Will he ever sleep all night?!?! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Will he ever sleep all night?!?!

This is my first post on this forum. I own a 7 month Basset named Hank, who is doing great at house training. He is in great health and a very active pup. I was wondering when will he start to sleep all night long without having to go out to relieve himself? I always let him out before we go to bed but he always wakes me up crying in the middle of the night sometimes 2 or 3 times to go out. Will he out grow this stage or is there something I should be doing? Thanks for any advice given!
Colby08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hank, you are one fine looking southern gent!

Yes, eventually he will sleep through the night. Ellie is almost 6 months and will sleep through most nights. On occasion if she wakes me, then I know she has gotta go. If I remember correctly (its been 13 yrs) it took Jake a bit longer to have all night control. I don't know if it is a "boy thing" or not, but he was also more difficult to house train. Now that he is an "old man" he is starting to get up at night, so I feel your pain!

Some recommend and others don't... limiting or taking away water at night. I put my own twist on it. about 1/2 hr before I am going to put them out and go to be, I give them nice cold fresh water and give them on opportunity to do one more bottoms up, then I will put them out as I am ready to head upstairs to bed. I don't refill the water until morning, they don't have water in the bedroom. I make sure they have a good pee (jake never disappoints!) and like I said, usually OK until morning.

However, if they have been sick or have had the runs that day, I will leave them downstairs with plenty of water to both avert accidents in the bedroom & dehydration if they had the runs.

Someone with more experience will be along shortly

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do not let him free feed. Feed him in the am and pm(early 6 ish) no treats after that time either.Water should be stopped by 7 at least if he gets really thirsty after that give him an ice cube. He should be sleeping through by now so if he asks to go out and he doesn't do anything you may need to ignore him a couple times .does he hear someone up ,like going to the bathroom,if he wakes up like that he will probably have to go,but see if he will go back to sleep.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Because of the area we live in we never restrict water. It's not very humid here but there are times during the summer it doesn't get below 100 degrees. We always have water available in the master bath area and the kitchen because having 5 it seems to run out in one place or the other. We also have a doggie door that leads to the back yard so we don't have to wake up to let them out.
Carly Ann - Toy Poodle
Copper -(Speed-bump) Basset
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

We do not free feed him and water is taken away around 6ish.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby08 View Post
We do not free feed him and water is taken away around 6ish.
At 7 months what is his feeding schedule and amounts of food?
Carly Ann - Toy Poodle
Copper -(Speed-bump) Basset
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Maybe it is a boy thing like mentioned before - my Clem has slept through the night since 2 months old, and I don't restrict or take away water at all.
Maybe I'm lucky and that's my trade off for her chewing my vertical blinds and biting like a snapping turtle ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Clementine's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

We feed him twice a day about 1-2 cups of food between 7 and 8 a.m. and again between 5 and 6 p.m. Water is left out throughout the day until he is finished eating in the afternoon.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

By 7 months, provided you have had him for a little while now, he should be holding right through the night. Obviously you need to give him the benefit of the doubt, but there is a limit. With my most recent buy ins I had them in crates with me overnight, and tried to have to wake them, around 3 am to take them out, so they didn't get into the idea that they cried, and I reacted! Previously we bred our own and had them in a puppy pen (those we ran on) with some newspaper down, so any mistakes didn't matter that much and I certainly didn't get up to let them out - the holding ability just happened once they were physically able. As this is happening, I suggest you probably need to try ignoring him and see what happens. Whether he really needs to empty, or is just knowing you'll come Try increasing the heat where he sleeps - often a chilly hound will stir and the next thing will be 'I need to pee'.

I don't believe in withholding water while the dog is up and around. Dogs on a complete dry food should have water available all the time. Restricting water can lead to kidney problems later on. Mine don't however, have water in their crates overnight because they are sleeping - and they don't dive at the water bowl first thing in the morning either I feed the last /second meal around 5pm which usually gives them time to digest it before bed-time. My Whippet was 9 weeks when we got her - a few overnight pee accidents which soon stopped after I also fed her in her crate (vet tip), and my Basset was 4 months, and was able to hold through the night, from day one.

I think what's going on with your lad right now, is habit. Although it might be worth having his urine tested just in case there's a physical reason for him not to be clean overnight. UTI?
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

He does sleep in the bed with me. Is that something I should change? Should I have him sleep in his crate or in the kitchen where we have him when we are not home? I'm thinking maybe my tossing and turning is waking him up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement