11 week old male gets ANGRY when moved. - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #21 (permalink)

These are things that should not be ignored different temperaments,yes, but good breeding of temperamentally sound parents makes a big difference,this is why pedigrees are important,or should be to the breeders at least. In my home Esa is the bossy one ,and dominate,but she knows her place with me,Vinny is so laid back and just a great dog. But Growling is only allowed in play with other dogs and not with any human.I am not a believer of "Thats just the way he is" it is too dangerous.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #22 (permalink)

I was going to leave this one alone but I guess I'll put my .02 in. It's been way to long with my first basset but both Abigail and Sidney, whom were full sisters a year apart. Tried to do it at a young age, I just responded with a stern HAY, and gave them a good talking to. I like to give them a lecture, I know, I know there dogs, none the less I never remember them ever trying it again with me.

Now there dad was another story, Sidney, she was my more grouchy one would growl at him when he would come up to her when she was sleeping and ruff her up. It was his own fault so we let her get away with it. I know this is stupid but I think he liked it. He knew better.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #23 (permalink)

My 4 year old Basset, Arthur, is aggressive as well. It's generally when we want his to do something he doesn't want to do, such as coming inside or moving off my bed. It gets so bad sometimes that he actually lunges at me. I am at my wit's end to a degree. The rest of the time, though, he is a big lover who wants an hour long petting or will sit on your lap. Just try to maintain authority when you can. I always make Arthur sit at the door before he goes outside and will make him sit again if he gets up before I get the door open. I really wish I could transfer that philosophy to his issues. Any suggestions?
ArthurMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

[quote]I always make Arthur sit at the door before he goes outside and will make him sit again if he gets up before I get the door open. I really wish I could transfer that philosophy to his issues. Any suggestions? [quote]

why? because it does not work. So called dominance reduction exercise like these and includign eating before the dog. Dog not allowed on furniture have proven to be ineffective at reducing or controling agression. Debunking Dominance Myth
Quote:
So-called dominance exercises were — and in some circles still are — widely recommended to prevent the dog from taking over the entire household. These exercises include not feeding him until after you’ve eaten, letting him through doorways only after you, forbidding access to furniture, and not playing tug-of-war.

In reality, there is no evidence that these procedures prevent dominance aggression or any other behavioral problem. One study found no correlation between playing tug-of-war or allowing a dog on the bed and the development of aggressive behavior.

Growling is a form of communication akin to a person yelling, it can be appropriate or inappropriate but that can ony be based on the context it is used. For me if I had a boss that thought it was appropriate to drag me by the collar when ever he/she wanted me to do something it would not take long before I did something more than yell my disapproval.

Those that say it is alway inappropriate for a dog to grow at humans, never owned a dog in which growling was surpressed by punishment. It can be done wuite effectively problem is you only change the behavior of growling not the underlying emotional state . What this mean is you create a truely dangerious dog that bites first and asks questions later. I spent nearly two year to retrain such a dog to growl on a consistent basis because it is an important warning.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #25 (permalink)

Hi Mikey T, thanks for your previous post! I do understand and appreciate the importance of a dogs growl. I am at a loss how it can come so easily in our pup Frankie and also worried it is can escalate as he gets bigger and older. I am highly uncomfortable accepting him growling at us when he is not ready to be moved.
Earlier I instantly assumed this was a dominace issue and attempted to show him I was boss...FAILED as I said earlier my aggression fueled his. I am now wondering if it is a socialization issue from his first home....the breeder had her hands full with 14 pups and one can only assume the pups did not get alot of human contact as others in a smaller litter would. Now while we wait for obedience class to start I am picking him up ALOT - in many different situations. My hope is, while he is small enough, he gets used to being handled. Once again to the others who have posted their experiences - A BIG THANKS - really puts me at ease knowing this has happened in other bassets.
FrankiePanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #26 (permalink)

If anyone even made an attempt to get close to Benson when he was in his little aggressive mode, they would have been bit. He was not simply misbehaving, he was frightening. I think for those of us who have experienced this random aggression will agree when I say it is a scary situation. It's like they flip a switch and become a different dog for a few minutes. Benson had a deep growl and he could literally stare at me and the hair on my arms would stand up. Each of my bassets have had different dispositions and I raised them all the same. All from different breeders though. The parents and breeding have to be the missing link.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
mydawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #27 (permalink)

One thing I do with my puppies is I always make eye contact with them in adult dogs this can be seen as a threat ,in puppies, I believe they never learn to think of it as a threat since I usually have a treat of some sort for them,celery,apple,small milk bones. When I walk into their room they are always looking me straight in the eye,when we play we make eye contact,etc.Since he is still young he may accept this if you start with a treat and make him look at you first. Say something like" Here" and point to your face ,look him in the eyes and let him have the treat as long as he looks at you.He will start to respond to the word" Here" everytime you say it.He may even come to you from another room when you say the word because he knows he gets a treat.You can then train him with that word to come to you and just give pets and love about everyother time at first and so on.I'm glad you are not willing to let it go.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #28 (permalink)

Thanks Bubbad - great, great advice! I will be sure to start that today.
Frankie and I are starting puppy kindergarten tomorrow with a trainer who will be coming to our home for a one on one next week. I was a bit apprehensive starting a class like this prior to all of his shots being kicked in but I think in our case we need to get some guidance ASAP. I am holding onto that this just can't be a genetic thing as he comes from European champion bloodlines (Moravia Bray/Branscombe). Also gives me hope that I can correct it.

On another note - when I was discussing my issue with Frankie I did go into the long version with her. Frankie starting this behaviour the day after his first shots - the trainer, who also has a PHD in immunology was a bit concerned as she suggested there could be a connection between his aggression and his immunizations. ??? Anyone heard of this?
FrankiePanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #29 (permalink)

Arthur makes eye contact...if he wants to. And being 4 already, I don't know how effective this training would be but I might try it. He does allow me to put my face against his and pet his feet even, so I think it would maybe work!
ArthurMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #30 (permalink)

Frankie's mom, I have no wonderful words of advice to contribute to the topic, but if you ever feel like bringing Frankie out to socialize with other bassets, there is a basset meetup group in the area: The Vancouver Basset Hound Meetup Group (Vancouver, BC) - Meetup

Just thought I'd let you know, although maybe you had already found it. We don't manage to get out to them very often, but it's always fun when we do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement