Walking a Basset - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Walking a Basset

Emma is 13 weeks now and we have been trying to walk her on a leash for several weeks. It can be pretty nightmarish sometimes when she just decided that she has no intention to move and sit there like a statue. Because its pretty cold out there, we needed to keep walking. So we released the leash and she sticked right by us!!! It was awesome!! She didn't wander anywhere or even try to lead the pack!! We loved it. But knowing Basset and how notorious their nose is, I know this is not a permanent solution. Someone asked me to bring a treat bag along while walking her on a leash to egg her forward. What's everyone take on this? Walking a Basset-imageuploadedbypg-free1357312545.573897.jpgWalking a Basset-imageuploadedbypg-free1357312662.795479.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Emma's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
But knowing Basset and how notorious their nose is, I know this is not a permanent solution

IMHO the following the nose is way over blown if you have ever seen a pack hunting the may go off where you cant see them but they are always checking back in unlike beagles. Now I would not trust them next to the road but away from the road I have never owned a basset I did not trust off leash or a beagle that I ever trusted off leash.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Refusing to go any further is called flat basset. Walking a basset hound has always reminded me of trying to avoid submarines. You zig zag and go fast then slow. I would never walk one off leash. That's a good way to find out how fast they can actually run. The answer is like lightening.

CatherineM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm going to agree with Mikey. My bassets are the only ones I trust to be off leash in many instances. Now Maddie is a little different but part of that is she doesn't hear to well but she is getting better all the time.

We have only had her a year and a half so she's just learning the ropes.

I better add that Abigail was bad if she ran into a fox, then she was gone, luckily she could run for miles while I could see her and she would always come back.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

It makes me feel better knowing that there are people who trust their Bassets to go off leash!! Emma did so awesome! I felt like she was happier when she had the freedom to stop when she wanted and joined the pack as soon as we were a few yards away. She could sniff around abit and quickly came back to the pack again. We are fortunate in Idaho where there are tons of walking trails and we probably bump into people or dogs once in a while only. It's just a whole different ball game with our mutt Oscar. He is always on the go!! My husband will take him on a bike run or we go on fast walks. I don't know. Maybe she is still young and we just need to work more with her for sure. Thanks everyone for your responses!

Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineM View Post
Refusing to go any further is called flat basset. Walking a basset hound has always reminded me of trying to avoid submarines. You zig zag and go fast then slow. I would never walk one off leash. That's a good way to find out how fast they can actually run. The answer is like lightening.

This flat basset comment brings up a good question. Noba is 7 years old, walks like most bassets on a leash, side to side, slow then fast, sniffs everything with scientific meaning... seemingly going along and then.... wham... nothing... absolutely puts on the brakes and refuses to move. I've been in standoffs with him for 10-15 minutes at a time sometimes, just standing there with his wrinkles falling over his eyes refusing to move. How in the world do you guys get your hounds to keep going???

Loving a basset hound takes great patience, but is the most rewarding experience in the world!!
Noba's_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Harvey does the flat basset once in a while and I feel that pulling just makes it worse! Funnily enough if first I try to pull him to move a couple of seconds after he starts moving again.. Last summer when it was really hot in Paris he would just lie down on the street and even roll on his back if we walked more than a block! luckily he was still small enough to carry back then.

We also let Harvey off leash when we're on the country side. He loves it and I think it's a nice variation since obviously in Paris a leash is a must. And like other people already said he always comes back or at least checks that were still around if he runs far ahead.
HarveyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

During a wind storm a couple of days ago, a tree fell on the fence, smashing it to the ground.. The dogs hadn't come in for awhile so I went out to investigate....Toby, the beagle, was gone but Barney was sitting right by the downed fence line, inside the fence. Being surrounded by woods on three sides, there are alot of critters to chase and smell. Luckily Toby came running when I called which amazed me. Barney didn't seem to have any interest in going any further than what he was used to...If I had an area where I could see him far off (not the woods), I would probably feel ok with walking him off leash....not the beagle though.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

We live in a rural area and where I walk the dogs there is usually not a person in site. I walk all 5 off leash and have never had a problem except with Maggie not wanting to go for the walk. She loves the ride there and back but the walk not so much.
Carly Ann - Toy Poodle
Copper -(Speed-bump) Basset
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

It is very interesting to see how the owners are comfortable to have the Bassets go off leash but not the Beagles. I wonder why? 🐶

Sponsored Links
Advertisement