What do I need... - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What do I need...

I want to FINALLY get a professional to help with Edee's socialization issues, or lack thereof. Do I choose a trainer or a behaviorist?
Here are the issues I want to focus on foremost:
-She barks/lunges at other dogs and people when I take her on walks, but her hair does not stand on her back and does not snarl her lip.
-She resource guards the house. (I think its called that). When she sees/hears dogs, people, delivery trucks, cars go by the house, she runs out to the back yard and runs the length of the house and fence until they have left.

I have not taken her to a dog park, because I see how she is on a walk. But I eventually would like to.
I have read I can do disensetation excerises myself, but I prefer to get a professional involved.
She is five years old and is fixed, I adopted her when she was 3 years old. Do not know her history.
Thanks.

Last edited by momofedee; 12-26-2012 at 01:34 PM.
momofedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

MOE I would start with a behaviourist - if it was me. Personally I would like someone to get to know Edee and more of the causes of problems first. From experience I had some issues with Margot off lead when we got her and went straight to a trainer - absolutely the wrong thing for her! It's so crucial to get the right behaviourist\trainer - one that knows Hounds. I asked this trainer and he said I can work with any dog. Margot shut down after 15 minutes of his training with her!! Some trainers are both behaviourists and trainers and very good at it. I would ask to observe any trainer doing their job before I trusted them with one of mine again.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
MOE I would start with a behaviourist
could not agree more. It is best if the behaviorist can se the dogs behavior in a natural setting ie your home. Many vet schools have remote consultations but they are limited because they have to rely on your biased perceptions. That is to say any person expert or not observing their own dogs behavior is going to be biased.

ithat said there in no rules state , federal or local preventing anyone form simply calling themselves a behaviorist even if they have no pradtical or formal training. so the name becaomes actually meaningless. You need to find a behaviorist certified from one of the two univeral recognised certifying bodies in the US.

1. Amercan college of veterinary Behaviorist. Find a board certified behaviorist

2. American Behavior Society Find a diplomate
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
She barks/lunges at other dogs and people when I take her on walks
does this only occur on leash or other wise restrained ie fence, crate, but not at dog park etc, ?

Quote:
When she sees/hears dogs, people, delivery trucks, cars go by the house, she runs out to the back yard and runs the length of the house and fence until they have left.
may not be guarding at all which is why it is important to have an independant observer see the actual behavior and all the contexts associated with it.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses and the links to finding a behaviorist, I appreciate it.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

fwiw if he lunging and other agressive behavior only occur when she is constrained, rather than being a socialization issue it is actualy a learned behavior. that occurs with a lot of dogs. It is known as "leash agrression"

A Dog Trainer sould be abe to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement