Destructive & Agressive - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Destructive & Agressive

We adopted a 4 year old Basset in June. He's a very sweet and loving dog. However, some destruction and aggression issues have popped up. In terms of destruction, Arthur is beginning in recent weeks to eat toys and other objects. He likes crayons, anything wood, and wrestler toys. Arthur has also started marking in the house, including peeing on a bag of potatoes and next to my husband and I's bed.

Aggression, though, is the bigger issue. Whenever we want him to move off of somewhere (i.e. a bed or the couch), he shows his teeth and growls. He also does this if we try to get him back inside before we have to leave to go to work or wherever. It has come down to him ttrying to bite us. When it's real bad, he barks real loudly and has occasionally lunged at us as well. He does not, thank goodness, try to bite our son. Th most he doespecially at hmm is growls.

So any suggestions on what to do? We love this dog and will do whatever it takes to make it work. I try to take a few times each day to throw his toys and chase him around the house. And when it's not the middle of our cold Kansas winter, my husband will take him for at least one walk. A part of me wonders if things have gotten worse because he misses his walks that help spell the high amount of energy he has. I look forward to all suggestions!
ArthurMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Experts will be along soon. Good luck.

Had to read your post twice.... couldn't figure out why you had potatoes next to your bed

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ha! Yeah...potatoes were in the kitchen and it was late Christmas Eve.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnfr View Post
Experts will be along soon. Good luck.

Had to read your post twice.... couldn't figure out why you had potatoes next to your bed
That is exactly what I was thinking!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think eating/chewing items such as crayons, wooden objects, and toys is just normal. The best way to deal with it is to just keep those items out of his reach and make sure he has access to things that you want him to chew, like his own toys.
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here is another thread about a basset that doesn't like to be moved:

11 week old male gets ANGRY when moved.
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

We have given him a rawhide which he loved for a while. Not sure what else he would like, but I''ll run to Petco this week to see what is available.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
It has come down to him ttrying to bite us. When it's real bad, he barks real loudly and has occasionally lunged at us as well.
the dog is quicker than you are if the intent was to bite he would have done so. iN most of cases like this it comes doun to the dog not liking to be physically manipulated. You neet to train the dog to be able to move him when need be with out getting in to a physiical confrontation see How Much Does Your Dog's Cooperation Weigh?

on easy way to be able to move a dog is by training the dog to touch your hand with its nose.

You need to build a lot of rep but the dog will move to touch your hand in anticipation of a treat you can use this to move the dog great distances. or with precision.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

So a treat could equal cheese? We've discovered he doesn't care for treats.

I I'll check this video out after work today.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

If I might just make one suggestion - AVOID!! Anywhere you don't want him to resource guard, which is what he's doing, keep him away from. Hounds are pack animals, and as such, built into his psyche is the need to defend anything and anywhere he sees as 'his' from all incomers. This needs to be curbed obviously because what has happened with him is he's never been taught this isn't acceptable behaviour. To know his place. And this is probably part of, if not all, why he was out of a home - it's all too easy to spoil a Basset puppy, and what's left is a hooligan, who is now out of control. He's starting to do all this because he now feels he's settled with you - feet under the table so to speak, and it's time to move the goalposts with you. Wrong buddie.

But whatever you do, don't push this - if he manages to get where you don't want him (which is a situation that has to be worked at), then rather than physically try to pull him off, which usually only escalates the situation, bribe him. Whatever he does like - most Bassets will go for food, of some kind!! And yes, cheese, or cooked liver, whatever.

And yes, being off his normal exercise level will leave him with excess energy with no outlet - get your husband to wrap up and get out there for a good walk. Out in Canada, only the worst blizzard would keep us in.

ps Yes, those potatoes beside the bed LOL!
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement