Walking a Basset - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
I have to caution you about how far and for how long you are taking your 13 week puppy.
IMHO that is why off leash is better than on, the but any puppy that goes flat on a walk I would be concerned that one is exceeding its capcity and it would behoove you to shorten the walk by at least half.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #22 (permalink)

So the secret to getting a stubborn basset to keep walking is???? I'm dying for an alternative other than standing on the sidewalk in a standoff with my hound when he plants his 70 lbs and refuses to move....

Loving a basset hound takes great patience, but is the most rewarding experience in the world!!

Last edited by Noba's_Mom; 01-05-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Noba's_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #23 (permalink)

Treats or just pick him up. Take one of those folding umbrella handled kid stroller with you and dump him in and roll him home.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #24 (permalink)

We had an indoor outdoor beagle in the 70's in rural va. We would search for him at least twice a month. Searches occured after he had been gone more than a day. He only had three legs. People would call us from all over the county with Lighting the three legged beagle sightings. He usually was 5 to 10 miles from home. His longest trip was 25--30 miles and lasted a month.
newton'sdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post
IMHO that is why off leash is better than on, the but any puppy that goes flat on a walk I would be concerned that one is exceeding its capcity and it would behoove you to shorten the walk by at least half.
Couldn't agree more. I have never had a flat puppy. Lead training is very important from a young age but build it up very very slowly. Won't mention the 5 minute guideline but thats what we have done When mine are young I take them to the park and let them explore and run around a bit and work on getting their attention and recall. Very different from training indoors without the world's distractions! We're off lead a lot as long as we're away from roads and livestock. TBH my Bassets are better than any other breed I've owned as far as recall, other dogs and people. I think they have a wonderful old soul sensibility and they've been trained
Old 01-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #26 (permalink)

The worst flat basset I ever had was in the middle of a tropical storm. You walk them during lulls. We got caught when it started raining like crazy and my basset crawled under a shrub and refused to move. I had to carry him. Even my pockets filled with water.

CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #27 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksMum View Post
I've tried to find some proper French bells for mine in the past, but had to settle for a cat bell which one of my last pair wore - where she was, her brother was, which was something when it came to hearing where they were - very few of mine babbled.
I haven't been able to find proper French bells either but rather than a cat bell, have you thought of falconry bells?
Vectisvagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyB View Post
Harvey does the flat basset once in a while and I feel that pulling just makes it worse! Funnily enough if first I try to pull him to move a couple of seconds after he starts moving again.. Last summer when it was really hot in Paris he would just lie down on the street and even roll on his back if we walked more than a block! luckily he was still small enough to carry back then.

We also let Harvey off leash when we're on the country side. He loves it and I think it's a nice variation since obviously in Paris a leash is a must. And like other people already said he always comes back or at least checks that were still around if he runs far ahead.
Harvey, we're only a few hours away in Germany! I get so excited when I see other Bassets on this forum who are in Europe , especially when they're closer than Scotland and the UK. Makes us feel less isolated

The Slave...err, Mama of
Olive Oyl/Olive Ball/Olive Noodle/Punkin/Diddle/Whinyface

Olive a Martini - Shaken, Not Stirred
OliveOyl1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #29 (permalink)

Hi Olive! Yeah that is really close! I know how you feel though cause sometimes I feel like I'm the only basset owner in Paris...
Most people here have small dogs so you really start to feel like the one and only! I have spotted one old basset lady though so at least I'm really not the one and only

HarveyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #30 (permalink)

How long of a walk is good for a 4 month basset? My mother lives up the street and round trip is about .5 mile. Most days she will run the whole way there, she is excited to play with my moms german shephard, and the way home is a different story. She doesnt want to leave and sometimes Ive had to carry her home because she will just turn around and head back to her house. I just want to make sure she is getting enough exercise at this age as she is growing. We have a dog park that we took her to a few weeks ago and she loved being able to just run around free! But after about 30 minutes she was ready for a nap.
Sixguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement