the night. Obedience will help with the nipping, but it may just be puppiness (depending on Zeus' age). Personally, it makes my day after a long day at the office to have them so happy that I am home. I have found bassets love their people and are always happy to see them.
Thankyou for your time . He is looking at fhem as to say dont walk by me. He very loud . I am willing to try, anything. He is 3, . I am learning more and more, great to get help from, experienced dog owners. THANKS
Old 01-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
He is looking at fhem as to say dont walk by me
only with the kids?

wht do they do when this happens/

Is there a past history in which zeus could feel threathen by the kids. ie tou rough a play etc. but keep something in mind Punishment rarely works in these cases. What you need to do is change Zeus emotional response to the presence of the kid. Food is often a great means of doing this. have the kid toss zues a treat before he bark and while he is eating mover closer given him anothe and leave.. Practice multiple time a day

!. it breaks the habbit of barking
2. it reward a better behavior being quite

2, it changes the dogsw emotional response to the kids approaching.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thankyou for your help, Kids may come through to me quickly, or i may be little cross with them. Sometimes it can feel we all need to calm down. Few times they have gone to get drink, and he start up. This is rare, the kids stroke him, comand him with treats, which he loves. I have just started making them come, and give him a treat, only after they have got what they needed. I need to work on myself, not to shout at kids, from the kitchen, that may not help. When the boys have teased him, with his ball, he has nipped them and always drops, lays flat staring at me. That was a long time ago , they respect his toys now.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Big thankyou for all advice. Zeus starts to bark at the children, they are coping so well. They say no real firm, then he knows its treat time. They both stroke him, spread on his back , loves the fuss.The calming down is so quick.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
Zeus starts to bark at the children,
Just an aside with this approach that is waiting till he barks to give treats and pets the dog learns he can manipulate humans by barking. So he barks everytime he wants a treat. It is why I recommend also giving the treats when he is quite and eventually only when he is quite and the kids approach.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post
Just an aside with this approach that is waiting till he barks to give treats and pets the dog learns he can manipulate humans by barking. So he barks everytime he wants a treat. It is why I recommend also giving the treats when he is quite and eventually only when he is quite and the kids approach.
I Will try keeping the treats on the kids, they have had to walk to get one. Which defeats everything you have told me. The boys always give him treats and belly rubs, he is always wanting to snuggle or play with them. Thankyou for your time. Lets see if i can turn this problem around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement