Showing a basset..? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Wink Showing a basset..?

Hi everyone!
Especially who show their bassets. I would like to ask what's involved in showing your dog. I might be interested to do that with Harvey but I would like to know a bit about what should I look for in him physically and character wise.. I've read the breed descriptions of a basset but I can't really tell if Harvey has what it takes or not.
Also I would like to know what kind of training is required and are there some characteristics that would make it a no go for showing. Harvey is already 11 moths old so am I too late to start this? In general just opinions, stories and advice is what I would want to hear from people who have experience! Also if someone has stories of why they've decided not to show I'm interested to hear those too!
Thank you in advance!
HarveyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It's never to late if you have a show quality dog. I had a male come back to me at age 8, finished his championship at 9 1/2.

The first thing is to determine if your dog is show quality. If you got him from a breeder that shows, they are the best person to tell you that. If you didn't, the odds are he's not (although it's not impossible).

I'm not sure what the system is in France, so if your breeder can't help you I'd suggest you contact your local Basset Hound club and see if someone is available to mentor you through the process and teach you to groom your dog for the ring. You can also check out your local kennel club to see if there are handling classes in the area. It's also a good idea to start attending shows without the dog so you can see what goes on and talk to the people there.

The main thing to remember is to have fun, and make sure the dog has fun too.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

I myself have never had a show quality basset. I always think it sounds like fun but don't know if I would like it or not. I need to go to one and see. I don't really think there are to many shows around here but there are a few.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hi ya. Just noticed your question.

Soundtrack has given you some good pointers, and yes, the person to start with really, provided they are experienced and know what is a good Basset (without having rose-coloured specs. on) and what isn't, is the person who bred your hound. Bearing in mind no hound is perfect (other than mine of course ) you really have to be in with half a chance of doing some winning these days, when showing most anywhere, is costly. The worst faults can, with clever handling, be minimised, so often it pays to use a handler although whether this would be the case in France I don't know. In the UK here, we have very few, if any professional handlers although some in every breed are professional!! There is a difference. I used to handle all my hounds out in Canada, much as under some judges, an owner-handler didn't stand a chance. If you stuck with it, those judges who'd not look at anyone other than a handler would be obvious - little black book.

You'll need, provided you get the okay with your hound, to get him to ringcraft because there's no point taking an unruly animal into the ring - and you'd not be welcomed by other exhibitors. He needs to learn how to stand to be examined, and to move smoothly and to his best advantage (you!). And as for age, much as everybody wants to get a puppy out there asap, sometimes that's not possible if the hound is from a slow-maturing line. Was the case often in Canada where if you didn't finish a hound by 1 year, it was felt there was 'something wrong' with him. Not so - necessarily!

Going to a few shows without your hound - good idea. You can sit quietly ringside watch and learn and see whether the scene is really one you want to get into. It can be pretty cut-throat which is where yes, it has to be fun for both of you. At the end of the day you should never lose sight of the fact YOU bring the best hound home with you at the end of the day
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

We're planning on showing our future hound boy . Like Soundtrack and FM suggested I'd go to some shows and check out what goes on. I've been doing that for about 7 years now - great fun! And all the lovely hounds! Maybe come over here for Crufts - hopefully it won't be as controversial as last year
http://www.crufts.org.uk/ticket-office
Old 01-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you so much for the information! I'm going to look up where I could go to a show to see what the scene is like.

The breeder we got Harvey from does show his dogs and from all I've gathered they do seem very professional. The problem is they live half away across the country (we got Harvey from them when they were up in Paris for an event) so I think I'll need to find someone closer to have a look at him. We did get Harvey as a pet though, so we didn't discuss wether or not he could be shown.
I do think Harvey is a bit on the slow maturing side since he is still very young looking, I mean kind of skinny and I don't think he has reached his full size (he seems to be growing a lot now). Also mentally he is still a bit of puppy. But I will contact my breeder and I'm sure they will be able to give me more information!

Just out of curiosity what could be other fun hobbies I could do with Harvey? Even if it turns out shows aren't for us I'm sure there are a bunch of fun things to do! I would really want to get into doing something together with him so he could be more active and we could have good bonding time!
HarveyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The SCC site has a list of upcoming events and other information.
http://www.scc.asso.fr/

Not sure how much is available where you are, but other fun activities include obedience, rally-o, agility, tracking, and hunting/field. There is also therapy dog work, which is very rewarding and Bassets are naturals at that.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
hopefully it won't be as controversial as last year
Knowing the judge, who has withheld in the past at other Champ shows, I'd not guarantee that, except people are thinking twice about entering at all these days, and certainly not under all judges

I can't speak for what a vet will do however !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksMum View Post
Knowing the judge, who has withheld in the past at other Champ shows, I'd not guarantee that, except people are thinking twice about entering at all these days, and certainly not under all judges

I can't speak for what a vet will do however !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am so glad I am not showing over there!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrack View Post
I am so glad I am not showing over there!
You are not alone in this feeling - entries have dropped off drastically over recent months especially after Crufts last year and the introduction of a vet inspection before BOBs in the perceived 'at risk' breeds are allowed to proceed to Group judging. To say nothing of the fact that new Champs. now have to be seen by a vet before their Champ.status can be ratified.

It's all meant to be for the betterment of purebred dogs, those who are considered to be in trouble which the Basset is, and which, in the case of the Basset means specifically having too much skin, poor eyes (ectropion and entropion - all down to the use of the word lozenge in the UK Breed Standard when it comes to the Basset eye imvho), lameness and having obvious skin infection. At risk - the Basset is being accused to being too long in the back, too low to the ground (true in some cases lately), too much wrinkle (true in some cases lately), having too long ears (they injure themselves all the time - so not!). Strikes many of us that to some people, the Basset just shouldn't be!!

As far as the eyes are concerned, the Basset at Crufts last year was said to have had conjunctivitis (and there was also as I understand it, a query about an ear infection). Personally I can't speak for his conditions (wasn't there) but for me I was more concerned about the rolls of skin round his neck!! The vet said she was looking at the BOB 'as any normal dog' (ie having a Collie-shaped eye!!!). Well we all know how 'normal' the Basset is, right

I have to say there have been no further disqualifications within the breed since, much as people are not showing any hounds with that kind of exaggeration now, even if they may still breed them!! So this has kind of back-fired!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement