Whining basset!!!! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Whining basset!!!!

Hello all!

I am the owner of a very loving basset hound. He is 2 years old and has a lot of energy (which is unusual for a basset right?) Over all he is a good dog. He does have some quirks but we are trying really hard to get over them. I need some advice though. He is a major attention hog. I have 2 other dogs besides him (a 9 year old yellow lab and a 4 year old Pomeranian) He is always antagonizing one of them. I know he is just playing and that is fine but if they don't want anything to do with him he comes to us and sits and whines for hours. He does this a lot. We will give him attention, play with him, let him outside, feed him if we think he is hungry, make sure he has water, etc. He whines all the time unless he is sleeping. My husband and I are at a loss because we don't understand what he wants. He is very jealous of the other dogs and me as well. If my husband hugs me or is sitting next to me he will come up to us and whine/ put his head on one of us/ or even scratch us with his paw. We have tried telling him to lay down and stay there but he only whines even more. We have told him no or enough thousands of times. Does anyone else have this issue with their basset? Any suggestions on what to do?? Help!
Max the Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hoss is 5 months old and is the exact same way. I was told by his trainer, who raises bassets, that males tend to be more whiny and needy that females. Hoss has a clean bill of health, so I know his whining is purely for attention or when he is bored. He is fine when he's sleeping, playing with my other dog (3 year old female cane corso/pit mix), eating, cuddling or playing with us. He just seems to get bored and starts whining. This can be confusing because he also whines when he wants to go out, but he is usually sitting by the door whining when he needs a potty break. He also sometimes just sits in front of me and barks at me, then he will come over to the couch and put his front paws up like he wants to come up, but when I go to give him a boost he jumps back and runs and then comes back for more, so it's like he's trying to get me to play with him.

On that note as long as your boy has a clean bill of health from his vet, I would say this is pretty normal and typical of bassets, especially males.

Hoss is my first Basset, but I'm sure some more experienced owners will be chiming in as well.
Hoss' Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
He is 2 years old and has a lot of energy (which is unusual for a basset right?)
nope perfectly normal the preception of basset as lazy is inacurate.

Quote:
He is a major attention hog.
nature of the breed you are not going to change that

Quote:
He is very jealous of the other dogs and me as well. If my husband hugs me or is sitting next to me he will come up to us and whine/ put his head on one of us/ or even scratch us with his paw. We have tried telling him to lay down and stay there but he only whines even more. We have told him no or enough thousands of times. Does anyone else have this issue with their basset?
totally useless conveying human emotions and motivations onto a dog. What most people call proof of jealousy is actually a learned behavior. It does not take a dog as intelligent as a basset hound very long to learn that getting attenion/pats/ear rubs etc is easier when it is being heaped on another dog. It is the nature of humans not to be able to ignore the behavior of the dog that butts in. It is the nature of humans to reward the behavior then complain about it afterwards. . The dog whines because it works, that is the bottom line.

The most common advice is to ignore the behavior, the butting in the whinning. Certainly, do not reward the dog for this behavior. It can work but usually does not simply because the humans can not follow the protocol. If they could the behavior would not exist in the first place. Then on top of that is a phenomenon known as an extinction burst in which if you ignore previously rewarded behavior the behavior get worse much worse before they extinguish/go away.

i reccomend the following for you

harmony Programme

and FEELING OUTNUMBERED? - HOW TO MANAGE & ENJOY A MULTI-DOG HOUSEHOLD, 2ND EDITION

for a fair reviewclick here
Quote:
Karen London and Patricia McConnell's Feeling Outnumbered? is an extremely brief, 38-page, paperback booklet that sets out to offer management tips for homes that contain multiple dogs. Described by the authors as a "Cliffs Notes" of sorts, this booklet does contain some good, practical ideas.
The guiding premise of the booklet is the value of teaching "polite, patient, and respectful" behaviors and making a conscious effort to reinforce these in situations where dogs might otherwise be pushy and demanding. The authors point out that, left unguided, many dogs will get pushier as they grasp for their own rewards, resulting in a mob of rude, potentially contentious dogs.
The authors recommend such things as teaching simple obedience exercises to each dog on an individual basis, interrupting overzealous play, controlling doorways, greetings, and mealtimes, teaching dogs to accept being segregated and to accept watching other dogs receive food and attention. The authors underscore the importance of teaching a dog frustration tolerance. All of this is sound and sensible advice.
For many humans alearn is better done by observing than simply reading there is a DVD version but I have not seen it so can not comment on its effectiveness.

Last edited by Mikey T; 12-20-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss' Mom View Post
Hoss is 5 months old and is the exact same way. I was told by his trainer, who raises bassets, that males tend to be more whiny and needy that females. Hoss has a clean bill of health, so I know his whining is purely for attention or when he is bored. He is fine when he's sleeping, playing with my other dog (3 year old female cane corso/pit mix), eating, cuddling or playing with us. He just seems to get bored and starts whining. This can be confusing because he also whines when he wants to go out, but he is usually sitting by the door whining when he needs a potty break. He also sometimes just sits in front of me and barks at me, then he will come over to the couch and put his front paws up like he wants to come up, but when I go to give him a boost he jumps back and runs and then comes back for more, so it's like he's trying to get me to play with him.

On that note as long as your boy has a clean bill of health from his vet, I would say this is pretty normal and typical of bassets, especially males.

Hoss is my first Basset, but I'm sure some more experienced owners will be chiming in as well.
This sounds just like Noba. If he thinks that he needs another playtime or attention (as if he doesn't get enough )... he will lay down and put his head between his front paws and start with a low pitch whine. Then stop, then the whine will get a decibel higher. This continues until he gets what he wants. And I know giving in is a bad thing but man, after a while, its too hard to resist their pushiness... lol... its too cute to ignore...

Loving a basset hound takes great patience, but is the most rewarding experience in the world!!
Noba's_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
And I know giving in is a bad thing but man, after a while, its too hard to resist their pushiness... lol... its too cute to ignore
that is a completely western notion it is neither bad no good, you just need to realize the consequence of that action, it will promote more of the same behavior unless you are more proactive. in providing the attention he wants and if you do that over time he will be less needy as well. keep it were he has to beg for attention then the begging will get more frequent.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

agree with Mikey T. We do "spontaneous belly rubs" where the girls get belly rubs without "asking"

also agree about the misperception of laziness....the bassets are the busiest hounds I have ever owned

ours responds well with games/toys that exploit their sense of smell and reward with a treat. sometimes just kibble rolled in a sock.
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the input!! I really appreciate it
Max the Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mikey - I like the word 'busy'. My impression after having Emma for about 6 weeks is she is always busy,busy,busy. But she doesn't like to go walk on a leash. She will just sit right there and refused to move!!! It's almost like she'll rather go smell all the stuff along the sidewalk and having a nice fun walk!!

And yes she is super whiny too! But it's getting better as she settles down in the house. It's about 9 miles drive to the kids' school and she can whine the whole way there!! And if I am lucky she may sleep on our way back....

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Emma's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

*than having a nice fun walk. Am I right to say that they are busy but not super active or high energy?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Emma's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

For Molly, smelling all the stuff along the sidewalk IS a nice, fun walk!
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement