Help please! Emma doesn't want to eat her own food. - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help please! Emma doesn't want to eat her own food.

Hello everyone! Emma doesn't seem interested in her food anymore. She wants to eat Oscar's food all the time and she is eager to take treats or anything else we offer. Just not her regular staple food. Oscar and Emma both eat the same brand food, it's just ones for puppy and ones for adult. I like this brand because Emma's poop is good, her coat is shiny and she doesn't have skin problem. What should I do? I am tempted to try another brand but I am afraid the problem will resurface once she is 'bored' with the same old food everyday. I try to add kong peanut butter filling or a tablespoon of canned food but she will only lick off the surface and not really work on the kibbles itself. I feel pretty helpless now. My husband says we should just let her be and she will learn what hungry is and eat better at her next meal. Just like our kids. Do you think so? Do I need to intervene or just let her decide what's enough for her? She is 12 weeks now, weighing around 17 pounds and we are feeding her 1 cup, twice a day. Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Emma's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

What is her food?... You might have the best complete dog food but it might not be right....
Old 12-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
My husband says we should just let her be and she will learn what hungry is and eat better at her next meal.
in that reguard your husband is correct picky eater at taught by the actions of their owners to be picky they are not borm. It is very likely if you were to feed emma adult food and oscar puppy food she would once again want "his" ie the grass is aleways greener. Depending on the food it might or might not be ok to feed the puppy the adult version.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If she is not eating what is put down, she is not hungry. When she's hungry, she'll eat.

Switching foods, adding "goodies" and fussing over whether she eats or not just trains her to hold out for something "better" and attention.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance

Last edited by Soundtrack; 12-27-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

We are feeding both dogs Iams now. That was what she was eating before we got her.Since Oscar is only 1.5 anyways, should I feed them both the same puppy food? I thought all dog foods probably taste the same? You guys are right...the grass is definitely greener on the other side. I try not to feed them at the same spot since they are eating different amounts and Oscar will finish first and may want to work on hers. Do you guys have any suggestions on a better brand that might be more appealing to her? Thanks everyone! I really appeciate any help.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

But yes I agree, she will eat when she's hungry. I need to get over it. It's just worrying if my baby doesn't want to eat her food and would rather graze the grass or bury her face in the soil instead.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sorry but I think sometimes dogs don't like their food - especially if it's some dry kibble put down day after day... move on try a new one and introduce it slowly. If they are fed something day in and day out make sure they like it....
Old 12-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry but I think sometimes dogs don't like their food -
of course dogs have preference but feed to the dogs preference can lead nutritional problems, the quest is will a dog stoave tiself to death when presented a food it does not particularly care for and the answer is no. Cats are know to dogs will eat and eat in sufficient quality to maintain a healthy body mass
Old 12-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
If they are fed something day in and day out make sure they like it....
not likely a healthy nutritional practice.

The myth of !00% complete and Blaanced pet food

Quote:
Even though people may think they are being smart by relying on the pet expert industry, stop and think about this for a moment. Nobody in their right mind would ever eat the same processed food, meal after meal, day after day for a lifetime. Nobody would make his or her child eat the same processed food at every meal. So why on earth would we ever think of doing it to our pets? Yet virtually every pet owner feeds the same processed food, meal after meal, day after day, and does so thinking they are doing their pet a favor because the label says "100% complete and balanced."
Old 12-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Mikey again you are singing to the choir -variety is the spice of life!!
Advertisement