Back to Square One - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Back to Square One

Ellie was doing SOOO good on her house training.... then it got cold... apparently she is one of those Tropical Bassets! Not a fan of going outside when it is cold! Still uses her piddle pads, but not so interested in the outdoor activities. I have to literally boot her butt out the door. Guess it is time to start house training from scratch again. UGH!

Jake remains unfazed, neither rain, nor sleet, or snow.... will keep him from his "appointed rounds"

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Oh god. Our joey refuses to go outside today, the rain and wind is terrible, he's been out once for a pee pee but the rest he has done in the house. I hate the rain :/ x

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

The potty training blips! All three of mine came in the Spring/Summer and when it turned cold, rainy and windy they'd stick their head out and no way and try to scoot back inside. It was back to basics - I think they want their people to do the weather with them. Even now Margot will cross her legs as long as she can before she'll go out in this weather. You would think she'd be used to it by now...
Old 12-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not only is it cold but we are having some serious wind gusts 40-70 mph. apparently, Ellie is not a fan!

However, I can't wait until we get some snow accumulation.. can't wait to see Ellie's reaction. It always fires Jake up.
'

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Old 12-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Oh how I wish we would get some snow here! I would love to see my boys in it. The temps though have only hit below 30 this year a handful of times, and my boys don't really mind the cold. If it is raining though it is nearly impossible to get them to go out.
JustRoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sounds a typical Basset to me - one look outside and if it's raining, head back indoors. I've almost always had to boot out over the step - although with my Whippet, once I've said 'Squirrel', she's off out, with him in hot pursuit.

What I would urge is you ditch the pee pads - this has only told her it's fine to empty indoors, which obviously it's not.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Molly doesn't mind the rain or snow, but she likes someone to go out with her. For the last potty break at night and the first one in the morning, I am in my pajamas and don't want to go out. The cat usually goes out with her, and sometimes that is good enough.
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

@FranksMum: funny, I have a similar ruse with one of ours , Blondie who doesn't want her bottom to touch wet grass......I say "Squirrel" and out she tears.
3kbasset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

The piddle pads will go, however, in the mean time, she uses the outdoors 90% of the time. I prefer the 10% on pads rather than randomly on the floor. The temp just dropped this week, and she is slowly getting better... rain isn't an issue so much as it was, high winds seem to freak her a bit. I do have to "stand guard" and encourage when the weather is crappy, but she'll go.... however, I am not thrilled standing in the cold rain!!! Especially first thing in the AM in a nite shirt! BRRRRR! (but anything for my babies!)

Merry Christmas!!!

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Old 12-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnfr View Post
however, I am not thrilled standing in the cold rain!!! Especially first thing in the AM in a nite shirt! BRRRRR! (but anything for my babies!)

Merry Christmas!!!

I do know how you feel, BUT it's all part of being owned by a Basset. Have a coat and boots by the door - is all I can suggest

Merry Christmas to you.... just about to start the Christmas dinner (well the duck is in the oven already ..... mmm I hope )
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement