Castration, why? - Page 5 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #41 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
We were told the real impact on hormone related behaviour happens if you snip before the pup is 4 months old.
competely and totally untrue. It makes no difference on the age of nuetering on the effect nuetering has on hormonal based behavior.

Scientific research studies that found spaying and
neutering do not reduce aggression in dogs
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully View Post
I totally get what you are all saying. Although, even the most trusted and responsible people can and do have various slip-ups, and say for example have one of your dogs escape. I know stuff happens, so I just prefer to make the choice to eliminate any possibility whatsoever by fixing my dogs, that's really all I'm saying.
and that's VERY responsible of you.
no dog owner can keep a watchful eye on a dog every second.
The shelter here in memphis is FULL of the offspring of dogs whose owners obviously didn't.
Spay/neuter takes that out of the equation.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #43 (permalink)

We dont plan on breeding our little girl even though my mother in law thinks we need to but she is thinking purely the money side of it. As of right now she is our only dog but we have already talked about getting another. Now if it will be another basset or a different breed we are not really sure as of right now. I wouldnt mind just leaving her be unless a medical reason does come up where getting her spayed would help. How is the best way to deal with her seasons? Ive only ever owned males so this will be a first for me.
Sixguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #44 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Does anyone know of a dog that's had a vasectomy, have often wondered why it can't be an option?
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #45 (permalink)

as far as the humping...
I was spayed and I still hump CB's head sometimes
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #46 (permalink)

I have always gotten my animals fixed (well, my parents and I as I was growing up) after they have reached the appropriate ages. The first dog was neutered young, around 6 months but that was maybe 10+ years ago. The next dog was neutered more around 9 months old to give him more time to grow and mature. The first female dog we ever owned was fixed before her first season. The cats were always fixed too.
Now, Monty is neutered. I think he got neutered around 9 months old. Looking back I may have waited a bit longer. He was a bad humper and we assumed that would fix it. Now we have Jenny. She is 7 months old and not yet fixed. She will be, because I don't like having a chance of accidental puppies, whether she escaped or a strange dog got in the fence.
There are too many unwanted dogs out there, so I will always do my part and make sure no animals of mine contribute to that. Breeding should be left to the breeders. I just wish more people thought this way instead of letting their dogs have "just one" litter or not bothering to keep an eye on their wandering intact male dog.
Abbie (Abbigail) - Cat 4

Clifford - Cat 7
Sister to:
Norman - Golden Retriever
Niki - Husky
Miracle - Cat

Duke (golden) and Luke (cat) still in my heart.
squirmy_wurmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #47 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixguns View Post
How is the best way to deal with her seasons? Ive only ever owned males so this will be a first for me.
Vigilance/supervision. She must never be alone outside while in season, even if you have a fenced yard. If you also have a male they need to be kept separate with TWO doors between them (in case one fails). Panties are for keeping her from making a mess only, they are NOT effective birth control. Walked on leash and under control.

You also want to keep an eye out afterwards for signs of either mastitis (especially if she's prone to false pregnancy, as many bassets seem to be)or pyometra. They don't happen often, but they do happen, so know the symptoms so they can be caught early.

Dogs never stop going into heat, which is why I usually spay mine once they're 7 or more years old.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttypigs View Post
The vets over here advised me to let Bella have one season then 3 months later have her spayed, which is what we did, and she had a phantom pregnancy after it, so is a little baggy underneath because she started producing milk.

I don't regret having her done, please be aware that if you're thinking of having her done before she's had a season, it can lead to an incontinent female, if the vets open her up and her body has already started getting ready for a season there's something that can happen that will cause incontinence, hence my vet pushing me to go for 3 months afterwards.

I have an excellent tip for owners of bitches in season walk them when it's raining, less chance of meeting any other dogs and the rain will mask their scent, which should stop stray males from visiting. That is of course if you live in a rainy climate like I do!!
LOL yes our rainy weather helps walking our in season girls! The fair weather walkers are gone - we could go to Hampstead Heath and nobody would be around so we could let them off lead and life as normal! Otherwise it is more lead walking on the road when they are in heat. I hate this idea some peeps have that you have to lock them up for 3 weeks - we'd all go nuts. It's funny - what FM said as I was working not at home and usually I'd take the girls into work with me but when I couldn't (could not have them with the dog walker) my good Basset friend would have them for the day. He had Gomez - a beautiful intact boy that showed absolutely no (sexual) interest in the girls except for the usual play and cuddling. At the same time I think they loved the boy company.
And Nuttypigs it's great that so many vets are finally seeing that spaying is much better after a season or two. With Lula (she's 14 and a rescued puppy) I had to really put up a fight to have her done after a season. I won
Old 01-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #49 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
The shelter here in memphis is FULL of the offspring of dogs whose owners obviously didn't.
shelter statistic to not bear this. Owner ignorance populates shelters with abandoned dogs and catsa
Quote:
The main reasons dogs are surrendered is that owners fail to obedience train or have unrealistic expectations of their pet; the dogs at highest risk of surrender are those acquired at low or no cost, especially those that do not visit a veterinarian regularly.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #50 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post
Very true. You only have to look at shelters, charities, RSPCA & Batersea Dogs Home, the vast majority are full of staffies or some other breed that someone decided could make up for their lack of IQ. Or poor breeding dogs off loaded from some Back yard breeder or worse puppy farm.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement