11 week old male gets ANGRY when moved. - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Feedback appreciated!!

Thanks for your responses everyone! Especially FranksMum...really made sense. Frankie is not asleep when it happens. I feel so relieved knowing that some of you have experienced this. I am going to switch gears and use more patience and affection rather than showing him who is boss when he exhibits this "grumpy" side. I will keep everyone posted on how Frankie responds.
FrankiePanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

As you said, Franksmum's advice is great. I'm very lucky that both boys 9 & 8 will allow me to gently stroke them awake- my Aunt who is visiting is amazed at this & even when she goes up to bed at night can approach them on the sofa call their name & stroke them - BUT over the years one thing I can't do is lift them off the sofa if they don't want to move. Yes have been grumbled at in the past, couldn't believe my soft easy going boys would do that, so have never forced the issue, when I want them to move call them to me & if like last thing at night they have no wish to move then yes I too cheat go into the kitchen & open their biscuit jar & if they won't move for that, move on to the fridge & think of cheese. Bassets are far from stupid, they just take along time thinking about whether they are going to do something or not, just work with them gently, don't get cross or raise your voice being sensitive it will only make things worse. Just remember that we are probably the only species who hands out punishment for an unwanted act, dogs have no conception of this it only frightens/ scares them. As to the breeder who said grab the snout, well I'd like to see her reaction if asked to do something she doesn't want to do or understand, & someone then grabbed her nose. As mentioned try a slip lead or get a house line for a short while to trail when free & unsupervised, then you can gently control the situation. Good luck.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have always been able to move my dogs because from puppy on growling at me or anyone else is not an option.I would put a leash on him before trying to get him to move and use the word off,then use the leash to make him move.May I suggest some obedience training.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

Frankie, you must be unlucky because in three generations of my family owning Bassets, always either two or three in our houses at the same time, various ages, some pups from 8 - 10 weeks old and a lot of older Bassets, never once have any of my family had andy Basset that has 'growled' at us or at each other in an aggressive way.

Goodness me, I find it incredibly hard to believe that an 11-week-old Basset would bite you 'down to your bone'... Where would such aggression in a baby Basset come from? I can't even imagine a Basset of any age biting 'down to a bone'... Maybe being a soft-natured family, it rubs off on our Bassets because every one of ours, even older rehomed hounds have been gentle natured with not an angry bone in any of them! I have friends who are 'reputable' Basset breeders & show them and your breeder doesn't sound reputable, telling you to grab snouts, he/she sounds a bit 'aggressive' so I wonder if this breeder has a nasty streak that the dogs have picked up if their snouts are being grabbed as it sounds aggressive to me!

Edit: I'm going back to read the replies because I have only read the OP message so far.

Last edited by SophieB; 12-30-2012 at 02:53 PM.
SophieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default Helpful support please!

Thanks for your response Sophie B, although I did not find it helpful in any way. It seems I am not alone in having a Basset respond in a negative manner when he does not like something. How wonderful for you and your family to have never had a puppy to even growl. I think many on this site would agree that this is NOT the norm. Trying to use words like "unlucky" and suggest that the our home is to blame is just not needed! I am new to this site and I had hoped that I could come her for support - not judging words like yours. Frankie would surely be showing aggression in other areas of his life if our home was what you suggested. As I said prior, he is a doll 90 % of the time. He simply gets angry when we want to come inside after play, moved off the couch or off his bed.

Obviously I am in the dark on how Frankie was treated at the breeder's home. I can say I did walk away with confidence in the breeder and her methods. It is not uncommon for many to use the snout or roll on back when laying ground rules....this is not a method we will be using as I find it brings out more aggression BUT it clearly has worked for some - different strokes for different folks as they say.
FrankiePanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

Frankie, I have read thru this thread, and posted about my grumpy basset. Please don't take it as you are doing anything "wrong". Each dog, not matter the breed, will have its own personality. Like I said, Jake is a grumpy bastard if you wake him from a dead sleep. Normally a pretty easy going guy. However, as he ages, he is getting grumpier (13 x 7 = 91) He can pretty much rule the roost! Ellie... you can do anything to that little girl!

I am NOT am expert or a trainer, but I would suggest, if the behavior isn't dangerous, then learn to work with him. Like I did with Jake, wake up easy... etc... If it is a serious problem, then look into training... but don't blame yourself from the get go...

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

As far as I can tell there is no one on this forum judging you.There are mean nasty bassets out there,could be from the parents on either side of a pedigree,or maybe he is use to having to defend himself against brothers and sisters,maybe the breeder didn't spend enough time socializing him,but I can tell you this, as he gets older this will only get worse.Obedience will help you to gain control and do it in a positive way.Grabbing the snout will not work he will come back after your hand and you will get bit.Alpha works up to about 8 weeks of age ,past that unless you know what you are doing you will insight aggression in him. I handle my dogs a lot as puppies,I'm always holding them ,teaching them what is acceptable and what is not this makes their temperments impecable, but I'm very careful with who I place them with since all I've done can be undone under the right circumstances. Puppies will try you when the come into adolesence but if he only 11 weeks that hasn't happened yet and, really ,all it takes is one time for you to retreat from him if he growls or snaps and that is the behavior that will take over.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

In regards to what you said Bubbad -- I would love to pick your brain a little; sorry if this is hijacking the post! I have a 4 month old basset baby, Clementine. She bites, a lot! She won't bite, like Frankie's mom said, when you bother her when she's eating. She doesn't bite when I wake her up or move her. When she is playing or just lounging around the house she'll bite my feet, or jump and bite my hands, or whatever else she can reach on me. The other day she was jumping and biting me when I was sitting on the couch, and after multiple failed attempts of stern NO's, I bent down to pick up a toy on the ground to try to get her to play with it and she bit my nose hard enough to make it bleed profusely. I am at a loss. This is my first dog, let alone first basset, and I would love any encouraging advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Clementine's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:48 AM   #19 (permalink)

What is her age? MikeyT has some good info on bite inhabition or you may be able to look it up yourself.Puppies play using their mouths,which is what it sounds like yours is doing.Of course if you bend down the closest thing is your face. My pups are 4 months now and they realize when I say"NO" or "AH AH" they are doing something I don't want them to do but I have used those words with them since they were old enough to walk. I spend a lot of time playing and giving them affection,some grow out of it some get worse.It is not a simple thing to tell you what works and what doesn't ,you have to learn to think like the dog then things become somewhat easier because you understand why they do what they do and how to curtail it.An obedience class,even just a puppy one would be helpful. When she wants to grab your hand or feet ,growl in a low voice at her and say"NO" you do not need to yell she is not deaf but you need to get her attention.when she is being good use a high tone of voice to tell her so,happy ,happy,but you must be careful when you do this not to over stimulate her or the bitting will start up again .Nothing is a once and done you will need to be consistant and persistant with her. It hurts like hell when they get your nose,I know, but realize that if you bend down she is going to jump so if her mouth doesn't get you her nails will .Everyone in the house needs to correct her the same way using the same word.If people use different words she will become confused and not listen to anything.Putting another toy in her mouth is a good way of redirecting her just be sure you aren't bending down
Old 12-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

Well I responded above but I just wanted to add that I think all of our bassets or any breed have various temperaments. Mine were all raised in the same environment and all 3 of them act differently to various things. Riley is highly social and loves everybody and all dogs. He has never even growled in his sleep. Daisy was aggressive with food or bones/treats only. Benson was my aggressor. He growled when moved or even nudged. It was almost like he was standing his ground. When my daughter in law tried to move Benson from the couch he snapped at her and he actually got down, followed her out of the room like he wanted to bite her. I couldn't believe it. I always thought that maybe he was a product of overbreeding...something with genetics. When he was mad about something, there wasn't a chance in hell that I was going to correct him. All of us have to judge the situation while its happening and we all have different ways of going about it. It isn't acceptable behavior but I don't think there is a right or wrong way to correct it as far as I am concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
mydawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement