Hubert attacked Toby today - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hubert attacked Toby today

So I am a little at a loss here. Today all the boys had chews and Hubert and Eeyore ate theirs down in a hurry but Toby prefers to carry his around for a while and then bury it. He had just buried it in a sheet on the bed when Hubert walks up to investigate. Toby gives him a warning growl and then Hubert just attacks him. Hubert had a good hold of him by the throat but my husband heard me screaming and walked in slamming the door which startled Hubert and he let go for just a moment but it was long enough for me to grab Toby up and leave the room. It all happened in a split second. I know the difference between rough play and this. When Hubert and Eeyore play it sometimes can sound like they are killing each other but this was a snarling lunge. Just different then I have ever seen them act before. I figure no more treats when everyone is out together but just wanted some input. This was just so far out of the norm for any of my boys.
JustRoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

We've had to do serious behavior training with Copper. He's very aggressive when it comes to treats/food and other male dogs. (Female dogs he doesn't bat an eye when they take his goods.) We have to separate them to different parts of the house or crate them for feedings and any treats they don't eat immediately (like rawhides).
Former Foster Mom to [/SIZE][SIZE=1] Domino (A 3/13), Dustin Hoffman (A 11/13), Murphy (A 12/13) Jamiedoxie/basset (A 6/12),Taz & Tommy (trans. to med care 4/12) Ashley (A 3/12)Gwendolyn (A 2/12)and Dudley (A 8/11)
SarahRainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

How awful for you. I can't give any advice other than to supervise, our two are very hard done by as they don't get (or rarely unless given by someone else) chews or large treats. They do however get recreational bones, meaty bones, hooves & pigs ears, to begin with they were very very high value & it wasn't always easy to remove the recreational bones; meaty bones unless there was a problem I wouldn't dream of removing, but the longer they have been getting them there value has decreased. I can leave them alone in their baskets or if its 'dry' in the garden but I'm always around, if problems occurred I would supervise. Don't allow them to wander around the house with them, they have to stay in their baskets. It's the same at meal times Otto gets less than Lucas, so Lucas gets his first & then Otto, but it would be asking for trouble if I wasn't in the room 'advising' Otto to leave Lucas alone. Hope Toby is OK, has anything like this happened before? Love the name Eeyore!
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hubert and Eeyore are both young Hubert at a little over a year and Eeyore at around 9 months. We got them both as puppies and they are such a bonded pair that they always work out their differences. Toby is old at 5 or 6 years (a rescue ) we got a few months ago and he plays with the puppies but always lets a little growl to let them know when he has had enough. His jaw was broken sometime before we got him and he can't eat hard food, so he wouldn't stand a chance defending himself. Nothing like this has EVER happened before. I think that's why it caught me so off guard. Also it was strange because the chew was Toby's to begin with. Usually the only time the boys growl are when another dog gets to close while they are eating. This time Toby growled and Hubert just lunged and had him pinned down by the throat. My Husband did point out that no skin was broken and that Hubert really could have done some damage if he wanted to. Eeyore and Toby are both right around 40 lbs, with slim builds. Hubert is my big solid tank at 65 lbs.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Eeyore & Hubert are the equivalent to hormonal teenagers so 'perhaps' Hubert is trying his luck. Sorry to hear of Toby's jaw, Otto is severely compromised with deformities & arthritis, can't physically throw his weight around & have found that when he & his cousin play he can be a right bitch ! Also have often thought that he has been picked on far more than Lucas by other dogs, wondered if they realise his disabilities & weakness? Wishing you all the best & hope things work out.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

I usually don't let them keep large treats they aren't currently eating. Fred steals treats and resource guards pretty bad, so I'll usually keep him in his crate when he gets a large raw hide or something, and I don't let him out until he and the other dogs are finished.

Pickle is a couple years older than my other two and can be quite the curmudgeon when she's trying to sleep. Sometimes when Fred or Chunk get too rough and step on her, she'll chase down whomever is closest, grab him by his ear or neck and pin him to the floor while growling. She'll hold him there for a few seconds even if he's yelping then lets go and lays back down. She never actually hurts the other two, but she does get her point across. Maybe it was kind of a similar situation for yours?
Fred,Pickle-n-Chunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hubert attacked Toby today-imageuploadedbypg-free1356750763.652523.jpg

Mines would slightly growl at one another when it comes to chewing treats but 98% they are like this....

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lemontart01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
Hubert had a good hold of him by the throat
I am assume no damage was done. if It was HUBERTS INTENTION TO CAUSE DAMAGE it would have accured. Personally I would never give a dog a treat it consitently burried especially in a multi-dog houeshold it is much more likely to become a "bone of Contention" than a treat that is eaten right away
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

First of all, I'm sorry you had to deal with this situation, which always left me pretty shook up, when it happened with our small pack. Fact is after our numbers crept up, we didn't do raw bones at all. And only gave them treats that could be consumed pretty much as soon as they were given. Otherwise there was always the potential for this kind of thing to happen.

I think as this has now happened with your three, unless you can confine each to a separate area (yes, crates) until the treats have all gone (and if one tried to bury it, go get it and hold it over for the next time), then what you give them should probably only be biscuits which are eaten pretty much right away.

I do think your younger dog(s) is now pushing the boundaries, perhaps realising that Toby is the weakest link in your little pack. I'd not call Toby old, but obviously his jaw situation has made him vulnerable.

Obviously it goes without saying that you must try to avoid this kind of thing going on - I had a male we kept from one of our litters (there were only males in that litter!!) but as he approached 2, he started challenging his uncle to the point that eventually there was no stopping this (despite all my best efforts to get them to sort it out once and for all) and I had to very reluctantly, home the younger one. I'm not suggesting you are looking at this, but if this continues, it may be necessary. There's no point putting any of your three at risk, or having to worry about leaving them alone!!
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hubert has been pushing the boundaries of everything here lately. In two weeks he starts some more advanced obedience and socialization classes. He has always been our most difficult with everything. When we are gone Hubert and Eeyore stay in our puppy room together and Toby roams the house. I think from now on any bones or longer lasting chews will only be given when the little boys are put up in their room. I think it does stand to say that I think I was more shook up than either boy. As soon as I carried Toby to the next room he was just tail-waggin-happy as ever. I think it scared me so much too because this is the first interaction of its kind between the two. I am so used to Hubert and Eeyore's rough housing and what not that I don't pay them any mind.
Advertisement