Castration, why? - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
Agree a bitch in season - especially if she's standing heat - should not be boarded - her owners should not have put her in there. And unfortunately very irresponsible kennel owners as well.
OTOH, I have a friend who runs a boarding kennel. Over Christmas I was looking at the possibility of having to board one of my dogs as I was going away and one had come into season, disrupting my arrangements for houndsitting. Although my friend preferred for me to board a male, as she didn't really want a bitch in season disrupting a kennel that was full for the holidays, I would have had no qualms about leaving the girl with her because I know my friend knows how to manage them and would not allow "accidents".

I ended up leaving the girl with another friend I trusted, who was also babysitting three of my other hounds, and brought both males with me - only to have one of the girls I brought with me go into heat once I got there. But in a small house with Christmas chaos, up to 7 dogs and up to 7 people, we still managed to maintain the necessary separations.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance

Last edited by Soundtrack; 01-06-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Posted this thread as taken aback by the number of dogs who are subjected to castration, many before they are even mature with owners having little thought to the repercussions & just going along with the current trend. Some naively seem to think that within days of surgery their dog is going to have a miraculous character change for the better, to a placid biddable boy who complies & understands everything asked with very little input in the way of training. Vet's too, push & encourage owners, heard of some that as soon as puppy vacs are finished ask 'when are you thinking of neutering' a friend was even asked to book the pup in for surgery!

Our youngest boy was cryptochid so had no choice & as FM mentioned, he has stayed (won't call him silly but know what she means) a puppy even though he's heading for 8, occasionally call him Dorian, joking that somewhere in the house he's hidden his hideous portrait. The elder was the biggest mistake, pushed by breeder & vet we stupidly gave in shortly after he charged the length of our local beach to get to a bitch in heat who was being exercised off lead. Got to him in time but the poor boy would not move & looking back I'm surprised he wasn't injured in my attempts to get him home. He had always been a placid gentle boy, who had friends rather than playing with any one that past, but within months of the op was humped by everyone & often picked on by dogs just charging in. Realise this doesn't happen to all but I do know of others effected & however small the chance would never castrate again & the more I listen to others experience & advice don't believe it has any health or behavioural benefits. I've always pefered dogs, it's their presence & character, yet we seem only to ready to take away some of the major hormones that gives them this.

Keeping a dog entire does not mean that I wish, want or would even think of breeding - that should be done by people who really know what their doing for the health of the breed - yes there are the occasional mistake but my dogs aren't latch Key dogs roaming the streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrack View Post
My question would be, if they are not responsible enough to maintain an intact animal, are they responsible enough that they should have a dog at all? Seriously, what's involved in keeping dogs from breeding is basically good stewardship. It's not that hard. Really.
Soundtrack, well put.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #23 (permalink)

I totally get what you are all saying. Although, even the most trusted and responsible people can and do have various slip-ups, and say for example have one of your dogs escape. I know stuff happens, so I just prefer to make the choice to eliminate any possibility whatsoever by fixing my dogs, that's really all I'm saying.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I have no problem with people fixing their dog if they *choose* to. That is a lifestyle issue and for many it is simply more convenient. I fix my senior girls for just that reason. But they should do it with full knowledge of the known pros and cons, it should not be foisted upon everyone, and those who choose not to should not be treated like horrible, irresponsible dog abusers.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #25 (permalink)

Scully I so now where you are coming from but no my dogs never escape, never have the opportunity or the desire to do it - not without us.
LOL I think they love their meals and us too much... but saying that have not had a boy yet...

Last edited by shakespeare; 01-06-2013 at 01:45 PM.
shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
I have no problem with people fixing their dog if they *choose* to. That is a lifestyle issue and for many it is simply more convenient. I fix my senior girls for just that reason. But they should do it with full knowledge of the known pros and cons, it should not be foisted upon everyone, and those who choose not to should not be treated like horrible, irresponsible dog abusers.
Soundtrack but most of your girls are showing/competing/breeding so it's either mandatory or preferable. Having three girls and going through seasons AND Phantoms I don't feel like a meany spaying when they're between 1.5 -2 yo.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
Soundtrack but most of your girls are showing/competing/breeding so it's either mandatory or preferable. Having three girls and going through seasons AND Phantoms I don't feel like a meany spaying when they're between 1.5 -2 yo.
Again, that's a lifestyle choice. And at least you're waiting until they're more mature and developed. Although with the showing etc it's preferable to keep my girls intact, once they're "retired" I generally have them spayed simply because it's more convenient for me and them not to have to deal with seasons - and I feel more secure that at that age hormones are less likely to be an issue regarding their health. But that's just me.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, I totally agree with that!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #29 (permalink)

Yes it is a lifestyle choice on my part and maybe for them - I think... but next girl I will wait longer - probably around 6 years old - I think that's more of a natural age to relieve them of it....Hormones are very important and I think we misunderstand them with our dogs!!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Being obtuse, but what does 'lifestyle issues' mean, and with boys (I understand the difference with bitches) what makes a castrated dog 'more convenient'?
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement