Sick Puppy - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sick Puppy

Before I explain, I just want to say that I am absolutely going to call the vet, but they're not open until 7, so I figured I might as well ask about this problem on here while I wait.

Luna (1 yr old) has always been a vomiting dog. The first day we had her, she scarfed up her food and then threw it all up again. That's just how she is. Usually she throws up if she has swallowed something that she shouldn't have. On Friday night we were at my in-laws and she ingested some black plastic thing that eventually came up early the next morning. After she threw up she seemed fine.

Well, this morning she threw up 3 times. The first 2 were the normal clear foamy puddles that always come up, but the third was tinted red (but still watery and clear). I got all panicky and worked up about it, but my husband thinks that maybe the black plastic thing she had swallowed on Friday had scratched her esophagus and that throwing up today just irritated the wound and caused her to bleed a little.

She isn't acting any differently. After it was all over with she played with our other dog for a bit and now she's sleeping (her usual early morning routine.)

What are your thoughts?
castofamilycreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My thoughts are, that if you have any concerns then you should take Luna to the vet.
Dogs can regurgitate food if they eat too quickly but there are also many other reasons. Too much/little bacteria in the stomach/intestines, foreign object, liver & kidney problems are some & for a dog that often regurgitates would be asking the vet to be checking for a cause. I hope all goes well.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hope she is ok! As for the feeding you might want to try a slow feeder bowl. Hubert once ate part of a shoe and then threw it up. Afterwards he was very lethargic and continued to vomit and have diarrhea. After a meds for vomiting and diarrhea he still wouldn't eat or keep water down. We went back to the vet and after x-rays, a barium series, and IV fluids he continued to go downhill. Finally the vet opted for exploratory surgery to see if maybe some of the shoe was in there and not showing up on the scans. After surgery (in which they never found anything) he woke up good as new. I know how scary these things can be.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

You do not want to deal with a blockage have her x-rayed even if the vet does not suggest, it to be sure,several more days to find out there is a blockage could make her go down hill fast.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement