Whining problem. - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 02:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Whining problem.

Since coming to our house my Basset has decided that he loves my mum so much and constantly has to be around her. So much so, that he whines when he cannot be near her. If my mum goes out, then he is fine. But if he knows my mum is somewhere in the home, then he will whine until he sees her.
This creates a big problem during the weekends as I currently work nights and finish at 6:30am. Normally my parents are awake at this point so there is no problem. But at the weekends they tend to sleep in and my Basset will whine louder and louder to the point that he wakes my parents up.
I am concerned as I am worried that he may stress himself out and cause some serious mental damage to himself.
flag_hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Not sure about this one, usually a dog is closest to the person feeding them and doing the most with them. Depending on where you live you could take him out for a walk early in the morning when you get off of work.

I'm thinking that because you are working nights he is spending more time awake with your mom.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Is he getting enough exercise? And maybe it would help if the family took it in turns taking him out.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Tell your mom to quit wearing bacon scented perfume.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

To sort of add to CatherineM's comment my dad has a small dog (a rescue so don't know the breed) and when ever my grandmother is there she follows her around like a shark.. Sits on her lap and also whines if she can't be next to her. If my grandmother isn't in the house she is "fine", mostly follows my dad around and plays with my siblings etc. We know that this is probably due to the fact that where as the rest of the family is kinda strict with treats and stuff my grandmother feeds her the juicy bits of what ever she is cooking and just over all spoils her almost like another grandchild. Not saying that you're parents are over feeding your dog (like my grandma is) or anything but he might be getting more belly rubs from them..?
HarveyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

how old is your dog? Still a puppy??
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ahhhh joey used to whine a lot if he couldn't see me but he's not too bad now as he's getting older. The only time he whines now is if I leave the house, same with my partner too x

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

see Seperation Anxiety practive the exercises present in the article especial your MOM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks everyone.
I know my mum is his favourite as she is there with him almost all the time. Because I work nights, I sleep during the day and my dad works during the day so it is just the two of them. I understand that.
When I finish work I tend to walk him for about 30 minutes so he can do his business and burn any excess energy from the night.
His actual age we are unsure of, as he was a rescue and his previous owner had no vet records. I got him from Basset Hound Welfare and they estimated him to be about 5. We've had him for 2 years and 4 months now.
I will read (and save) the article about seperation anxiety as I do worry about him and I don't want him to stress himself out. It is just that my parents need to get a good nights sleep at the weekend.
Thanks everyone.
flag_hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement