Help please! Emma doesn't want to eat her own food. - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I know this dosen't help get her to eat, but at 12 weeks I'd be feeding 4 meals or at least 3 till she's 4 months & then 3 times a day.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yes vectivagrant, I tried feeding her 3 times a day in smaller portions and she couldnt bothered to even look at her food. Spoiled brat!!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Emma's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=Emma's mum;152806]Yes vectivagrant, I tried feeding her 3 times a day in smaller portions and she couldnt bothered to even look at her food. Spoiled brat!!

No bless her she's not a spoiled brat, she's still a baby. If it's been said, sorry to repeat but have you tried adding a little warm water to it, kibble is very dull. Used to add tripe to moist kibble when ours was a pup, though know they have different digestion rates. I am surprised at her not eating, ours have always eaten whatever is put infront of them like basking sharks , have you taken her to a vet just to be sure everything is OK, she needs the nourishment when growing so fast? Can't recommend a kibble (loath the stuff) as ours are raw fed. Good luck.

Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Buttercup

This sounds like PB... she'll eat ANYBODY's food except her own. It's true she will eventually get hungry enough to eat her own but we've tricked her by telling her "that's not yours"! Silly thing runs over & eats every time! Oh & she also will devour her kibble if it's in someone else's bowl. Dog, cat, horse... whatever!

Princess Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Gosh it's 5pm now and she behaved like I just offered her poison!!! I had some leftover pedigree puppy food and I mixed it with her regular food. She gobbled them down. Maybe she just doesnt like the same food day in day out? i dont know. I am nervous at mealtimes now. Oscar always ate everything we gave him. Took her to the vet last week. Clean bill of health and growing like a weed on her own chart. We used to add some water to the dry kibbles but she prefers it dry. And she loves treats and I have to limit them so that she has appetite for her regular food. Maybe I'll have to tough it out and let her go hungry one or two meals? I am just obsessed with my kids/dogs eating well.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

You are right, vectivagrant ! I thought bassets are great eaters! I am so upset right now. I hate to waste food too.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:57 AM   #17 (permalink)

I’m from the old school that as long as your hound isn’t sick and is only being finicky – I put the food down for half hour or so – then pick it up. If they don’t eat - they don’t eat. When they get hungry they will.

My hubby on the other hand is the complete opposite of me – and because he gets so worried when they don’t eat started spoon feeding my hounds when Flash was a baby. Yes you read that right – spoon feeding. For a few years we couldn’t make plans to do anything around breakfast or dinner because Flash & Lucy would not eat unless we fed them with a spoon. When I would put the bowl down I would get a look of “what may I ask am I to do with that” it took a long time for me to finally get them to eat on their own and a lot of battles with my hubby to stop feeding them that way. I think I have a video posted of hubby spoon feeding them.

Flash was always finicky and would throw her bowl across the room until I finally found a weighted tray to feed her on. But even then she would lay down and stare at her food for what seemed forever, then finally eat one little piece at a time. The pups I have now – some days they don’t eat all or much of their food and other days they don’t leave a drop. Again, as long as they are healthy I don’t let it bother me. But I do keep an eye on them when they leave a lot of food just to be sure it’s not health related. In fact just last month – it cost me $600 at a visit to the emergency vet because mine was closed when Page my pup didn’t eat for a few meals in a row – only to find out she missed her brother that went hunting with my husband. When we were at the vet my husband came home and when Page saw Rickie it was like one of them commercials of lost love – she devoured all her sisters food that was left. The little stinker missed her squeaky toy Rickie.

Also I’d ease up on the treats so you’ll have a better chance of them being hungry when you put the food down. Don’t let them lay a guilt trip on you – keep in mind these guys eat poop – so when they turn their nose up at “good quality” food that I buy – I just give them an “oh, REALLY” look – poop is better than this? Yea right!

Best of luck – I’m sure she’ll be fine – just let it ride out….

Jen~
Momma to Rickie age 6 ~ Shi-Poo (don’t tell him though – he thinks he’s a hound dog)
Momma to Flash ~ Basset Hound – RIP 2000 ~ 2011 – Gone in body but with me in spirit ~ You will live on forever in my heart baby ~ Je t'aime
houndmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #18 (permalink)

Honestly. Joey is getting fussy aswel. He gets half cup of dry kibble in the morning and its a hit or miss weather he eats it. Yesterday he wasn't keen but this morning he wolfed it down. He gets a pedigree puppy pouch for lunch and he absolutely loves them. Then it's dry kibble again at evening meal around 6ish! Again it's a hit or miss with it. If I put a few human veggies in it he will eat it but if its plain he sometimes doesn't bother.
He gets royal canin food, even though its supposed to be really good for them I think he's getting bored of it. X

Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #19 (permalink)

Thank you Jen and Lisa! It makes me feel better that I am not the only one facing the same problem. I spoke to the breeder last night and realized Emma's parents are fussy eaters too. Emma's mum will miss her food at least twice a week. Guess it runs in the family!!! But yeah, they also suggest not to add "goodies" or change her food because she will learn to be even more picky. She ate 3/4 of her food this morning so I think I should just let it go and be happy.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #20 (permalink)

Thank you everyone for your advice and kind words!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement