6 month old Toe-B's nipping/biting my kids - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 6 month old Toe-B's nipping/biting my kids

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum & also a newbie basset hound owner. I adopted ToeB at 3 months old. A friend of mine had got him as a gift for his son but then learned that he was allergic. We love him dearly but lately he has been pretty bad with nipping at my 6 & 8yr olds legs & feet. At first it was mostly playful and harmless but he has now began to growl some and bite a little harder. My concern is that if this habit is not corrected then it would become dangerous for my kids & they will start to fear him. So my question is has anyone else experienced this with their bassets & and how do I stop it? Thanks in advance for all your help!!
Toe-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

no different than with any other dog but keep in mind that the reaction of children this age general is encourage the behavior and not discouraging it so you need to train them

Biting Pant Legs & Ankles
Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Everyone who has owned a puppy has dealt with this. First ask the children not to to run around,the more excited they are the more the puppy will be excited and be after them.Be sure they are wearing shoes and that an adult is with them.They should never be left alone with a puppy of any age for any length of time.If your puppy is now 6 months old he is going into adolesence ,just as kids in adolesence will try you so will dogs.The children need to stay calm around this pup ,not touching then pulling hands away,no squealing and high pitched screams. If they go after the feet growl a "NO" make your voice as low as possible if he doesn't look at you ,clap your hands to get his attention ,then"NO". Your children need to know how to respond with a NO also.Use one word consistantly if you all use different words the pup becomes confused and won't listen to anything. You need to teach the puppy bite inhabition of which MikeyT on this forum has a lot of good information.There may be some teething involved yet,he should have his adult teeth but still may want to chew,be sure he has toys ,you can use them to distract him from the kids,other things to chew on,pig ears,etc. Go to Petsmart to get some things for him that he cannot chew up easily.Teaching him to be a good puppy is not that hard you just have to be persistant.May I suggest obedience school so you can get a kind of control over him.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
You need to teach the puppy bite inhabition of which MikeyT on this forum has a lot of good information
unfortunately six month of age is outside the range such training is effective.
Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks!!!
Toe-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would say that is true at the time I forgot the age.Just work with him and the kids take him for obedience it doesn't solve all problems but it may put you in a place of being able to better correct him
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement