HELP! Ive tried everything! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question HELP! Ive tried everything!

I have a year and a half old basset (of course ) Her name is Luna. We got her when she was 10 weeks old and started potty training her immediately. It took her a little while but she is house trained and hasnt had an accident in the house in many many months. BUT! She pees and poops in her crate EVERY night. Ive read endless forums and websites looking for help. She loves her crate. Its like her little bedroom. Its not too big, not too small. She has enough room to stand up and turn around but that about it. she doesnt eat or sleep now for at least 3 hours before bedtime. Shes let out to potty several times in the evening and right before bed. and even though she is 1 1/2 i still get up and let her out twice at night to try to put a stop to this problem. I sanitze the plastic bottom lineing to her crate almost everyday to get the smell out. She get a bath almost everyday because she lays in her pee and poop. Ive checked with the vet. Shes not sick. Weve tried different foods, and its not the food. We even got to where we trusted her enough to let her sleep out of the crate at night. The first night she went and pooped IN the crate and went back to the couch to sleep! then for about a week after that she slept on the couch just fine. No accidents, nothing torn up. I thought it was a miracle! and was so relieved until i woke up a week later and my living room was destroyed and she had eaten some medication that we then had to rush her to the vet for. So needless to say, im not going to trust her out of the crate anymore but shes back to pottying in the crate again.Cant leave potty pads in the crate cuz she chews them up. Cant leave toys in there anymore cuz they get discusting from the pee. She has plenty of chew toys during the day that she loves and gets lots of exercise. We have a boy boxer she goes plays with all day. I love her to death but im getting really tired of having to wake up to a mess EVERYmorning! And now shes eating the poop too.In the crate and yard. I cant leave her unsupervised in the yard becuase she runs and gobbles up poop before i can catch her Please help! Any suggestions?
lilrod21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would try her sleeping in bed, my Basset won't go in bed and is way too scared to jump off! It's worth a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Kenziethebasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

When Gandy has something special to eat, he sometimes will eat his poop to enjoy it twice. We have pills we give him that help with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would purchase a new crate and bedding to start from scratch and also put in a new area of the house. Also does the other pup you have in the picture have access to her crate? If so I would do everything in my power to elimate any access any other animals may have to her crate. If all else fails I would buy a large crate and fingers crossed she would use an area with no blanket. Have you thought it could be a nutrition imbalance as to her eating her poop - I have heard that this is connected to inadequate food. I am no expert but these are what I would consider - good luck!
FrankiePanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
Have you thought it could be a nutrition imbalance as to her eating her poop - I have heard that this is connected to inadequate food
exceedingly rare dog eat poop because they are scavenger and have been doing it from the begining of there evolutionary history.

There is

mystique about the crate that is undeserved. ie a dog won't mess in the crate etc. this is far from the case and once it happen a few times it becaomes a self rewarding behavior and a substrate preference for going in the crate developes.

now depending on when this problem in the crate occurs and where you are at the time it could have another cause. Seperation Anxiety
Quote:

It’s not surprising then that some dogs develop separation anxiety, a disorder which, in its severe form, can consist of panic attacks: urinating, defecating, frantically scratching and chewing at doorframes, barking and crying whenever the dog is left alone.

Last edited by Mikey T; 01-07-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was wondering about SA and maybe a dirty protest? Crates don't suit all dogs and maybe better to try to cordon off a part of a room rather than so much confinement.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

There's also the question of early experience. It can start as early as a breeder who does not keep the puppies clean so they become accustomed to sitting in filth. She seems to be under the impression that the crate is "the" place to go, for whatever reason, so I'd try to look at a solution that does not involve her using the crate, such as perhaps an x-pen or secure gated dog-proof area or even tying her to you and getting up every hour for a while to take her out so she learns a new spot. You can gradually extend the time as a new location preference is established.

Are you going out with her and rewarding her when she messes outside? You can clean up the poop at the same time so you don't have to worry about her eating it.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance

Last edited by Soundtrack; 01-07-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Soundtrack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

]
Quote:
It can start as early as a breeder who does not keep the puppies clean so they become accustomed to sitting in filth
also petstores and the like While crates work well for potty training most dogs it certainly is not all, and once they start soiling the crate consistently you need to look for a diferent methodology.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hi lilrod I am also from Wyoming, I don't very often find people from here on dog forums.

It sounds like you may have the crate in the living room and that maybe you need to put it in the bedroom by your bed. Not sure what my dogs would do if they didn't get to sleep close to me.

We have only had Maddie a year and a half and she has to come right over to the bed and make sure I am there before she goes to bed. So maybe it is separation anxiety.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement