Looking for advice on funny basset legs - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for advice on funny basset legs

Hi everyone!
I had an account on here a few years ago, but have since forgotten the u/n pw and email i used, so i started over. I'm looking for a little advice on my basset mix. Im sure you guys get this all the time.

Toby has the quintessential basset front legs. However, lately I've been noticing that there are times where he seems to "shake" as if he has too much weight on his front legs? You can only feel it if you are touching his legs while he is standing. So its ever so slight. The only thing i can liken it to is when you are straining your legs or arms with weight and you begin to quiver. It worries me.

This is the only sign of any trouble at all with his legs. He runs around fine etc etc. There are times when he stands the foot almost faces completely backwards!

The vet had not recommended doing anything about his legs because of his age (now 3) and he seemed to function fine, just prepare for early arthritis. I've attached some pictures of the little guy and his legs. Any advice is welcome. Are there leg wraps or support that i can get him?

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for advice on funny basset legs-toby1.jpg   Looking for advice on funny basset legs-toby2.jpg   Looking for advice on funny basset legs-toby3.jpg  
Toblerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hello. Im brand new to the site too. My little girl Reese has exactly the same problem. Its her right front. Actually a little more severe. She too runs and jumps fine..she just turned 1. Did Toby just develop it? Reese's seemed to show around 7 months and gotten more noticeable. Well hope Toby is doing well, and maybe we will get some good advice here.
stayc811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

in the last photo I thought he might be knuckled over a bit and as carpal support might help but looking at the other IMHO it is just the way he is holpding it and is not actual knuckles the east/west feet ie fiddlefronted geenral for most basset cause little problem and most do not have early onset arthritis or any other issue from it.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

My foster Maezie has something similar to the last picture. She has her front left paw that turns almost 90 degrees outward. When I got her, I took her in for a heartworm test and had the vet look at the leg. Mine gave me 2 options: 1) surgically fix it (requires breaking and resetting the bone - likely more than 1 surgery) 2)Let it be and not deal with it until it's an issue. She runs and plays with no issue. The vet also mentioned the possibility of arthritis and suggested a supplement (fish oil) to stave it of as best we could. I, of course, chose the 2nd option, as I do not believe in putting a dog through unnecessary procedures.

Molly McFreckles' World:
The adventures of a Basset Hound living with Addison's Disease and a baby brother named Winston
MollyMcFrecklesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks MikeyT,
I took a picture of him standing. His left leg is always at this angle, and his right, also attached, is much straighter. I appreciate your insight. And any advice on anything i can for Toby.

Stacy,
I adopted Toby when he was 1, and his legs were this way when i rescued him. He was also 20 pounds lighter, so when i noticed he seemed to be straining almost, i started to worry.

I'll definitely look into giving him fish oil, do you have mg you give Maezie?
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for advice on funny basset legs-tobyleg.jpg   Looking for advice on funny basset legs-frontlegs.jpg   Looking for advice on funny basset legs-tobyrightleg.jpg  
Toblerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Short course on the difference between fiddlefront and knuckling over though in basset when knuckling over occur it does so on fiddlefronted dogs they are seperate conditions
see photo below

]

MARIAH is fiddlefronted eith east west feet but not knukle over

below dogs that are knuckled over with realitively straight feet

knuckling over IMHO is more problematic than being fiddlefronted. Ie more likely to have difficulty walking ie stubbling, leg givving out or arthritis later in life. The eact cause or reason for the condition is not clearly understood. Many believe it is a laxticity of the ligment of the wrist joint (carpsus) that is the cause and usiang a support or wrap can help or if applied at a young age cure the problem. There are a few manufactures that make wrist/carpsus supports for dogs however some/most basset require custom made ones for a proper fit.

Last edited by Mikey T; 01-01-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement