Dentals close together? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dentals close together?

Copper had a dental in September at a vet we ended up hating (so we switched right after that visit). At the Sept. dental, they determined he had Grade 2 tartar buildup. He came out with pearly whites.

Four months later...we boarded him at the new vets...they called two days later and said he had Grade 2 tartar buildup and wanted to know if I'd like to do a dental. They didn't know he had just gotten one a few months earlier. Grade 2 buildup again in just four months.

He only eats hard kibble, no soft bits in it. Rarely if ever does he get a can of soft food (maybe one a month).

Thoughts on what might be causing this so quickly? I thought dentals were supposed to be an annual thing.

Looks like we're going to have to start brushing his teeth. Just not thrilled to be coming back from the holidays to a $800 vet bill (Copper's dental + boarding for 2 dogs + neutering of the pit puppy + treatment of respiratory infection in the pit puppy contracted before he arrived there) and I certainly don't want to repeat another $200+ dental if I don't have to in the future.
Former Foster Mom to [/SIZE][SIZE=1] Domino (A 3/13), Dustin Hoffman (A 11/13), Murphy (A 12/13) Jamiedoxie/basset (A 6/12),Taz & Tommy (trans. to med care 4/12) Ashley (A 3/12)Gwendolyn (A 2/12)and Dudley (A 8/11)
SarahRainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

I hate to seem the skeptic, but I doubt that much build up in such a short time. Seems like a scam to me unless there is a medical issue that causes the build up, especially eating dry food.

Have you looked at the teeth yourself? You can generally see build up.

Not an expert, but, brush his teeth and if you don't see any build up, I would attribute it to a money making enterprise. That is way too soon for needing dental work unless there is a "medical" issue causing the problem.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

The last vet was definitely a scam and a horrible human being, but that's another story. (Every one I've spoken with who has animals has shuddered when I mention the old vet's name. I was new to the area and didn't know better.)

This is the new vet who wanted a second dental. The new vet (whom I've absolutely loved since I started using them), sent me photos of his mouth so I could evaluate for myself before we made the decision to do it again. To be honest, I hadn't taken a look at his teeth since his last dental in Sept because I figured he was fine since he'd so recently had one. But the pictures (which are clearly Copper) show buildup again and sore, red gums signaling gingivitis. I'm glad that the vet at least sent me photos (without me asking first) instead of just trying to push me into a dental without any evidence.

He's only 2...if he were older I'd expect a medical issue. But other than age and soft food, what can cause that kind of buildup? Maybe I'll go back to giving dentastix in addition to starting to brush his teeth.

Can't wait to get back from this holiday and pick him up on Monday.
Former Foster Mom to [/SIZE][SIZE=1] Domino (A 3/13), Dustin Hoffman (A 11/13), Murphy (A 12/13) Jamiedoxie/basset (A 6/12),Taz & Tommy (trans. to med care 4/12) Ashley (A 3/12)Gwendolyn (A 2/12)and Dudley (A 8/11)
SarahRainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

I wonder if at your old vet they did a poor job of cleaning his teeth, maybe were not properly trained? I work at a vets office and will ask one of our Docs what might have caused build up so quickly . I also highly recommend CET chews. I know some dogs are picky and don't care for them buy two of my boys love them. I brush when I can but more days then not I just supplement with those.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

I too am suspicious about exactly what went on here. If your hound had a dental (I didn't know plaque was graded ) so shortly before the second one, why did you agree that they went ahead?

Yes, an annual dental check should be all that's needed in a young hound much as I've found that poor teeth does sometimes run in some bloodlines. I don't do brushing as although it may help, if plaque/tartar is going to build up, it still will. I have a dental instrument which I use to clean any obvious build up, around the canines especially, and just recently bought a new (for here) dental paste called Dentisept which was recommended by my vet (although I've since found at half the price online!!) Apparently it works although to be honest, I've not really used yet. Too much else going on.

I think you was 'had'.
FranksMum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have heard it's carbs that make the build up so the hard food wouldn't make any difference. Canned food isn't the culprit like most people say. Kibble does not clean teeth.

You could get raw bones to help keep the teeth clean but if that scares you I also have heard of a gel you put on the teeth. I know I have heard that it really works but I don't remember what it was called. I can do a search on the sight I heard that if you want me to.

This guy was trying it and was updating how it was going, it has been a year or so ago. He said it was working.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzo View Post
I also have heard of a gel you put on the teeth. I know I have heard that it really works but I don't remember what it was called.
Amazon.com: C.E.T. Oral Hygiene Rinse for Dogs and Cats - 8 ounces: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: C.E.T. Oral Hygiene Rinse for Dogs and Cats - 8 ounces: Pet Supplies

This is one I use.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

And do you think it works?
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think the dentist is money-grabbing!! I've recently started using 'Fortan' having been recommended it for tartar build-up, (not that my dogs have much tartar as I brush their teeth occasionally - not as often as I should) by a friend who has been using it for about 10 months on her Labs.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/d...FUbKtAodOwUALw

Rocky's Blog: Fortan Dental Care

Last edited by SophieB; 12-30-2012 at 05:39 PM.
SophieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzo View Post
And do you think it works?
It is hard to say because I also brush and use dental chews but so far everything looks good.
Advertisement