Food Option Advice.... - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Food Option Advice....

So in the past, I have tried Noba on a variety of different high quality foods to see which ones work for him. He was on Innova Evo for a while, but developed an allergy, I think it was due to the Red Meat variety that they had some years back. He seems to develop either a sensitive stomach to most or food allergy rashes over time. I wanted to pick your brains about some suggestions about a high quality food for him, taking his sensitive stomach into account. Also, I've noticed that since he is so active (walks 5 miles a day with me, with play time for 2 hours at night and doggie daycare during the day - he doesn't slow down until about 930 at night), he needs more calories than most. If he goes a day without eating for whatever reason, he seems to look skinnier the next day. Anyway, what do you guys recommend? I was thinking Canidae, but I'm open to all options... no matter the cost. I just want him to have a good food that will suit his needs without having to keep doing the trial and error thing. Thanks!!

Loving a basset hound takes great patience, but is the most rewarding experience in the world!!
Noba's_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well luckily he doesn't sound to bad if he only developes a rash over time. But it could get worse who knows. Turtle is a major case so we will just bypass her. But my Bullmastiff would get a rash on her belly not over time but right away.

Strangely the foods she could eat without to many problems were EVO chicken,turkey formula or some of the Natures Logic. They have allot of different proteins to pick from even venison. They are suppose to be an allergy food but not sure if you can find them in your area.

I still feed Natures logic switching between different ones and then also use Fromm with my 2 dogs that eat kibble. I just think it makes sense to switch up the foods so they don't get use to eating only one food.

But Innova also makes California Natural that has limited ingredients and maybe that is where you could start, but remember it can take a while to get things out of his system.

I also think that if he has a sensitive stomach he could use a probiotic with his food.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

After years of trying one food after another & waffling on about wanting to feed raw, took the plunge over a year ago & would never go back to kibble/complete foods. The dogs love it, hasn't resolved all problems but so so much better & works out less expensive.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It really depends on the individual dog, what is a great food for one may be terrible for another. Best to experiment and see what works best for yours.

BTW, Evo made Chili itchy as well.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Like Soundtrack said each hound is so individual. We feed half kibble and half raw/homecooked. I like Orijen Fish as a kibble and it is good for my three - makes it a lot easier. I went through a lot of kibbles to find what suited them - especially as I have a yeasty skin problem girl.

Also to add Orijen is good for dogs that get good exercise and fish is generally best for sensitive tummies.

Last edited by shakespeare; 12-19-2012 at 03:11 PM.
shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

How do you know what to feed your dog when it's homecooked or raw? My mom's vet told her to give her dog cooked chicken and rice when he had colitis and he did great on it - but I wondered how you know if that's a varied enough diet and how much to give them?
I'd love to wean my dog off kibble. I just think she'd be happier...
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
He seems to develop either a sensitive stomach to most or food allergy rashes over time.
trying different food willy nilly is not going to work. First you need to determine if the allergery is actually to food or something else. Food allergies are actually less common than people thing making up around 15% of all the allergies and 85% OF dogs with food allergies have atopy ( inhalent and contact allergies) as well. So if over time the rash appear it may not be the food at all. You need an exclusionary/elimination diet or a perscription hypoallergenic food to begin sorting out the allergies,.

Food hypersensitivities: Performing an elimination diet trial

with a variety of dog foods over an extended period or even a short period of time makes doing an elimination diet much harder. It often leaves hypo allergenic perscription food the only choice. It is best to under take any of this with the consent and help of a vet and I would highly recommend seeking out a vet that specializes in dermatology Find a dermatologist

Last edited by Mikey T; 12-20-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebobinar View Post
How do you know what to feed your dog when it's homecooked or raw? My mom's vet told her to give her dog cooked chicken and rice when he had colitis and he did great on it - but I wondered how you know if that's a varied enough diet and how much to give them?
I'd love to wean my dog off kibble. I just think she'd be happier...
Feeding just chicken and rice would not be a varied enough diet long term. I feed my Maddie and Richter kibble with something home cooked and they also get some raw but never raw mixed with cooked because they digest it differently. So I wait 12 hours between when I feed those.

One thing I like to cook up is I put chicken thighs in a crock pot but I have to cook them about 20 hours then I sometimes put in some heart, beef or what ever kind with some liver then I put in maybe carrots, zucchini, celery what ever I have change it up. I put the other stuff in for maybe and hour but after the chicken cooks for along time then the bones will turn soft then I let it cool and I break up the bones.

You can do it with any kind of meat and veggies if I am out of dog food then I will sometimes put a little rice in there. I like to give my dogs more meat so I don't put much in but each to his own.

Because of allergy's Turtle and Marlo get no carbs, Turtle mainly she is my real bad one. In September she got a loaf of bread off the counter and I am not kidding she was itching that day and did horribly for over a month. Then her ears have been getting the dark brown gunk running out of them. I think they are getting better but I caught her in the compost pile 2 days ago and yesterday they were a little worse again.

If I can keep her off the carbs she gets better. That's all I know is food seems to really trigger both my dogs.

Ok I know I got a little long winded but I guess I'm trying to tell you there is a little to feeding a home cooked or raw but it's not as hard as one would think you just need someone to help get you started. My recipe will help to start you and you can mix it with your kibble like I do then it's real easy. Then just go from there after you do a little research.

Makes mine very happy, we think just plain old kibble is boring

Oh I hate to be a poop but I would never feed the vets allergy food, saw dust no way. Well at least mine recommends Hills..... powdered cellulose is saw dust.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

We had alot of issues with Henry and food, we found that the natures recipe salmon and sweet potatoe he not only loved but is grain free and gave him a wonderful coat and did not upset his stomache at all - he is very sensative to most foods. The more people that i speak to that use this food the more happy i am to advocate it. I know of at least 5 people who have extreme sensitivity cases that have animals who now thrive on it. We have moved over to taste of the wild for a bit as i drive past a store that sells it and he loves this also. Its more expensive and he doesnt go mad for it like he did the other but it will do until for now. We tried the grain free Hills food a few weeks ago as i can get it from the clinic i work at, withing 2 days hens tummy was sore and he had bumps all over him.
henry'smum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Andwise

also try to feed them some dog foods like pedigree etc. this would surely help them a lot and make sure to feed them regular meat in their diet.
Advertisement