Need sleep! Please help!! - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

This playing once awake thing is difficult but as has been suggested, when you need to get her out during the night, and she will need to go once at least for now, no contact other than carrying her outside and bringing her back to her crate with a few biscuits.

I had those more recent buy-in puppies in their crates alongside my bed because I KNEW it was all going to kick off, especially with hounds. We turn in at around 11 pm so that's when mine go in their crates and when puppies, set my alarm for around 3 am to get them outside to pee. I also tried to anticipate them waking to try to avoid the idea that they shout, and I react. So even if asleep, I'd wake them and get them out. Putting them back to bed at that time of night generally meant that once I got back into bed and switched off the light, after a bit of complaining, they shut up and settled down until around 7 am at which point sleep was pointless. So it was up and outside again, and then breakfast.

I think that if you bring the going out time forward by an hour, should mean she'll go back to sleep again.

You are lucky, if in the n.hemisphere, that the nights are dark longer. Try having one into the Spring with birds kicking off by around 4.30!!

Another suggestion - try upping the heat a bit where she is. A chilly dog will be restless and once awake, will need to pee first, and then play.

ps I'm not big on removing water other than once the dog has gone to bed. If a dog is on a complete food, they need fresh water available at all times.

Last edited by FranksMum; 12-22-2012 at 08:42 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksMum View Post
ps I'm not big on removing water other than once the dog has gone to bed. If a dog is on a complete food, they need fresh water available at all times.
Agree, do not think it is right to leave a dog without access to water at 'any' time of day , thought it was illegal here in the UK but could be wrong.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

We have tried cutting back her water after I did some reading the other day. I think she was drinking over 24oz a day. No wonder why she was having so many accidents.

This morning went good though. She had us up around five, took her out and once she was done I put her in her crate and closed the door(first time we have tried this). After about 5 minutes of whining she went to sleep as was still sleeping when I got up at 7:30!
Sixguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

wonderful!!
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yeah!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Emma's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

Second night trying to crate her after she wakes up went great! She was up around 3 but after my wife took her out, she went to her crate and slept until 7!!!
Sixguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectisvagrant View Post
Agree, do not think it is right to leave a dog without access to water at 'any' time of day , thought it was illegal here in the UK but could be wrong.
The recently passed Charter would suggest that food, shelter and water must be provided (etc.). However, if not providing water 24/7 is illegal, sush because mine sleep in crates in my room overnight, without any water. But they ARE sleeping!!! And not needing to drink. If I felt they were in need of water during the night, they'd get it.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

I never deny water - when in their Xpen as pups and now they sleep in bed with us - and there is alway a water bowl in our bedroom. In all these years having three girls we have never had a UTI...
Old 12-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #19 (permalink)

I have water and dry kibble available while they are up and downstairs (7am - 11 pm or whenever I go to bed). No water at night, they sleep in the bedroom with me, but Jake has been known to wake me for both a drink and potty time. Ellie usually sleeps most the night (11 - 7) First stop, potty, then a drink... then of course breakfast for all.

As long as Ellie is put out just before bed, she is usually good for the night, but will wake me if she needs something. Jake, he is waking me a bit more, but he is getting older, which I have found can be an issue. I don't know if it is just "old age" or a prostate thing like with humans. Its not every night, but 2-3 times a week.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

Having a doggy door has been great. Now that Lyla is older (9 months), we are letting her sleep on the couch with Cooper (we put the crate away). She usually sleeps through the night. I can hear the doggy door open from my room, and it hardly ever happens during the night. We keep the water outside, so they always have access with the doggy door, but it does minimize the night-time drinking because it is cold out there (for Southern California, anyway
Cooper&Lyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement