Need sleep! Please help!! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need sleep! Please help!!

Our little girl, no matter what we do, will not sleep past 4:00am. I work in a prison and need to be alert and she is not helping. When she wakes us up, either myself or my wife will take her outside to use the bathroom but once she gets back in, she wants to play. Ive tried wearing her out at night as much as I can but nothing seems to help
Sixguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

how old is she?

the wanting to play once up is probably not unusual...ours the same way (one year old). Is she crated? maybe a treat to get her back into her crate.

are you feeding her once she's up (is she associating getting up with food?)...had a dog that did that. kept getting up earlier and earlier to get "breakfast"

or is she hungry and maybe feeding times the night before need adjusted?

Is she hearing something outside at that time that is waking her (newspaper being delivered, etc.)

does she sleep near you or in another part of the house?

Last edited by 3kbasset; 12-21-2012 at 08:52 AM.
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

see Creating a Nighttime Ritual
Quote:
In the middle of the night, it's not quite that easy. When she wakes, she'll need to go potty. Pick her up and carry her outside -- don't talk to her or pet her or otherwise interact with her. Put her down, and as soon as she potties, pick her up and carry her back to her crate. Do not talk to her or pet her -- she needs to be stimulated as little as possible, and she needs to learn that the middle of the night is *not* for playing.
She'll wake up early. You have a choice then -- you can get up early and stay up, or you can get up, feed her breakfast, and pop her in a second, larger crate with a marrow bone for another couple of hours while you go back to bed. I choose the latter. :-)
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

I really feel for you! Going through the exact same thing with our fabulous Cooper, it's frustrating and will push you to your limits but at the end of the day when coop has got to go, he's got to go! Unfortunately he will hold it - which is also great, he doesn't like to potty inside but its just unfair to leave him. Cooper would be hard to settle when he's brought back to bed after being brought outside (it's freezing here right now, it could wake the dead!)

What I usually do is take him outside - saying nothing, refusing to nuzzle into his warm squishy folds, he goes to do his thing straight away. I pick him up, bring him to his bed and relax him with a cuddle (although I think it's me that needs the cuddle at this point!) as soon as he starts his fog horn snoring then it's just like the game operation, I try to place him into his bed without waking the little nutball.

Last night however was the first night he slept right until 4am (he usually wakes at half 11, half 2 then half 5 so we were very thankful! It's something we've had to accept for now, they're only puppies I know it's not very helpful in this kind of situation but it doesn't matter how much we don't like it just try to remember she will get there eventually!
CooperB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kbasset View Post
how old is she?

the wanting to play once up is probably not unusual...ours the same way (one year old). Is she crated? maybe a treat to get her back into her crate.

are you feeding her once she's up (is she associating getting up with food?)...had a dog that did that. kept getting up earlier and earlier to get "breakfast"

or is she hungry and maybe feeding times the night before need adjusted?

Is she hearing something outside at that time that is waking her (newspaper being delivered, etc.)

does she sleep near you or in another part of the house?
She is only 10 weeks old now. We arent really crating her. We have a crate for her but we have turned our laundry room into her room. We have put up a door gate to keep her and so this way she can get up and move around while we are at work or asleep. She sleeps in her crate though. I have feed her everyday at 7:00 am since we got her. I know my wife has been feeding her between 4-6 at night. I keep trying to get her to feed at the same time everyday. She doesnt sleep near us either. At night when we put her back in her little area, she will whine/bark for about 3-5 minutes and than she will lay down.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

At 10 weeks old she should be eating 3-4 times per day. She might just be hungry.
Carly Ann - Toy Poodle
Copper -(Speed-bump) Basset
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Crating works really well for us! Emma is 11 weeks and has been sleeping through 7-8 hours without accident in her crate. We take away her water after 6pm also so that she has a couple of hours to empty her bladder before bedtime. But we too have our set of problems, she is still not house broken yet even though we worked really hard with repetition and praise. I can't wait for her to be running freely all over the house without keeping an eye at her 24-7. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Emma's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

agree with dreamons on the number of times feeding and that she may be hungry. At just over 1 year ours are feed twice a day.

also agree with mikey T. I awaken before hubby and feed the girls and put them out for pee pee, etc. sophie is then put back in her crate as I leave where she stays for about 2.5 more hours until hubby awakens.

also agree about the middle of the night pee pee runs being all business. At 12 weeks ours couldn't yet make it through the night without a bathroom break.

hoping for a restful night for you soon. post updates.
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

10 weeks is pretty young to hold it too long, but it WILL improve! Any puppy is a lot like a human baby with the waking and having to go... unfortunately, puppy diapers are common!

I sympathize with the sleep loss, but I would bet within a month or less, the pup will gain longer periods of bladder control.

The tips on feeding more and taking away water at a certain point to let the bladder empty are also good tips to try.

Sorta' a random thought... if there is a trigger waking her at the ungodly early hour (newspaper...) maybe try a radio tuned to "soft" music to maybe drown out whatever may be setting her off??? Just a thought!

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

I dont think there is any noise that wakes her up and we do have a fan going to cause some white noise. We can start taking her water away earlier too. I am trying to keep her up more at night so that maybe she will be more tired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement