Our Oldies - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Our Oldies

I've noticed with Lula (14 yo) in the last few years her feet - that have always been pretty straight facing - have turned out more. Her left foot especially turns out. Is this normal for older dogs? It doesn't seem to bother her yet but my vet thinks this will be future arthritic problems
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

14 yo future arthric problem LOL just the age of the dog is as much or more potential for Arthritic Problems.

as for why the legs are turning more it might very when be related to muscle mass lost. To support the weight of the chest the dog need to get the legs under the chest more elbow tuck in feet point out, However if this is the case when the dog is moving the feet straighten out.
Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Mikey when she is moving they are more forward, however sometimes she has a bit of a paddle movement n her left leg.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
I've noticed with Lula (14 yo) in the last few years her feet - that have always been pretty straight facing - have turned out more. Her left foot especially turns out. Is this normal for older dogs? It doesn't seem to bother her yet but my vet thinks this will be future arthritic problems
'Future arthritic problems' eh!! She's 14 already, so not intending to be cruel (and she is a lovely old girl) how much longer does this vet think she actually has I wonder I've not had any of mine, who didn't already have this 'fault', get worse as they got older. but I guess, just as with we human oldies stuff happens. So no, I'd not say this is particularly 'normal' in the senior Basset

And actually Mikey is right - Frankie, who looks like a Hush Puppy advert at times when sitting, because of his early growth plate situation, actually moves towards as soundly as almost any hound we've had, or I've seen in the ring.

Last edited by FranksMum; 01-08-2013 at 08:58 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

all I know is 14 yrs is a great run for any hound!
Lucky to have em that long!
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks FM I didn't word that right. She does have a bit of stiffness in her front in the mornings. I do forget how old Lula is - she chases balls and squirrels on her walks - and is her usual busy body self. Our vet has recommended as she is showing signs of arthritis in an examination in her front to put her on Metacam. Lula has been on Metacam once and it gave her terrible sqitts. I had her annual complete blood check done as well and it came back spot on perfect! I would rather not go down a Metacam route - she is not showing signs of pain yet. But at the same time I don't want her to ever be in pain.

Thank you Esther. We all feel very lucky to have our Lady Lu! Tx
Old 01-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Hi Shakespere.
Have a boy 7 going on 8 who is riddled with arthritis & have managed to keep him away from nsaids so far - bless him - as know one day there will probably be no option. Ours don't react well to metacam either!
Do you give her any supplements - I'm sure you probably do - but there is a lot to try?
You are very fortunate, all of you I'd love it if ours got to her age. Best wishes.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks VV She's is on a couple supplements and I've been tweaking her diet with foods that can and hopefully help - I really don't want to go down the Metacam way and it really wouldn't suit Lula . TXX
Old 01-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
She does have a bit of stiffness in her front in the mornings
given the stoic nature of dogs I believe this is a manfestation of pain, there is no way of knowing for sure, however.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Frankie, who looks like a Hush Puppy advert at times when sitting, because of his early growth plate situation, actually moves towards as soundly as almost any hound
then there is MariaH. who well doesn't as evidenced below

while I'M admitly bias , I believe she is a strong candidate for the best agility basset there has ever been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement