Struggling with training, help! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Struggling with training, help!

My Bassett Oscar is 14 weeks old now, we've had him since he was 7 week old. The first week or two we were really easy going with him as he was getting settled in. Now he doesn't seem to be getting the hang of house training, one day he does really well and we think he's got it, the next he doesn't even attempt to let us know when he needs to pee or poop. If we catch him in the act we lead him straight outside but he's just not getting it. Is he still too young and at an age that he can't hold it or should he have got it by now? Any help or advise would be great. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Oscar 09/12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

First and foremost... Oscar is such a cutie!!!

Second, potty training. I am not an expert (we have lots of them here) but here is my "take" on it...

Don't "wait" for Oscar to tell you it is "time". Take him out very frequently. I take my pup out the moment she wakes from a nap, right after or in the middle of play, right after a meal. I always have treat in my pocket or hand so when she goes outside it is "Mardi Gras!" If the neighbors are watching, I probably look like a lunatic. Lots of praise "Good Girl! Good Girl Ellie!" I clap, I rub and pet and give her a cookie.

I also have an older hound (Jake, 13 yo) who will ask to go out. I know what he wants but I still say "wanna go outside and be a good girl" (he had a big sister, doesn't know the difference!) and Ellie is catching on, she goes out then too whether she needed to or not. If she goes.... it is party time again!

I always reward them for going outside. We have a "cookie jar" and Jake immediately runs to it after going outside.

This method is working well for me.

Since I am gone at work all day during the week, I also piddle pad train Ellie. She mostly just uses it when I am gone or if she signals she needs out and I miss it. She does well with it, however, sometimes misses her mark but her front end it on it so I don't fuss (fortunately, I have tile floors so it is not a big deal).

I hope this helps.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

With Bassets it may take a year. I have also heard it is harder to train a male but not really sure. He needs to be taken out often and rewarded when he goes outside. I would say after he wakes up, after playing, after eating, literally about every 15 minutes to start. Do a search as there have been many good post about this or maybe one of the experts will give more info. Do you have a doggie door or use a crate? Many hang bells at the door and teach the pup to ring them when they need to go out.
Carly Ann - Toy Poodle
Copper -(Speed-bump) Basset
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

When we got Harry as a puppy we kept putting him outside the back door every half hour during the day. Tedious I know and luckily I was at home full time to do this which some people aren't. At night he was crate trained but we had a huge crate that the back half became his bed and the front half was lined with puppy pads. I was told as dogs don't like to mess in their 'den' he wouldn't go on the pads unless he needed to. We were very fortunate as Harry got the toilet training thing very quickly & was soon dry at night and he knocks on the cat flap on the back door to be let out. The only thing we did wrong was to let him go just outside the back door as it was snowy during this time and the poor little fella just disappeared into the snow! It did take a long time to retrain him to make the effort to reach the lawn & given a chance last thing at night the lazy little blighter will still try to get away with going near the back door if we're not looking! We got our other Basset as a rescue and luckily she was toilet trained and follows Harry's lead with using the cat flap as a knocker to be let out.
Basset Mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for you post. I will try this. In the day when were out he doesn't go on the pads at all, but I'm hoping in time he will eventually learn to hold it. We used to have a lab and its so strange going from a fully trained dog back to having to train. I read everything out there about training before I got him but it seems to fly out the window when they're here. Do you tell Ellie off if you catch her doing it in the house?

Old 01-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

My boy is 18 weeks now. At first I thought he was going to be terrible for it but he's getting so much better.
I was taking him outside after sleep. After play. After food, just walking around the garden until he done toilet, but still having little mishaps in the house.
Now he is so much better as he is getting older, as soon as he walks into kitchen I run through and open the door, if I don't see him he will happily do a pee pee rite in front of me on the carpet. It's always just small dribbles though but this maybe a boy thing!!!
He doesn't really give me a sign as yet so I just have to be alert.

With the poo poo. He most defiantly knows if he does his dumps outside he gets a treat. As soon as he's done he gallops to the door and sits beside me waiting for his treat.

I'm sure in time your pup will get hang of it, just takes patience xx

Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

My puppy was doing the same thing she is now 17weeks. Keep your puppy on a scedual like every 30-45 minutes and if it does go in the house bring the puppy to the area and tell them no, I know sometimes you even have to rub there nose in it to get the point across. My female always thought we were playing when we told her no and she would actually think we were playing and try to snap back or take the washcloth and run. They are very stubborn. But just keep a scedual and try putting a bell on your door low enough for the puppy to ring it with it's nose and teach them to ring it. Hope this helps!
Barebieshorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Oscar your so not alone in this, I got Kenzie at 6weeks and she's 10weeks now and at first I too thought she was doin so good and then all of a sudden it's back to square one! Consistency is definitely the key here. It's hard work but soon will be a reward. Good luck!

Kenziethebasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

We have a bell hanging on the door we let Watson out and have trained him to ring it when he needs to go out! Works great! Except when he rings the bell incessantly just to go out. No treat for that!

Watson's Mom
WatsonHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice it's nice to know I'm not alone and there's other stubborn little pups out there. I will try the bell thing never thought of that but sounds good

Sponsored Links
Advertisement