Walking a Basset - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyB View Post
Harvey does the flat basset once in a while and I feel that pulling just makes it worse! Funnily enough if first I try to pull him to move a couple of seconds after he starts moving again.. Last summer when it was really hot in Paris he would just lie down on the street and even roll on his back if we walked more than a block! luckily he was still small enough to carry back then.

We also let Harvey off leash when we're on the country side. He loves it and I think it's a nice variation since obviously in Paris a leash is a must. And like other people already said he always comes back or at least checks that were still around if he runs far ahead.

I think it's MikeyT that refers to dragging a flatty-basset as, "Trolling for Alligators"
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
I think it's MikeyT that refers to dragging a flatty-basset as, "Trolling for Alligators"

never had a basset go flat when walking but did have a beagle that actually liked to be dragged when on grass. And since it was in florida at the time yes. Cuz you get a lot of funny looks from people when dragging you dog around by the collar. Tell them your trolling for gator and they become flabergasted but at least they shut-up.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
It is very interesting to see how the owners are comfortable to have the Bassets go off leash but not the Beagles. I wonder why?
It all comes down to hunting style Basset actual stick around and follow you if you move the basset will move with you. But a beagle, foxhound or harrier in the same situation it is get out of the way and keep up if you can .

bassets hunting
Old 01-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

I love that phrase! I kept telling husband I feel like the husky pulling the sled! Role reversal!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Emma's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

i'm kind of whimpy....have never trusted any of my dogs off lead. agree with the beagle posts....used to have 4 beagles.

have had good success with lead training with our sophie. she stays right beside me on lead on walks.
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's mum View Post
It is very interesting to see how the owners are comfortable to have the Bassets go off leash but not the Beagles. I wonder why? 🐶

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
The beagle's prey drive is extremely high...when I went out and saw that the fence was down, I was amazed that she actually came back within 5 minutes of calling....now Barney, the basset, he shows no interest in hunting....if he sniffs at all it's for dropped food, not animals....as long as I had a pocket full of treats I think he'd stay close by.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Personally, I don't trust mine off leash. Jake has gotten loose by accident and goes stone deaf if there is something interesting to smell. Thank goodness he has always returned OK, but I go into a blind panic. We have dense woods in the back, a busy road in the front and unfriendly neighbors to the side (never met them in 13 years).

I think they scariest phone call my husband ever made to me was "Jake is missing" (on his watch) I flew home from the office to find him. Even had construction workers on the lookout for him. Stupid dog wandered up from the woods like "What's your problem". Part of me wanted to beat the SOB... but I was so happy to see him and he was OK, I just hugged him and took him inside.

Haven't had any "incident's" with Ellie... fingers crossed!

As for walking... I never know what I am going to get... Pulling... Flat Basset... Good Behavior... However, it seems the Nose determines the style!

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #18 (permalink)

Don't know about Beagles but don't have a problem with the Puggle, which is 1/2 Pug and 1/2 Beagle.
Carly Ann - Toy Poodle
Copper -(Speed-bump) Basset
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #19 (permalink)

First of all, as a retired breeder, I have to caution you about how far and for how long you are taking your 13 week puppy. You do know that this is a breed you have to take very carefully for the first 6 months.

Having said that, the sooner you can let her off her lead, in a safe place well away from any roads, the better. But never get lulled into a sense of false security with the basset. A good scent, and she'll be off. When I think of what my 2 boys got up to (first Bassets) out in Canada, it makes my blood run cold Last heard baying their heads off (well one who was a babbler - it's worse if they run silent) headed to the North Pole ..... but the good news is most Bassets (and hounds in general) will back track so even if they take off, they will normally reappear once they've had their fun. And we had one who at 9 months was with my 'pack' when they flushed a herd of deer which I'd not spotted. I managed to stop all but the puppy who wasn't stopping and headed off across two fields. I brought the others home, alerting the passing Gamekeeper to the fact we had one running (he said it was fine 'because he had no traps out in that direction' - yoiks, I'd worried about his gun but not traps!) My husband set out in the direction she'd gone and by the time I'd gone back out to help find her, he was headed home with her, tongue lolling and looking well pleased with herself. Thank God they were hinds and hadn't turned on her!! I was more concerned about her soundness given she was going into the ring.

When she digs her heels in, don't drag her. She's telling you her limitations. She's only very young and again with the limit how much at under 6 months!! She needs to be able to amble around at her own pace, so her muscles start to develop to protect her bone, but within reason only.

As for Bassets sticking around - we had one hound who we did F.trial out in Canada and he was continually marked down because being a good boy, he kept coming back to check with Master that he was doing okay. Yes you are - get back in there and on with the job!!! Much as it wasn't wanted, it was hard to scold him!

As for the treat bag idea - it doesn't hurt to carry some treats in your pocket, but once older, and if she does become a keen hunter, it won't really help.

Add Not trying to hi-jack this thread but I've just run that Video and driven my Frankie NUTS. Love the bells btw - I've tried to find some proper French bells for mine in the past, but had to settle for a cat bell which one of my last pair wore - where she was, her brother was, which was something when it came to hearing where they were - very few of mine babbled.

Last edited by FranksMum; 01-05-2013 at 09:41 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #20 (permalink)

I believe the bell are actual small cow bell . Garmen and a few other make GPS tracking collars so you can follow. FWIW AHBA har judged based on basset hunting still so no point of or deductions for checking in. vIA the rules it is one of the few time you can touch the dog ie when they check in.

The dange off lead is chasing trash, that is animal the dog is not supose to deer, fox etc In the use it is illeagle for dog to be used on many types of game. All these run in a straight line so if thedog chase it can take them miles away from home. Rabbit and Hares circle so the end up wher they started some circles are bigger than others. bird fly off. So in off led you must be dilligent about off/junk/trash game
Sponsored Links
Advertisement