Castration, why? - Page 4 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #31 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectisvagrant View Post
Being obtuse, but what does 'lifestyle issues' mean, and with boys (I understand the difference with bitches) what makes a castrated dog 'more convenient'?
Perhaps if you have a male, and also have a bitch that you're keeping intact for some reason (ie health issue, showing, breeding), you might find it more convenient to neuter the male to avoid dealing with his frustration while she is in heat. Depends on the male too, Curry is relatively little trouble when I've got girls in heat, Sailor OTOH is very vocal and stops eating. Or if you have a male that is aggressive with other males and that is an issue for you, neutering can help with that (one of the few things that neutering does help).

Of course, there's also not being subject to harassment by people who think you're a terrible person because your dog has testicles. . Yep, it happens.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance

Last edited by Soundtrack; 01-06-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #32 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Of course, there's also not being subject to harassment by people who think you're a terrible person because your dog has testicles. . Yep, it happens.[/QUOTE]

Now that I have come across, know someone who castrated her boy because she didn't like the look of them, poor dog , LOL luckily she's not married.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #33 (permalink)

We were told the real impact on hormone related behaviour happens if you snip before the pup is 4 months old. As Benson was ill when he was that young, we weren't in a position to do that. Plus the vet we were seeing at the time actually recommended we didn't snip him due to other allergies.

In the last few months he was suffering from repetitive bladder infections and the new vet recommended to snip him to rule out things. I'm not sure it helped in anyway but he doesn't seem to be affected negatively by it.

Our day care continually recommended we get it done, but I think it was selfish on their part. Makes their life easier in case there is any behind the bike shed action.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrack View Post
Of course, there's also not being subject to harassment by people who think you're a terrible person because your dog has testicles. . Yep, it happens.
No matter which way you go, there will always be people all too happy to spew out their unwanted judgements. I sometimes have people disappointed that my two are fixed and are not a breeding pair. Even with Scully, random people were always expressing their opinion that we should have let her have puppies. Actually, my father-in-law was incredibly pissed off at us for a long time for having Scully spayed. LOL

(And BTW, just to clarify, when I said before that I agree, I did not mean that I agree with the part that you're an awful animal abuser. Eeek!)
Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #35 (permalink)

If you do choose to have your male neutered, what is a good age to do it? I am planning on getting Hoss fixed, but I don't want to do it as soon as the vet wants to. He isn't even six months old yet and his vet is already saying he can have the surgery. I know with larger breeds, you want to wait until about a year to allow for proper muscle growth, but I'm not sure how that applies to Bassets, being that they aren't very muscular breeds. Hoss is pretty muscular for a basset, but I think that has to do with the fact that he is still very young and he plays with my 75lb Cane Corso mix and gets a ton of exercise and tug o war time.
Hoss' Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #36 (permalink)

I didn't have a choice with either of my two. Elliot, my Basset, came from the shelter so he was neutered before we could bring him home. Jack, my Dachshund, was found on the side of the freeway, and turned out to be cryptorchid so he needed to be fixed. Both were approximately 4 years old when found/adopted. We had Jack for about 3 months before his surgery--I didn't notice any changes in him but he was an only child and didn't get out much except for walks. When Elliot came home he was a humping machine, but about 4 weeks later that just stopped. I have to think his hormones had worked themselves out by then. There is really no other explanation. I know several will say humping isn't hormone driven, but he stopped after that.

If I had a choice, I really don't know what I would do. Before joining this forum there wouldn't have been a question, but now I've read so many reasons not to neuter that my opinion is changing.
2dogs2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #37 (permalink)

Ellie is approaching six months (mid January) and I intend to have her fixed. Even tho she is a gorgeous girl (and would have adorable pups), I do not intend on breeding her and do not want to deal with her going into heat (and all the issues that come with it).

I realize many folks have strong feelings about spaying/neutering, however, I feel if you are NOT in the business of breeding, then it is the way to go.

(Not trying to start any arguments!)

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnfr View Post
Ellie is approaching six months (mid January) and I intend to have her fixed. Even tho she is a gorgeous girl (and would have adorable pups), I do not intend on breeding her and do not want to deal with her going into heat (and all the issues that come with it).

I realize many folks have strong feelings about spaying/neutering, however, I feel if you are NOT in the business of breeding, then it is the way to go.

(Not trying to start any arguments!)

The vets over here advised me to let Bella have one season then 3 months later have her spayed, which is what we did, and she had a phantom pregnancy after it, so is a little baggy underneath because she started producing milk.

I don't regret having her done, please be aware that if you're thinking of having her done before she's had a season, it can lead to an incontinent female, if the vets open her up and her body has already started getting ready for a season there's something that can happen that will cause incontinence, hence my vet pushing me to go for 3 months afterwards.

I have an excellent tip for owners of bitches in season walk them when it's raining, less chance of meeting any other dogs and the rain will mask their scent, which should stop stray males from visiting. That is of course if you live in a rainy climate like I do!!
nuttypigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #39 (permalink)

Interesting reading all these comments. I have just one more to throw into the mix when it comes to oops litters from an entire Basset male - I'd suggest you have a rare bird if you have one who 'helps himself'. Having spent more time crawling, sitting on a cold floor with a bitch across my lap trying to get a male to actually get there, I'd suggest the possibility of a Basset male doing the job without help, is quite unlikely. Yes, the spirit is willing, and he may well take off after a hot female, but do it himself? ..... In fact I have often thought that left to their own devices, the breed could well die out

ps We had one precocious boy who did help himself at barely 8 months It was planned, but not on that season
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #40 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Sailor definitely seems incompetent in that area, although he's never had the opportunity to actually do the job. Kermit the Dog, on the other hand, was quite capable.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement