Castration, why? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Exclamation Castration, why?

Encouraged by our bassets breeder & vet to castrate our dog it is something I've bitterly regretted ever since, & would never do again unless for medical reasons.

Curious as to the reasons & research - if any - that have led owners to neuter their male dogs?
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

I had Jake snipped for two reasons. One, I was told it lessens aggression; and two, I didn't want my girls pregnant.

I know my limitations. If I had a litter of pups it would take serious national security clearance to adopt one of them.... I would even put my mother thru it!!! Otherwise, I would just keep adding to the family

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Our male Basset Harry started 'humping' everything when he reached about 9 months. He also 'marked' my doorstop in the living room. This was totally out of character as he toilet trained very quickly and is an amazingly clean dog (he's now 2years). So we decided on neutering him as this was recommended by our vet and other dog owners we know as a cure. It stopped the humping totally & immediately which was great (as we have young kids in the family) and he has never marked in the house since that day. So for us it worked. Saying that I was a little shocked when he came back from the vets as it looked very sore and I felt guilty for a while after! I think some people say it helps with stopping aggression too but seeing as our Basset Harry is about as aggressive as a pair of mittens this wasn't a problem.
Basset Mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

"Aggressive as a pair of mittens".... I love that!!!

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Fred was humping and marking. Neutering cured the marking but he still humps the other dogs. In retrospect I probably shouldn't have had him neutered.
Fred,Pickle-n-Chunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

This is something I was going to post actually. I really don't kno what to do with joey to be honest.
He's not even 5 months yet but he just loves to hump!!! Mostly me though, maybe that's because he is around me all the time!!! It's always my poor legs lol
We bought him a huge teddy bear for Xmas as we thought it would be good for him to rip up... Nope...the poor teddy is getting humped to death. We call the teddy mr hump.

I heard also that neutering stops aggressive behaviour especially towards other male dogs. At the moment he is so friendly towards other dogs and humans. On the other hand he likes to nip and chew on people's hands, shoes, clothes etc. he is teething so hopefully this will stop after he has all his big man teeth!

We don't want to use joey as a stud but I wanted to wait until he has fully matured before we decide weather to get him done or not.
Could anyone tell me when is it they fully mature???? Thank you xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It does not prevent him having an erection, doesn't stop him being interested in a bitch in heat, doesn't stop him tying with a bitch, & many will say it doesn't prevent marking, or humping. One of ours marked around the house twice, once when he first came to us entire, & again when we moved & he was neutered. Our cryptorchid boy humps his cousin when he thinks we're not around, distraction & discouragement are the best alternative, adolescence dogs have many many time more times the hormones than they will have as an adult.
If you are undecided then would really do your research beforehand, wouldn't think of doing it before two years, let your dog mature naturally, get to know his personality, it may not happen to you but it can ruin a dog. Am of the belief that the only person that benefits is the vet & their bank balance.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've been thinking about this a lot too since Harvey is getting older. Somehow I feel I want to avoid it as long as we can and hopefully not do it (and Harvey's daddy agrees - male comradery I guess). Still I don't really know whats the best option.

The humping is now starting to get worse and worse though with him jumping on my legs and our big cushions getting a ride several times a day.. Harvey isn't aggressive and hasn't (knock on wood) started marking yet so that's really the only problem. I guess if we don't have any major problems with him he will stay intact

I'm also wondering on the mature age though..? x
HarveyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I don't neuter my males. They don't hump people - I don't allow it. They don't hump the other dogs as a rule - the other dogs don't allow it. The only problem I have, because I have girls that come into season, is that my two boys don't like each other, although they are generally fine with other males off their "territory". For example, when we are at shows or at the park I don't generally worry about their behavior with other boys (although I always monitor interactions with strange dogs, regardless of gender involved).
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
bug

Send a message via MSN to bug

Hi,

I was unsure about castration too for anything less than a medical problem as it seems as if the world has gone castration bonkers!

I finally had Basil done in July of 2012, around 4 and a half by then. He was done because the prostrate had apparently enlarged, so it was a precautionary measure.

Since then tho, and I don't know if its general ageing, castration related or something else but, he seems to want to walk less. He still loves going out but we rarely complete the same length of walk as previously, barely 20% most days, sleeps more but doesn't hump the few people he tried to do before. Also, some dogs he got on very well with before now seems different as he seems to sometimes get overly aggressive or frustrated, and a bitch that used to play with him now almost ignores him.

So, things do change but not necessarily in the way one may expect!

Nat

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement