Potty training - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Potty training

We have a 10 week old basset hound. Trying to work on potty training. I am being very consistent. I have caught her several times right in the middle and have said potty outside. It just doesnt seem to be working. Help!!
MrsMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Then you are going to have to confine her. Use a crate when you can't watch her closely and you will probably have to get some fencing so she is not out of your sight. Every time she gets up from a nap take her out.

I'm no trainer and some one better will come along but that is what I would do. You can maybe out her on a leash if you are sitting down. You are just going to have to watch her like a hawk.

Also some people put a bell on the door, I have never done this but I (knock on wood) have never had much of a problem.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

how often are you going outside with her?

When ours was 12 weeks we were outside every 10 to 15 minutes then right back in, even if nothing produced.

seems like initially all we were doing was scooping up puppy and going outside but it does work. before you know it they have it.

and agree, crate when sleeping/leave the house. keep in mind at that age they don't have a great bladder capacity yet

good luck
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Besides frequent trips out doors, have a "treat" in your pocket so the minute she is a "good girl" outside give her a treat and make a big deal out of it... a regular party!

When I have caught mine in the middle of going where she shouldn't, I usually make a big startling sound that usually stops her mid-stream and rush her outside, then we have a Good Girl Party when she finishes up outside. Then I come in an clean up what little was done inside. I don't "punish" but usually she is right there watching me clean up and I tell her "No Ellie, No!" Not yelling, just a disapproving voice.

Happy to report that she is "getting it". She will ask to go out, however, her time span is short and if I don't react fast enough, then.... well, too bad mom, I asked, your too slow! Needless to say, I keep a close eye on her. She is out immediately after play, a nap, and eating.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement