Dog food - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dog food

My Basset is about 9weeks and when I got her the breeder starting feeding the puppies Beniful for puppies so I kept her on it, well today I went to the store and the guy recommended nuetro natural choice. Anyone heard of it? They say it a 3 star which Beniful was a 1 star....ekkkkk help

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Kenziethebasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

I would recoomend a dog food specifical for large breed puppies which limit calcium
and calories which are the mator factors in nutrionally bassed growth abnormalities in puppies. aS FOR WICH BRAND ETC IT IS ALL A MATTER OF CHOICE and what works for your dog. The List sites that rate dog food are B/S and full of myth and inuendo masking a science and fact. Personal the one biiggest myth IMHO if feed a single dog food for the life of the dog. Given what little we know about human nutrition it is presribed to go with variety to avoid nutrional exess and shortages is the best practice. When it comes to canine nutrition we know even less, but it is assume best to feed the same thing over and over again. does not make sense to me.

Critique Of Internet 'Rate Your Dog Food' List

Last edited by Mikey T; 01-07-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well can you recommend something?

Kenziethebasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Completely agree More than anything with growing pups it's the right balance of calcium and phosphate. Too many think too much protein but good quality animal protein is not a problem. The big problem is too much useless carbs that make a puppy fat!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

We use royal canin for our hound. He seems to like it and we have never had an issue with it. It's pretty expensive though but when he lets off wind it's stinks to high heavens!!
As I write this thread he has just let one off phhhhuuooorrrr x

Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Our girl has been on Blue Buffalo wilderness grain free chicken blend. She loves the stuff and her coat is super shiney!
Sixguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've never had real fart problems - except when I feed them Brussel Sprouts And Lula as she's older sometimes will and leaves the room If Joey is farting a lot it might not be the right food.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

no! here is why Take a look at the lists, see where wellness rates on them always high.. I have feed a number of dogs a various times and each time it was by far the worse dog food I ever fed to my dogs all the while other rave about what wonderful changes they seen in the dog since switching. M experience does not make Welness a bad food nore does someone else make it a good food. The only waly to find out is to try something and see how the dog responds to it.

Help in making the choice easier

Quote:
personally prefer for my dogs a protein amount of around 22-26% and a fat content of around 13-15% in an adult food.

My dogs tend to do better on what I consider medium grade foods. Not the best/priciest stuff (Innova, California Natural, Canidae) but not the really cheap stuff either (Hi-Pro, Dog Chow). Remember price has nothing to do with what might work for your dog. Just because a food is listed in a magazine as their 10 best, doesn't mean its better than another food that isn't listed. They do no testing of the food, they base their opinions on the ingredients. My dogs have not done well on any of those foods. Think for yourself and don't get brainwashed into thinking you are a horrible pet owner if you don't buy these foods for your dog.
This website has a very down to earth attitude on dog food. PetDiets.com Though the owner offers nutritional consultation, therefore making it a commercial site, they have a lot of good information on the site.
Remember, what works for my dogs or anyone else's dog might not work for yours. Buy the smallest bag you can find of what you want to start trying and if the dog doesn't eat it or you don't like the results, then you aren't out much and you can donate the rest to a shelter. I swear this last year I have to have donated more food that didn't work out with my dogs to shelters than anyone else in my county. (laughs)
I'm also not going to tell you what I feed my dogs. I haven gotten email from people mad at me for not saying what I feed my dogs, though this information is located elsewhere on my site. I don't want people buying a food just because I feed it. What you feed has to be your own choice. I'm just here to help you understand the choices so you can make a relatively informed decision.
Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Lol he doesn't do it alot just maybe once on an evening and it lingers xx

Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post
no! here is why Take a look at the lists, see where wellness rates on them always high.. I have feed a number of dogs a various times and each time it was by far the worse dog food I ever fed to my dogs all the while other rave about what wonderful changes they seen in the dog since switching. M experience does not make Welness a bad food nore does someone else make it a good food. The only waly to find out is to try something and see how the dog responds to it.

Help in making the choice easier

[/SIZE]
Was that at me? I feed the most expensive kibble out there - well half - the other is home cooked. I have tried lots of different ones and found this one suits all my girls - and one has skin problems. I completely agree that every dog is different and different foods suit...

Last edited by shakespeare; 01-07-2013 at 06:28 PM.
shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement